• Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  
paulw66

Europa League

paulw66   
18 minutes ago, jangz said:

For me that is reserved for the CB we signed deadline day with Jose .. and sold to Sunderland later

Bought for 2.7m and sold for 8m and I don't think was ever intended to play for us. No biggie. We actually made money on him

We paid £35m for Drinkwater, who now isn't even involved in the first team squads, and must be on pretty decent money. 

Personally , I feel sorry for Drinkwater , he's not done anything wrong and has barely had any opportunities whatsoever.

paulw66   
24 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Personally , I feel sorry for Drinkwater , he's not done anything wrong and has barely had any opportunities whatsoever.

Not criticising the player, just the decision to buy him. Was never going to be good enough. 

He is what he is, an average, hard working PL footballer wh shouldn't be playing for a top 6 team. 

jangz   
58 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Bought for 2.7m and sold for 8m and I don't think was ever intended to play for us. No biggie. We actually made money on him

We paid £35m for Drinkwater, who now isn't even involved in the first team squads, and must be on pretty decent money. 

It reminded me of DD because the entire summer we chased Stones.. and were in for a CB only to buy him.. similarly we were linked with Vidal and Naingolan only to end up with Danny..

8 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yeah I feel a bit sorry for him too, when he has actually played he has been  solid 6 out of 10, which whilst not great, is ok if you are looking for a bigish squad and need to fill your HG quota. The problem with DD however is twofold, the first is that he has been injured a lot which meant when he would have had a chance last season to break into the side, he was unfit. The second is that Sarriball is not the best style for him. 

That said, a decent CM in a PL with a number of teams in desperate need to strenghten that area means we will probably get most of our money back, so long as we did not go crazy on wages for him 🤔. 

4 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Steve Sidwell all over again, except Sidwell was free.

Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Zappacosta and Morata. Our worst summer transfer window ever? Rüdiger has worked out well, but I'd be surprised if any of the other four are with the first team next season.

On 28/08/2018 at 10:41 AM, paulw66 said:

It hasn't made much of a splash in the popular media, but worth noting Chelsea are charging £20 for adults, and just £5 for concessions to this year's Europe League games.

Lesson learned from the Lyon game, maybe? Didn't go but heard it was a pretty poor attendance and the £30 tickets were to blame.

Struggle to make cup games much these days, but did always enjoy the cheap LC games where you could see excited, wide-eyed kids everywhere. Anything that lets us bring through new fans is a good idea.

2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Zappacosta and Morata. Our worst summer transfer window ever? Rüdiger has worked out well, but I'd be surprised if any of the other four are with the first team next season.

Unquestionably our worst ever transfer window when you consider how much those players cost and the fact we lost Costa.

paulw66   
12 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

Yeah I feel a bit sorry for him too, when he has actually played he has been  solid 6 out of 10, which whilst not great, is ok if you are looking for a bigish squad and need to fill your HG quota. The problem with DD however is twofold, the first is that he has been injured a lot which meant when he would have had a chance last season to break into the side, he was unfit. The second is that Sarriball is not the best style for him. 

That said, a decent CM in a PL with a number of teams in desperate need to strenghten that area means we will probably get most of our money back, so long as we did not go crazy on wages for him 🤔. 

He doesn't have a role in this system. The deepest midfielder is a play maker, and the two further forward need to be able to attack. No and no. I'd be amazed if we got more than £15m as all buying clubs will know we are desperate to get rid. When the window reopens on 1 January, unless he plays in the LC at Anfield, he would have gone about 9 months since starting a competitive match. If I was doing the buying, I would be low balling the bid, big time. 

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Lesson learned from the Lyon game, maybe? Didn't go but heard it was a pretty poor attendance and the £30 tickets were to blame.

Struggle to make cup games much these days, but did always enjoy the cheap LC games where you could see excited, wide-eyed kids everywhere. Anything that lets us bring through new fans is a good idea.

£30 for a pre season friendly was just idiotic. Looking forward to the EL and seeing players like CHO and Ampadu (hopefully)

3 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

DD didn't make any sense. Baka was a CL semi finalist, but didn't work out. Zappa is a funny one because he was just never given a run. Morata......I still hold hope.