• Current Donation Goals

kev61   

I hope we will be all over them like a rash and keep the attacking prowess we have shown in the first two games.Like a boxer with a big punch against an opponent that doesn't we should batter them with our attack with them getting the odd jab.

I hope it is not new manager syndrome but we should be way too good for Newcastle with our attack even with Morata.

xCELERYx   
16 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

The thing with Morata is he is technically and all round our best CF, his problem is a confidence/desire/attitude one - something that has been touched upon by Sarri. For me, he gets until Jan to play himself into form and maintain it. Giroud is always better off the bench anyway so I would keep him as an impact sub. 

His problems go beyond confidence, desire and attitude. These excuses have been ever present going back to his days at Juventus and the tune hasn't changed since. I've honestly cannot recall a player who has had so many excuses put forward to justify his constant sub par performances. Confidence, attitude, desire, injuries, referees, opposition players and most recently Conte's playing style - as if he's never played for other top clubs, top managers, or with other elite players alongside him. 

It's a bit of a joke really.

Personally, he was a lost cause well before we signed him and entirely ill-suited for our needs. Going forward I'd  much rather see Giroud or Tammy get minutes ahead of him, while we make plans to offload him in the not so distant future for whatever money we can recoup. 

xCELERYx   
13 hours ago, paulw66 said:

He wasn't £70m, it was nearer £50m plus add ons, which I presume he hasn't met yet. I'm willing to give him another season with this new style of football which I think will suit him better. He was also carrying a back injury which didn't help last season and still averaged a goal every 187 minutes, which is far from terrible in a team that played horribly defensively. Giroud is great with his hold up play, but he isn't all that mobile for a team that is trying to press.  For the record, Giroud averaged a PL goal for us every 203 minutes. 

As for Batshuyai, his all round game just isn't up to it. His performances against Burnley at home and Palace away at the start of last season were testament to that. His control and hold up play is awful, albeit he is a good finisher. 

£60m I believe was the "official" price. Which was about £30m too much for him to begin with. Again, there's always an excuse with Morata to justify his often inept performances. He scored the bulk of his goals against the lower half sides (as he's largely done in his career) and when we've really needed our CF to stand up and be counted we've been left in the lurch. It's hard to trust a player when we don't know if he's going to offer a 2/10 performance or a 7/10. Which is where someone like Giroud has an advantage because at least we know what we're going to get - plus his far better hold up and link play is something that will benefit someone like Hazard and Pedro more than anything Morata offers.

Edited by xCELERYx

7 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

£60m I believe was the "official" price. Which was about £30m too much for him to begin with. 

I'm not Morata's biggest fan, but you seem to have taken this to a whole different level. Claiming his actual price would be closer to £30m is absolutely laughable though. Just have a look at the prices strikers are going for. 

£58m was a good deal all things considered. That he was bound to fail in Conte's defensive system wasn't perhaps so surprising. After all, he isn't Diego Maradona, Lionel Messi and Pele combined into one. 11 PL goals and 6 assists in 2,055 minutes. That's a goal or assist in every 120 mins or a goal every 186 mins. He started 24 PL games and scored 11 goals - that's 0,45 goals/start.  Far from disastrous. Incidentally, roughly the same average he has started this season with. 

I'll reserve my judgement to after this season. A full season under Sarri, a manager who wants to play football, and we should have a far better opportunity to judge Morata. Being the lone striker and the only blue shirt within a 35m radius for most of last season was hardly ideal. He had no one to play with apart from Hazard. The more I think about it, the less impressed I am of Conte. All things considered a pretty bad manager for us (despite the title win under very favourable circumstances).  

Many of your comments regarding Alvaro are completely alien to me. I've seen you say he can't hold up the ball very well, or that he lacks intelligence on the pitch. Both points being something I disagree with completely. As in, I'm taking the opposite view to you on that. If Alvaro could finish like other top strikers he'd be one of the very best. I stand by that. If he had better finishing he'd had 25 goals last season. That's what is missing. Technically he is superb. Intelligent and makes all the right runs and moves. It's the finishing with his feet that he lacks. 

Finishing isn't exactly something that is a fixed quality. It depends on so many variables, many of them mental. 

Edited by The_Ghost

7 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I'm not Morata's biggest fan, but you seem to have taken this to a whole different level. Claiming his actual price would be closer to £30m is absolutely laughable though. Just have a look at the prices strikers are going for. 

£58m was a good deal all things considered. That he was bound to fail in Conte's defensive system wasn't perhaps so surprising. After all, he isn't Diego Maradona, Lionel Messi and Pele combined into one. 11 PL goals and 6 assists in 2,055 minutes. That's a goal or assist in every 120 mins or a goal every 186 mins. He started 24 PL games and scored 11 goals - that's 0,45 goals/start.  Far from disastrous. Incidentally, roughly the same average he has started this season with. 

