• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 4 Cardiff City 1

First half was great despite the goal conceded. We created many chances, Kovacic should have had at least one and I would have trusted Pedro to burry his chance. Flipping the score just before the half was brilliant but we really did not come out in the second until Willian came on. 

I think we saw just how important Kovacic is to the side as while Barkley is certainly working hard, he is not doing much. The Everton Barkley had flashes of brilliance but would have frustrating moments where he would give the ball away. The Chelsea Barkley runs a lot and passes sideways. I can really only remember him having one shot this season. He needs to improve quickly as I suspect he will find his minutes restricted once Cesc is fit. 

Still a work in progress though a big positive is the amount of goals we are scoring late on. Even when we are not creating much we are tiring the opposition and the games will open up for us the later they go. 

My biggest worry at the moment, I hate to say is Kepa. He's not had much to do yet and I'm sure he's a good shot stopper but we really look under threat from set-pieces. He does not look comfortable at all with crosses coming in and our defenders are used to having Courtois who is 13cm taller and a lot stronger. De Gea had big issues in his first season coming from la liga but he is a few inches bigger than Kepa as well. We have to hope he can develop as we have committed to him long term now. For a very long time we have always had a giant in goal so maybe it will just take some getting used to. His kicking was much improved yesterday. 

West Ham have been playing with either Wilshere, Noble or both in their midfield so I am pretty confident we will cut through them. Their defence is shocking. I am concerned about this Liverpool game though. After seeing them yesterday they look like the real deal. Electric going forward and solid at the back, they have also given City big issues with their style of football. They are in Klopps 4th season so we shouldn't really be surprised. I would snap your hand off for a draw right now.  

Edited by samhoward17

14 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

First half was great despite the goal conceded. We created many chances, Kovacic should have had at least one and I would have trusted Pedro to burry his chance. Flipping the score just before the half was brilliant but we really did not come out in the second until Willian came on. 

I think we saw just how important Kovacic is to the side as while Barkley is certainly working hard, he is not doing much. The Everton Barkley had flashes of brilliance but would have frustrating moments where he would give the ball away. The Chelsea Barkley runs a lot and passes sideways. I can really only remember him having one shot this season. He needs to improve quickly as I suspect he will find his minutes restricted once Cesc is fit. 

Still a work in progress though a big positive is the amount of goals we are scoring late on. Even when we are not creating much we are tiring the opposition and the games will open up for us the later they go. 

My biggest worry at the moment, I hate to say is Kepa. He's not had much to do yet and I'm sure he's a good shot stopper but we really look under threat from set-pieces. He does not look comfortable at all with crosses coming in and our defenders are used to having Courtois who is 13cm taller and a lot stronger. De Gea had big issues in his first season coming from la liga but he is a few inches bigger than Kepa as well. We have to hope he can develop as we have committed to him long term now. For a very long time we have always had a giant in goal so maybe it will just take some getting used to. His kicking was much improved yesterday. 

West Ham have been playing with either Wilshere, Noble or both in their midfield so I am pretty confident we will cut through them. Their defence is shocking. I am concerned about this Liverpool game though. After seeing them yesterday they look like the real deal. Electric going forward and solid at the back, they have also given City big issues with their style of football. They are in Klopps 4th season so we shouldn't really be surprised. I would snap your hand off for a draw right now.  

Yes, me too Sam. I just can't see the justification for 70 million at all and he doesn't inspire any confidence for me. On top of that, Wham played well at Everton today, so even though we've started really well I'm concerned about the match.

kev61   
8 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I respect your opinion Pete, and everyone else's that thinks this, but for me we just didn't. We were very good at what we did but it was not good, attacking, free flowing football. We very rarely played with more than three attacking players on the pitch at the same time. 

I saw very little difference in the style of football being played throughout most of Conte's time here. We just did it a lot better in the first season. Conte's Juventus played the same, as did Italy when he was in charge. It's a style I just don't like watching.

It's also a style that is completely reliant on two or three players having to play out of their skin all the time to have any chance of it working. Lose one, like Costa, and you've got no chance of it working.

Oh come on now! we are playing to our strengths.attack is our forte and Sarri is using the attacking players to snuff out the opposition's plans to put us on the back foot.

Midfield is the difference from previous campaigns - Jorginho and Kovocic are the difference,and Giroud as a target man to bring our attacking players into play.

Keep playing the way we are playing and only the top teams in the league can live with us.The good thing is Sarri has identified a weakness  in the team.. defence which most will agree with - the signs are all good and top four is assured imo.

15 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Oh come on now! we are playing to our strengths.attack is our forte and Sarri is using the attacking players to snuff out the opposition's plans to put us on the back foot.

Midfield is the difference from previous campaigns - Jorginho and Kovocic are the difference,and Giroud as a target man to bring our attacking players into play.

Keep playing the way we are playing and only the top teams in the league can live with us.The good thing is Sarri has identified a weakness  in the team.. defence which most will agree with - the signs are all good and top four is assured imo.

And not for the first time I agree with you there Kev.

Kezza   
On 9/16/2018 at 5:55 AM, Mark Kelly said:

We played badly for one year under Conte the first year we were excellent. 

People tend to forget we set the record of most successive wins in a row under Conte. He did well. If anything, the reference should be Jose's time when even when we won the league we weren't exactly flying.

10 hours ago, kev61 said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say to me kev in regards to my post that you quoted?

paulw66   
19 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I saw very little difference in the style of football being played throughout most of Conte's time here.

There was a significant shift from 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 in the second season. May sound like a small change but it invariably meant that we were replacing Willian / Pedro with a defensive midfielder. It was painful to watch, especially against sides who should have been massively inferior. 

7 hours ago, Kezza said:

People tend to forget we set the record of most successive wins in a row under Conte. He did well. If anything, the reference should be Jose's time when even when we won the league we weren't exactly flying.

Personally I think the football we played under Jose the three times we won the league was far better to watch than two years ago.

The back to back side produced some of the most devastating football I have ever seen. The football we played for much of the season second time round was incredible. Admittedly we slowed down towards the end of the season but that was because it was more important not to lose than to win due  to the lead we had over the other teams.

Edited by Martin1905

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

There was a significant shift from 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 in the second season. May sound like a small change but it invariably meant that we were replacing Willian / Pedro with a defensive midfielder. It was painful to watch, especially against sides who should have been massively inferior. 

Starting with 8 defensive players at home to giants like Bournemouth and Brighton says it all. 

paulw66   
15 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yes, me too Sam. I just can't see the justification for 70 million at all and he doesn't inspire any confidence for me. On top of that, Wham played well at Everton today, so even though we've started really well I'm concerned about the match.

Has played 5 games......... Wasn't at fault for the Cardiff goal and made a very good save in the second half. Not sure what else he could have done. They had 2 shots all game. 

Give the bloke a break.......... In the World Cup, the Spanish media were calling on the coach to replace De Gea with Kepa. That is how highly those, who have watched him for more than 5 minutes, regard him as a goalkeeper.