• Current Donation Goals

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Pedro is hugely underrated. Score goals, works hard. Fit as a butcher's dog. That he and Willian spent so long on the bench last season was a big problem. 

What goals we get from midfield remains to be seen, but how often did Barkley and Kante get forward? A lot if I recall. 

They did, I Barkley had a decent shot that Cech tipped over, I thought he did quite OK but perhaps tired a bit 2nd half. I think he can play a part this season but by that of course 4 or 5 goals are a must.

I think with Pedro some people don't like the fact that he loses the ball a fair amount (usually by trying something creative) but his finishing and link up play can be excellent.Willian keeps the ball better but his end product varies but he is the kind of player who scares opponents.

5 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

But can you pin the whole thing on Bakayoko? I don't think so and even if you can that guy has an FA cup winners medal and played a bit better towards the end of last season. I think it was a number of factors including temperamental players not liking /no longer buying into the methods that won them the league just months previous.

No, it's not his fault... he just isn't good enough at this level. I think he tried hard, I really do but only in a couple of games did he look close to where he should be. I blame Conte for continually picking him... it was almost sadistic to put him through it . I think it was the Watford game (a crucial game for us) that the wheels completely fell off his game and he was sent off halfway through first half. He should never ever have been picked for that game and it was the beginning of the end of our top four challenge.   

4 hours ago, BlueWill said:

He did well till citeh came to the Bridge. Word was he wouldn't play owing to injury, yet AC started him and he limped off after, what 30 mins in which he hadn't looked 'right' at all. AC then rushed him back for Roma, when he was so ineffectual he might just as well have not been on the pitch.. Dismiss that as coincidence if you wish. Playing someone who is unfit and knows it, will not draw a decent performance and can delay recovery. I believe his good start did give him confidence and why on earth wouldn't it?

Well that's the big question... after that great start he scored 3 or 4 more goals for the rest of that very large chunk of the season (probably 2/3rds of the season?) . So what do we conclude from that? There are a few possibilities: 

1) He got lucky in the first few games then the real Morata showed up.

2) He got good service at the start and very poor service in that latter period ( not sure about that after seeing the amount of sitters he missed)

3) He was carrying an injury (maybe...but did you see his preseason and charity shield recently...looked no different to last season?)

4)  He lost all confidence at some point and his form took a massive dive from which he never really recovered.  

5) There's no problem with him and we shouldn't be concerned.

I think you have to pick one of those. I'll go for 1 or 4.

Blue Rod   
9 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

They did, I Barkley had a decent shot that Cech tipped over, I thought he did quite OK but perhaps tired a bit 2nd half. I think he can play a part this season but by that of course 4 or 5 goals are a must.

I think with Pedro some people don't like the fact that he loses the ball a fair amount (usually by trying something creative) but his finishing and link up play can be excellent.Willian keeps the ball better but his end product varies but he is the kind of player who scares opponents.

Some players are better when the game is almost static. Mikel is an example. His strength on the ball and his "whatever" passes suited a dug-in game. Other players, like Pedro, come to life in a fast attacking game. it's horses for courses, as always. 

For the first time in years I actually go into this one expecting a win against Newcastle.

Committing so many players to attack I feel that we can absolutely blitz them unless we drop off like we did for the 20mins vs Arsenal.

• Like 1

Ham   
4 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Too much of a risk to start both Kovacic and Hazard? 

Maybe against City or Liverpool but not the barcodes.  They looked incredible together in the second half against Arsenal.

Sarri has already said that Hazard will probably only get 60 minutes. I'd rather smash them from the off and take him off with the game safe. 

kev61   
7 hours ago, Ham said:

I'd rather smash them from the off and take him off with the game safe. 

We need to 'smash' more teams from the off Ham I agree and stop this nonsense that we should change tactics because we are away from home.We are an attacking force - play to our strengths and we should win this game easily.