• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Newcastle 1 Chelsea 2

Blue Rod   
On 22/08/2018 at 11:45 AM, fillerywhereru said:

Agree with most of that, he has many qualities but at times doesn't take chances you want him to especially one on one. But he is smart, mobile and technically very good. I don't understand the need to have a scapegoat when things aren't going quite as we would like. Bakayoko, Pedro, Morata, Conte.....at some point you have to accept football is a sport where your team can underperform at times.

Obviously the fee we paid for Morata reflected the potential we found in him. My biggest problem with Morata is not the number of goals he scores. It is him giving the ball away far too cheaply trying to turn and dribble. In some matches like against Man Utd last season he'd do that again and again.

This creates a dilemma for the team - should they commit men to support the attack when the ball gets to Morata, or should they sit back to deal with the inevitable counter attack?

I would give Morata and the team a simple advice: not losing the ball is number one priority. Goals will come from all sorts of positions.

We have a couple of nice wins under our belt and I see this game as a way of making a statement to the rest of the league....'beware Chelsea because they can tear you apart'. If teams think we have a weakness in defence, then good. If they think we have a rock solid impregnable back line (as we have had in the past) teams will just put ten men behind the ball and try and make us weave our way through which is never easy. If the oppo commit a few players to attack we can exploit that situation better IMO. 

Lets make City, Dippers and Spurs wary of what we can do to them (and any other team) when we are on our game. The 3 points are important of course, but what is equally important is how the new Chelsea look and how good we can potentially be. 

(I'm interested to see Kante's role in this one)

4 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Obviously the fee we paid for Morata reflected the potential we found in him. My biggest problem with Morata is not the number of goals he scores. It is him giving the ball away far too cheaply trying to turn and dribble. In some matches like against Man Utd last season he'd do that again and again.

This creates a dilemma for the team - should they commit men to support the attack when the ball gets to Morata, or should they sit back to deal with the inevitable counter attack?

I would give Morata and the team a simple advice: not losing the ball is number one priority. Goals will come from all sorts of positions.

Yes I think I'll go with much of that. I understand it's difficult with Chelsea supporters and Morata at the moment and there's an awful lot of fence sitting going. We need him so badly to succeed but we also need the Morata that we had for much of last season like a hole in the head. My advice for him would be to be a bit more like Giroud. Hold the ball up well, bring others into play and stop worrying about trying to dribble past 3 or 4 players because you aint Hazard in that area of your play. Heading is your big strength so when a cross comes in make sure you are in a good positive area to either knock it back into play or make a goal attempt.   The finishing is something we just have to cross our fingers and hope.

I think the only surprise is both Barkley and RLC on the bench given what Sarri recently said. Otherwise it's the starting XI that makes most sense.

Didn’t get round to commenting after the win v Arsenal - in short, one of the best attacking displays and worst defensive displays from us I’ve seen in many moons. Many positives though (aside from the win).

Naturally, this is Newcastle’s annual Champions League final performance - that said, we’re due to give them a massive hiding at their place one of these days. IF we can start well then it COULD be a decent day... So important to set the tone early away up there for us.

Nothing less than a win today.

COME ON YOU CHELS!!!

Leo91   

Why didn't Kante or Hazard shoot at the end there!? Golden opportunity.