I'll reserve my judgement to after this season. A full season under Sarri, a manager who wants to play football, and we should have a far better opportunity to judge Morata. Being the lone striker and the only blue shirt within a 35m radius for most of last season was hardlöy ideal. He had no one to play with aåpart from Hazard. The more I think about it, the less impressed I am of Conte. All things considered a pretty bad manager for us (despite the title win under very favourable circumstances).  

Many of your comments regarding Alvaro are completely alien to me. I've seen you say he can't hold up the ball very well, or that he lacks intelligence on the pitch. Both points being somehting I disagree with completely. As in, I'm taking the opposite view to you on that. If Alvaro could finish like other top strikers he'd be one of the very best. I stand by that. If he had better finishing he'd had 25 goals last season. That's what is missing. Technically he is superb. Intelligent and makes all the right runs and moves. It's the finishing with his feet that he lacks. 

Finishing isn't exactly something that is a fixed quality. It depends on so many variables, many of them mental. 

Agree with most of that, he has many qualities but at times doesn't take chances you want him to especially one on one. But he is smart, mobile and technically very good. I don't understand the need to have a scapegoat when things aren't going quite as we would like. Bakayoko, Pedro, Morata, Conte.....at some point you have to accept football is a sport where your team can underperform at times.

Morata is the type of striker that he can score 2, maybe 3 goals every game or he can miss all of them.. he should be a superb player as he is fast, technically gifted and makes some really good moves to create chances. 

asvaberg   
On 20.8.2018 at 1:28 PM, fillerywhereru said:

I'm expecting some ups and downs this season, we have an awful record at St James Park and the lovely Mr Benitez is particularly good at stiffling free flowing attacking teams. We might find out how adaptable Mr Sarri is willing to be in this one. I think this might be a draw.

"Waiter, there's a yawn in my ear" :) :)

waiter, there's a yawn in my ear.png

• Like 1

Bison   
2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

I'll reserve my judgement to after this season. A full season under Sarri, a manager who wants to play football, and we should have a far better opportunity to judge Morata. Being the lone striker and the only blue shirt within a 35m radius for most of last season was hardly ideal. He had no one to play with apart from Hazard. The more I think about it, the less impressed I am of Conte. All things considered a pretty bad manager for us (despite the title win under very favourable circumstances).  

Many of your comments regarding Alvaro are completely alien to me. I've seen you say he can't hold up the ball very well, or that he lacks intelligence on the pitch. Both points being something I disagree with completely. As in, I'm taking the opposite view to you on that. If Alvaro could finish like other top strikers he'd be one of the very best. I stand by that. If he had better finishing he'd had 25 goals last season. That's what is missing. Technically he is superb. Intelligent and makes all the right runs and moves. It's the finishing with his feet that he lacks. 

Hard to believe what I'm reading.

An intelligent, technically superb striker that makes all the right runs would be a far better footballer than Morata. You have just described the likes of Aguero & Kane I.e. strikers of world class quality.

Morata has 50 club goals at the age of 25. He's not even close to what you've just described.

18 minutes ago, Bison said:

Hard to believe what I'm reading.

An intelligent, technically superb striker that makes all the right runs would be a far better footballer than Morata. You have just described the likes of Aguero & Kane I.e. strikers of world class quality.

Morata has 50 club goals at the age of 25. He's not even close to what you've just described.

Well I guess it depends on what you expect. Agüero is a very powerful and aggressive striker. Completely different style of play. 

In the end I guess it depends on how you remember last season. All the missed chances or some imaginery deficiency that leads to him not getting any chances to score. You can make up whatever reality you want, but try to deny the countless of chances he missed. Most of them came about because he did something well in the first place. 

Take Torres as an example. When he played, he didn't even miss that many chances because he didn't create any or was served up a chance by one of his team members. Morata's problem is not that he doesn't know where to run, or what to do. It is the execution of goalscoring opportunities that is his main issue. One can only start to imagine what all those missed chances meant to his confidence. In a team, that played ULTRA-defensive football with Morata and Hazard some 20-30 meters away from him at almost all times. 

No striker can consistently score goals in such a defensive side. No striker.

12 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Which is where someone like Giroud has an advantage because at least we know what we're going to get - plus his far better hold up and link play is something that will benefit someone like Hazard and Pedro more than anything Morata offers.

I would argue that Moratas link up play is far superior and he links well with our AM's, particularly Hazard, with the first time flick on. Probably the only redeeming feature of his overall play other than headed goals. Not disagreeing with the rest of your post!