• Current Donation Goals

Kezza

Kante and Jorginho - The Conundrum

Recommended Posts

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

With PSG chasing Kante , I can see a swap for someone like Draxler occurring at some point , attacking midfielder / Winger , two footed , can play left , right or down the middle and has a goal in him. 

It would be a shame as players like Kante are not easy to pick up but we're wasting him at the moment . ( this is not a slight on Sarri , Kante or anybody )

Yup....... It's not the position Kante is playing that is the problem, it is the style we are playing.

If you were to list Kante's biggest strengths, you would say.....tackling, interceptions, stamina, speed. When you have possession for 75% of the game, and the other team is sitting on the edge of their box, those attributes are not going to be utilised in any of the 3 midfield slots.  Against Liverpool, expect it will be different, as we will have more work to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kezza   

It's deliberate. Barkley was playing more advanced today and then Kante came on and took his place with Barkley going deeper. Strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kezza   
On 9/25/2018 at 9:26 PM, paulw66 said:

Yup....... It's not the position Kante is playing that is the problem, it is the style we are playing.

If you were to list Kante's biggest strengths, you would say.....tackling, interceptions, stamina, speed. When you have possession for 75% of the game, and the other team is sitting on the edge of their box, those attributes are not going to be utilised in any of the 3 midfield slots.  Against Liverpool, expect it will be different, as we will have more work to do. 

Looks like you're wrong as Kante took Barkley's nore advanced position when he came on. Perhaps we needed a goal and we needed Kante's pressing? If so it means Sarri believes Kante will get us a goal more so than Barkley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
On 25/09/2018 at 11:26 PM, paulw66 said:

Yup....... It's not the position Kante is playing that is the problem, it is the style we are playing.

If you were to list Kante's biggest strengths, you would say.....tackling, interceptions, stamina, speed. When you have possession for 75% of the game, and the other team is sitting on the edge of their box, those attributes are not going to be utilised in any of the 3 midfield slots.  Against Liverpool, expect it will be different, as we will have more work to do. 

Kante can still fit in Sarri's system, Sarri just needs to alter his role to one that's played more in the middle than it is in advanced areas. He could quite easily give Kante's more attacking role to Kovacic (who played more advanced at Inter), give a bit more freedom for Jorginho to push forward when required in a similar way that Fabregas has been utilised over the years, then allow Kante to hold the midfield a little more than he currently does - this will also add extra protection if played at LCM for Alonso and Luiz. This wouldn't prevent Jorginho from still being our metronome in midfield as he is now.

Even though we are more possession based under Sarri there's still a place for where Kante can still be dominating. He may not record the statistical numbers like he was previously doing because we're not always on the back foot as much, however given how open we can be on the counter he's the only player we really have that has the athletic game to cover the ground. We just don't need him being the one breaking from midfield and into the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
6 hours ago, Kezza said:

Looks like you're wrong as Kante took Barkley's nore advanced position when he came on. Perhaps we needed a goal and we needed Kante's pressing? If so it means Sarri believes Kante will get us a goal more so than Barkley.

eh? 

Pressing is also a strength, but again a strength that benefits when we don't have the ball. 

In most games, we are going to have 75% ish of the ball, so again another strength that is negated by the possession based football 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Kante can still fit in Sarri's system, Sarri just needs to alter his role to one that's played more in the middle than it is in advanced areas. He could quite easily give Kante's more attacking role to Kovacic (who played more advanced at Inter), give a bit more freedom for Jorginho to push forward when required in a similar way that Fabregas has been utilised over the years, then allow Kante to hold the midfield a little more than he currently does - this will also add extra protection if played at LCM for Alonso and Luiz. This wouldn't prevent Jorginho from still being our metronome in midfield as he is now.

Even though we are more possession based under Sarri there's still a place for where Kante can still be dominating. He may not record the statistical numbers like he was previously doing because we're not always on the back foot as much, however given how open we can be on the counter he's the only player we really have that has the athletic game to cover the ground. We just don't need him being the one breaking from midfield and into the box.

In effect a more fluid version of 4-2-3-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kezza   

Anyone feels Kovacic and Barkley instead of Kante could be better in this team? Crazy to think that but yeah. It's been a while since we say "Kante was everywhere in this match!"

Edited by Kezza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ I'm probably in that camp. I do not see how Kanté can be the automatic starter at this stage. Well, at least not without debate. 

His one quality that could be of high value isn't executed very well at the moment. His pressing game is not up to scrath and we have the ball too much for his other main qualities to have enough time to be showcased. This is not me saying Kanté is a bad player, far from it. He's the best in the world at what he does. 

Our style isn't crying out for it tough. But one thing I will say, the balance may be thrown off if we would swap Kanté for Fabregas/Barkley/Kovacic more often than not. Sarri had Allen in his Napoli side and seen in that light Kanté is one hell of an upgrade. 

There are a number of highly interesting midfield combos for certain type of games that I'd like to see more often. Personally I'd like to see;

Fabregas - Jorginho - Barkley and Fabregas - Jorginho - Kovacic in games where we are expected to dominate and will need that extra bit of attacking quality. Cause we aren't getting much of that from our strikers right now! 

Against Bate on Thursday I'd like to see;

------------------------Arrizabalaga

Zappacosta-Cahill-Christensen-Emerson

---------Fabregas-Jorginho-Loftus-Cheek

----------------Pedro-Giroud-Hudson-Odoi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leo91   

Similar situation to Ramires. Great player in the right circumstances but doesn't fit the system. Kante might make more sense coming off the bench to sure things up. I agree with what is being said.

But at the same time no one can replace Kantes pressing and area coverage. He's second to none and it is a vital part of the teams tempo off the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   

Kante is the best shield to a defence in the world that 's where he should be playing in front of the defenders and behind midfield it's not as complicated as some people are making out - he is wasted otherwise, imagine playing Makelele pushed forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now