• Current Donation Goals

11 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

I hope we see Christensen and given that we'll have the majority of possession again, could we bench Kanté? It would be a big call but Jorginho+Kovacic+Barkley/RLC would give us more in attack. Kanté to come on when Bournemouth decide to open up and play.

Not trying to be funny, but I predict that more people will start to bring up that exact idea. It all will depend on how quickly Kanté can adjust to his new position and what will be expected and required off him. 

He's not a bad ball-player and he does have attacking qualities. Personally I think he will get there and will, when he nails the new role, be the difference between a leaing defence and a defence that averages somewhere around 0,8 goals/game. He's supposed to be the player who offers balance to the side. It's a difficult role to nail so soon after a massive shift in playing style. 

He's a brilliant player - he'll get there. 

That being said, I think there is less of a demand for him to play all our games this season. We have options. 

Kezza   
On 8/28/2018 at 9:57 PM, Leo91 said:

That feeling you get when you can't wait to watch the team play. Priceless.

I know. Never had as much excitement and expectation with previous management. I'm happy to have the feeling of looking forward to matches for once. City and Liverpool fans have, United during Fergie had their chance, now it's our time finally. 

paulw66   
1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

That being said, I think there is less of a demand for him to play all our games this season. We have options. 

Yup, for the first time since he arrived, there are viable alternatives. Against ultra defensive teams, when we are dominating possession, his key strength is somewhat reduced. A CM with a goal threat might prove more useful, and save Kante for the tougher matches. 

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Kezza said:

I know. Never had as much excitement and expectation with previous management. I'm happy to have the feeling of looking forward to matches for once. City and Liverpool fans have, United during Fergie had their chance, now it's our time finally. 

I have to say, in the middle of our 13 game winning streak under Conte, there was much to look forward to. 

Kezza   
Just now, paulw66 said:

Yup, for the first time since he arrived, there are viable alternatives. Against ultra defensive teams, when we are dominating possession, his key strength is somewhat reduced. A CM with a goal threat might prove more useful, and save Kante for the tougher matches. 

I agree but also disagree if there's such a thing. :)

Kante keeps the ball and shields it so well. He also rarely gets himself in trouble or lose the ball. This is vital to us dominating possession. I don't see Barkley or RLC having the quality to consistently pick the right pass and hog possession.

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Kezza said:

I agree but also disagree if there's such a thing. :)

Kante keeps the ball and shields it so well. He also rarely gets himself in trouble or lose the ball. This is vital to us dominating possession. I don't see Barkley or RLC having the quality to consistently pick the right pass and hog possession.

I guess we don't need to worry about rotating until the cups kick off anyway

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I guess we don't need to worry about rotating until the cups kick off anyway

But we actually have the squad to rotate this season, what a feeling!

It is going to be interesting to see the team selections once the cups kick off. I expect a completely different 11 for the league cup and Europa league could be very interesting to see how we approach it, my guess would be for any long distance away games we'll see the key men rested.

paulw66   
7 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

But we actually have the squad to rotate this season, what a feeling!

It is going to be interesting to see the team selections once the cups kick off. I expect a completely different 11 for the league cup and Europa league could be very interesting to see how we approach it, my guess would be for any long distance away games we'll see the key men rested.

I really hope we do. Failing that, my minimum requirements would be that Azpi, Alonso, Kante, Jorginho, Hazard should be nowhere near these competitions in the early stages. 

5 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Initially I disagreed with this and was writing a reply about how and why he should play every game if fit and available. 

Then I thought about it and decided you may be right. Against teams that we are going to dominate a midfield three of Jorginho Kovacic and Fabregas may be the way forward. 

I'm sure we all agree how good Kante is and he will undoubtedly be a key player this season but if teams line up against us like Newcastle did they completely nullify one of our best players.

As good as Jorginho is, and I've sung his praises since before he put on a blue shirt, he's not going to do what Fabregas does further up the pitch but having the two of them together with Cesc in a more advanced role when we have 81% possession makes sense, especially when we look at how many clear cut chances we had with the three midfielders playing on Sunday.

Most people,  including myself think Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic will be our first choice three in midfield but there is no denying Fabregas will be brilliant playing this style of football and I can't help thinking one way or another we need to get him in the side once he's fit.