• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Newcastle 1 Chelsea 2

14 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

A lot of the criticism thrown at Drogba in year 1 and 2 are the same as the ones being thrown at Morata - namely, goes down too easily, and not good enough in front of goal. Who knows what will happen with Morata, but the similarities so far plentiful 

and equally we've wasted our time and energy on the likes of Torres. Truth is you have to go with your gut sometimes and my gut says he hasnt got what it takes (wont stop me cheering my head off if he scores Sunday though).

And the Drogba diving thing was a bit of a myth. If he was kicked (which he was often) he'd make a bit of a drama of it...roll around clutching the injured area etc ..some say he just had a low pain threshold, but I don't think I ever saw him blatantly dive in the penalty box with zero contact like I've seen Morata do. I wouldn't call Drogba a cheat but I think I might hang that label on Morata. He embarrassed me last season.    

My postman used to call Drogba "Dropper". In his (Drogba's) autobiography, he refers to being accused of diving - turned out he'd broken several ribs. Still hoping that Morata comes good, but then I was optimistic about Sutton, too.

paulw66   
23 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

and equally we've wasted our time and energy on the likes of Torres. Truth is you have to go with your gut sometimes and my gut says he hasnt got what it takes (wont stop me cheering my head off if he scores Sunday though).

And the Drogba diving thing was a bit of a myth. If he was kicked (which he was often) he'd make a bit of a drama of it...roll around clutching the injured area etc ..some say he just had a low pain threshold, but I don't think I ever saw him blatantly dive in the penalty box with zero contact like I've seen Morata do. I wouldn't call Drogba a cheat but I think I might hang that label on Morata. He embarrassed me last season.    

I genuinely don't remember that happening once. Falling to the ground with minimal contact, yes. Falling to the ground with no contact.....that was left for Pedro last season. 

paulw66   

Even if we get a point, it is another point gained on last year. 

We picked up +2 on Saturday, and another win would put us on +5, which was the gap we need to make up to get back in the top 4*

*all things being equal, but 75 points is normally enough

kev61   
10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

A lot of the criticism thrown at Drogba in year 1 and 2 are the same as the ones being thrown at Morata - namely, goes down too easily, and not good enough in front of goal. Who knows what will happen with Morata, but the similarities so far plentiful 

Drogba showed potential( which is subjective) in his early time with us.Morata has shown nothing - why do we mothball the young players and persist with failures!.morata is a failure it cries out for him to be sold.

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

Drogba showed potential( which is subjective) in his early time with us.Morata has shown nothing - why do we mothball the young players and persist with failures!.morata is a failure it cries out for him to be sold.

Maybe the club is trying to learn something from selling de Bruyne and Salah after they “showed nothing”. To give him a second season is not unreasonable.

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

3 wins in a row would be great for team morale. FSW will be up for it as usual but 2-1 to us will do nicely.

Call me greedy but I'd like 18 points going into the Liverpool game on 29 September! Up until then we're playing teams where we should dominate possession.

21 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Hindsight is easy I agree, but there were many questioning Morata's pedigree when he arrived here.

If you were Sarri what would be your plan with Morata? Give him until Christmas as our main striker regardless of his form?  Play him the whole season? ....and if there's no change? ....give him another season? There must be some point when you'd say enough is enough?  Likewise if he hits a sustained spell of form I'll happily eat humble pie...he's got an early goal, it should do his confidence good, average team coming up, let's see what if he can muster. 

I think as first choice striker this is make or break for Morata in the coming months though Sarri may already have a replacement/other option in mind but couldnt get them in the transfer window. I agree with most of the points regarding him, ie hasn't sustained form, has the tools but doesnt always use them, etc but he was certainly not a disaster last season nor the reason we didn't ,make top 4. Hazard taking a rest for 3 months or Christiensens  innexperience/form wobbles was just as much of a factor just to pick two 

I think Morata showed enough last season to suggest he deserves a chance to prove he can be the main man up there.