• Current Donation Goals

paulw66   
21 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

Do you think Cesc can play in the same team as Jorginho?? I have my doubts personally, I just think they are too similar in their styles and will end up stifling each other . It will also reduce our mobility massively by playing both of them in three. 

Absolutely they can.

Their styles may be similar but whilst Jorginho is orchestrating from deep, Cesc is the one who will pick a pass in the final 3rd. 

For the upcoming Cardiff game, I would play Cesc over Kante. We are going to have 80% + of the ball and Cardiff wont move out of their half. Kante's best attribute is winning the ball back, and he won't have to. The value of someone unlocking the door will outweigh the need for a Kante.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't advocate that switch in most games, but at home to the worst team in the division, I would have Cesc over Kante. It's not like Cardiff have the same counter attack threat as Bournemouth 

19 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Absolutely they can.

Their styles may be similar but whilst Jorginho is orchestrating from deep, Cesc is the one who will pick a pass in the final 3rd. 

For the upcoming Cardiff game, I would play Cesc over Kante. We are going to have 80% + of the ball and Cardiff wont move out of their half. Kante's best attribute is winning the ball back, and he won't have to. The value of someone unlocking the door will outweigh the need for a Kante.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't advocate that switch in most games, but at home to the worst team in the division, I would have Cesc over Kante. It's not like Cardiff have the same counter attack threat as Bournemouth 

The problem is if they do get a counter or two and score. See Huddesfield last season at home. If that happens and Kante is not on the pitch then everyone will accuse Sarri of smoking crack for dropping the best CM in the league for a player with no legs, especially as we are likely to win with Kante on the pitch anyway. The more pragmatic approach would be to introduce Cesc at 60-65 mins if we are drawing. 

Edited by Conte Kante

23 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Why do you keep using those three clubs instead of all the teams that do win the league and play good football?

Arsenal 3  (last winners 2003)

Blackburn Rovers 1 (last winners 1995)

Chelsea 5 (last winners 2017)

Leicester City 1(last winners 2016)

Manchester City 3 (last winners 2018)

Manchester United 13 (last winners 2013)

Here you go all the teams which have own the PL and according to your earlier post of all these winner only Chelsea under JM & Conte were boring teams.

Unfortunately the Arse and his invincible team which you suggested were the best, have been unable to perform that feat again in the last 14 attempts (if I remember correctly in that season the Arse team defensively were using the foundations left by George Graham)

Also if you look at the stats most of the teams which win the PL also have the most clean sheets

Anyway - lets pick up this discussion at the end of October by which time the team would have faced some sterner opposition

41 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Arsenal 3  (last winners 2003)

Blackburn Rovers 1 (last winners 1995)

Chelsea 5 (last winners 2017)

Leicester City 1(last winners 2016)

Manchester City 3 (last winners 2018)

Manchester United 13 (last winners 2013)

So how many of them played defensive football or are you proving my point for me that you can play good, attacking football and win the league?

Here you go all the teams which have own the PL and according to your earlier post of all these winner only Chelsea under JM & Conte were boring teams.

Your not listening.  Not once have I said we were boring under Jose, quite the opposite in fact.

Unfortunately the Arse and his invincible team which you suggested were the best, have been unable to perform that feat again in the last 14 attempts (if I remember correctly in that season the Arse team defensively were using the foundations left by George Graham)

But they did win the league by playing good, attacking football?

Have you thought that maybe they haven't won the league in a while because they don't have good enough players?

Also if you look at the stats most of the teams which win the PL also have the most clean sheets

Goes without saying. Not sure what that has to do with not being able to play good football and win the league though?

Still not sure why you keep bringing up Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham???

On 9/6/2018 at 11:10 AM, Martin1905 said:

Winning 13 games in a row was amazing and a fantastic achievement but that doesn't mean we played good football under Conte, we didn't.

From October 2016 to March 2017 we played amazing fooball under Conte imo. It was what happened from end of March 2017 to May 2018 that was diabolical. And diabolical it was. 

