• Current Donation Goals

Kezza

Kante and Jorginho - The Conundrum

paulw66   

Additionally, something I noticed from Saturday, a midfield 3 of Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante, with a front 3 of Hazard, Willian, Pedro, means we have a very short team. Vulnerable from set pieces, as was proved. Equally, non threatening from offensive ones. Jorginho the tallest out of those at 5'11, the rest are all tiny. 

At least with Morata or Giroud on the field, then can take up the near post position from corners and head it clear. 

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Additionally, something I noticed from Saturday, a midfield 3 of Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante, with a front 3 of Hazard, Willian, Pedro, means we have a very short team. Vulnerable from set pieces, as was proved. Equally, non threatening from offensive ones. Jorginho the tallest out of those at 5'11, the rest are all tiny. 

At least with Morata or Giroud on the field, then can take up the near post position from corners and head it clear. 

Not sure I agree with this.

5'11 is only an inch shorter than Lampard who took up that near post position all his career in much bigger teams.  
All 4 defenders (and both back up FBs) are strong man-on-man defenders in the air.  I can see that a 5th man marker is a slight advantage but nothing of the kind that offsets having a playable CF. 

I know there are opinions on zonal vs m4m, but I think we are going to go zonal however many bug guys we have.  VAR is going to force it as grappling eventually disappears.

The goal by Newcastle for a corner - Clark was up against Luiz with Rudiger the next nearest man.  Lack of height wasn't an issue.

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not sure I agree with this.

5'11 is only an inch shorter than Lampard who took up that near post position all his career in much bigger teams.  
All 4 defenders (and both back up FBs) are strong man-on-man defenders in the air.  I can see that a 5th man marker is a slight advantage but nothing of the kind that offsets having a playable CF. 

I know there are opinions on zonal vs m4m, but I think we are going to go zonal however many bug guys we have.  VAR is going to force it as grappling eventually disappears.

The goal by Newcastle for a corner - Clark was up against Luiz with Rudiger the next nearest man.  Lack of height wasn't an issue.

Maybe not on this occasion, maybe it was. 

You mention Lampard being an inch taller, but he'd have Drogba and or possibly Ballack next to him. And of course, he had the greatest PL centre half in there too, and later Ivanovic at right back, built like a centre back.

You're not really arguing that the team on Saturday wasn't small?

26 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

1.  Maybe not on this occasion, maybe it was. 

2.  You mention Lampard being an inch taller, but he'd have Drogba and or possibly Ballack next to him. And of course, he had the greatest PL centre half in there too, and later Ivanovic at right back, built like a centre back.

3. You're not really arguing that the team on Saturday wasn't small?

1.  If it was it was only in distracting Luiz from Clark by assuming the ball would be sent to somewhere Luiz and Rudiger weren't.  That is a pretty obscure reason.

2.  And Ashley Cole instead of Alonso.

3.  It was small for a bottom half of table team.  But other than JM's Man U, I haven't noticed any top 6 teams much bigger. I'd make the Hazard team 3rd tallest, a little behind OGS's Man U and Spurs, taller than the other 3.
I'm indifferent right now between Hazard and Giroud at CF, there is much to say for both.  I just don't think a 5th man marker at corners makes much difference to that key decision.  We are zonal anyway.