• Current Donation Goals

Kezza

Kante and Jorginho - The Conundrum

Kezza   

Kante last season had the highest interception and 3rd highest blocks in the league. Be interesting to see these stats drop dramatically this season I will predict. Can only mean a good thing maybe as Sarri ball will have so much possession there will be less defending required of Kante. He will be vital still for winning the second balls though. It does seem strange not seeing Kante steal and intercept the ball as much the last 2 games. Interesting note is who is at the top in interceptions so far this season and its Guendouzi. Stats must have loaded up from having to deal with City and our attacks in the first two games. Can only be a positive I guess if we suffocate the opposition possession wise so much so that Kante doesn't seem that special anymore is it?

21 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Very insubstantial comparison there. Managers don't win trophies on their own. It's a combination of their ideas and the work they then do with players. Not all clubs are equal. In Italy Juve is a behemoth, while Napoli has never had anything like the same status and recognition. Their only successful period was when they managed to acquire Maradona. Otherwise, they've been a perennial bit part player in La Liga and Sarri did magnificently well with them and may very well do so again with a credible club and team.

I accept that it is the team that does the winning but it seems to be the manager who carries the can. Conte got the push and was subject of our fans frustration at times last season despite some of his players not doing it on the field.  Personally I would have been happy to see Conte still in charge he is a winner. But Sarri is in and I back him now as Chelsea manager, but I wonder how much patience our fans have? We will of course still sell out if we are 6th place and playing exciting football but for how long is that acceptable if no trophies/visible progress is there? 

Say for instance Liverpool finally break their duck and win the league and we sit in 5th or 6th or Spurs win a cup whilst we are in transition? Can people handle that? We have had a wonderful 15 years of trophies with more or less a template football wise. That template is being changed and may take time to kick in...

Kezza   
16 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

I accept that it is the team that does the winning but it seems to be the manager who carries the can. Conte got the push and was subject of our fans frustration at times last season despite some of his players not doing it on the field.  Personally I would have been happy to see Conte still in charge he is a winner. But Sarri is in and I back him now as Chelsea manager, but I wonder how much patience our fans have? We will of course still sell out if we are 6th place and playing exciting football but for how long is that acceptable if no trophies/visible progress is there? 

Say for instance Liverpool finally break their duck and win the league and we sit in 5th or 6th or Spurs win a cup whilst we are in transition? Can people handle that? We have had a wonderful 15 years of trophies with more or less a template football wise. That template is being changed and may take time to kick in...

Chill out. It's only 2 games into the season and you are already making a case for when and if Sarri is unsuccessful, even thinking so far ahead about how long this supposedly win nothing streak can last. We haven't even seen any signs of Sarri doing anything wrong in the first two games and now we are speculating what happens when he's successful. Isn't that a bit energy draining when it could be diverted to discussing something more present? In fact Sarri has done great this two games and yet we are making a case of referencing him potentially to the likes of Liverpool or Spurs.

Edited by Kezza

Kezza   
On 8/23/2018 at 9:36 PM, PeteRobbo said:

Very insubstantial comparison there. Managers don't win trophies on their own. It's a combination of their ideas and the work they then do with players. Not all clubs are equal. In Italy Juve is a behemoth, while Napoli has never had anything like the same status and recognition. Their only successful period was when they managed to acquire Maradona. Otherwise, they've been a perennial bit part player in La Liga and Sarri did magnificently well with them and may very well do so again with a credible club and team.

Rightly so! Every big damn club can't win a trophy every season. If Spurs or Liverpool wins one then we will condemn the likes of United, Real, Chelsea or City for having not won anything. The negativity will always be there. There's only 4 trophies to go around every season. And out of the 4, the 2 major ones goes to the most dominant teams in recent years. There's not enough to go around to justify calling any team a failure if they don't win anything. Now there's a too 6 or 7 in England. If City wins it, the other top 6 can't. If Pool wins the FA, Chelsea and Spurs can't, etc. Even Jose didn't win anything last season after having won two the season before. And Liverpool did well to get to the CL Final last season only to face a dominant Real. It's unfortunate!

Edited by Kezza

6 hours ago, Kezza said:

Rightly so! Every big damn club can't win a trophy every season. If Spurs or Liverpool wins one then we will condemn the likes of United, Real, Chelsea or City for having not won anything. The negativity will always be there. There's only 4 trophies to go around every season. And out of the 4, the 2 major ones goes to the most dominant teams in recent years. There's not enough to go around to justify calling any team a failure if they don't win anything. Now there's a too 6 or 7 in England. If City wins it, the other top 6 can't. If Pool wins the FA, Chelsea and Spurs can't, etc. Even Jose didn't win anything last season after having won two the season before. And Liverpool did well to get to the CL Final last season only to face a dominant Real. It's unfortunate!

Yep, agreed Kezza.

22 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

Yes, I agree, but, in my case, I'm excited by the prospect of the change and welcome it, rather than walking around with a furrowed brow concerned about it because it's a new venture for us. Certainly at this stage anyway.

Since Roman bought the club we've won a lot of stuff and become one of the big clubs, but it hasn't always been good even so, not even when we won something in my opinion. Conte was great in his first season and deserved all the plaudits he received. Last season, however, was dreadful and he was significant amongst the culprits.

• Like 1

Ham   

The most impressive thing about Kante and Jorginho is their humility. 

This is already well known about Kante but if any of you are on instagram, follow Jorginho Frello.  He's absolutely loving life, a real family man and his mum is a legend.

Kezza   
5 minutes ago, Ham said:

The most impressive thing about Kante and Jorginho is their humility. 

This is already well known about Kante but if any of you are on instagram, follow Jorginho Frello.  He's absolutely loving life, a real family man and his mum is a legend.

You mean he's nothing like Pogba?