Conte fell a long way for me after that season. I don't hold him as a top manager in Europe. Maybe harsh, but he has way too many obvious weaknesses to be a top class manager. Maybe I'll look silly for saying this, but that's how I feel about him atm. 

On 9/7/2018 at 11:53 AM, paulw66 said:

Sorry, but no. 

Huddersfield had one chance, and Newcastle had one half chance. I don't see how we could easily have lost either game quite frankly. 

I accept the Arsenal game could have gone either way, the other 2 were very one sided. 

I'm quite surprised to read some of the stuff on here sometimes. We could easily have lost all our four games? I agree with you, just no. 

No.

Sea foot   

People will always say we could have lost any game if we win by one goal. Doesn't matter how the game panned out, some will never be happy unless we win every match by at least two goals. Personally I don't mind watching a defensive set up but it got out of hand Christmas onwards IMO. Loving our transformation so far, only four games in and it can only gel better as far as I can see. Yes. I am bullish at the moment. Top four should be in our grasp.

JaneB   
On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 1:30 PM, samhoward17 said:

I know some may have forgotten he existed but I can't wait for Cesc to return. Find a place for him in this side and you'll find the passing speeds up, the football goes from 3 touch to one touch and a greater cutting edge in the final third. Whilst the team is learning this new style I think he will be vital in the transitional stage. At 0-0 on Saturday I would have felt very confident had Cesc been warming up. RLC did have a good 15 minutes (against tired legs) but Fabregas would take our play to a new level especially against the bottom 14. 

Never!!  He still has a lot to offer surely.  Class, class, class.

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 7:41 AM, RobertoftheGiz said:

You are trying to compare apples with oranges, where all of the above play in a 1 or two team league and whatever system they use will a majority of the time result in winning the league, domestic cup and CL qualification year in year out

Umm - If my memory serves me an 87 minute stunning effort by Michael Bridge knocked the Arse out of the CL (the unbeaten invisibles were beaten?)

This is where your argument falls flat on its face as you are contradicting yourself. In the last 6 seasons we have won the PL twice compared to the other two who have done sweet FA, who's football philosophy is correct?. I am sure both the spud and bin dipper supporter would have taken the style of football played if it had resulted in their teams winning the PL? 

Umm - your memory doesn't serve you very well.  I think you meant Michael Bridges...….except you didn't because it was Wayne Bridge.

14 hours ago, JaneB said:

Never!!  He still has a lot to offer surely.  Class, class, class.

Umm - your memory doesn't serve you very well.  I think you meant Michael Bridges...….except you didn't because it was Wayne Bridge.

Opps - your right it was a bridge to far

• Haha 1

xCELERYx   
On 9/7/2018 at 7:53 PM, paulw66 said:

Sorry, but no. 

Huddersfield had one chance, and Newcastle had one half chance. I don't see how we could easily have lost either game quite frankly. 

I accept the Arsenal game could have gone either way, the other 2 were very one sided. 

Huddersfield hit the woodwork twice and it took a penalty and an 87th min own goal to beat Newcastle. Both games could have resulted in points being dropped had things gone a little differently. 

xCELERYx   
On 9/7/2018 at 9:09 PM, thevelourfog said:

Snipped for convenience ... I think most football, not just Chelsea fans, are hypocritical in what they say but not really what they think. They like to see their team win games and ultimately trophies, and whatever style of play you have becomes a problem when you don't.

I don't think we've been especially electric this season, but we're holding a higher line, we're actively seeking the ball for more of the game and higher up the pitch, and we're forcing and creating more chances. I think it's understandable that people are, at least for now, happier with that and the idea that we might struggle to defend  while trying to score than they were with having nine CBs and still struggling to defend.

I think that's a fair assessment for the most part. I'd say there is a certain point for some where aesthetics take precedent over substance, rightly or wrongly that's up the the taste of the individual. This probably is more prevalent in teams who aren't realistically going to compete, so playing entertaining football sort of becomes the next best thing to maintain interest. For top sides though success is the minimum requirement and will generally be the tight rope the manager walks along, becoming the difference between keeping their job or not. Trying to mesh success and attractive football though is a tough ask and why so few sides have been able to really do this, let alone manage to sustain it.