• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 4 Cardiff City 1

5 wins out of 5! Wasn’t expecting this at all, very pleased with how it’s going. Obviously it’s far from perfect but we’re doing very well for where we are. Sometimes I wish we’d be more direct with our play but we just seem to grind teams down with this style, I like it.

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

5 games, 5 wins, 14 goals scored and some very good football being played. Hazard has 5 goals and 2 assists in a little over 300 minutes of football.

Just imagine how good we will be in a year or two with a couple more additions to the squad. To get us playing like this after 5 games, after spending 2 years playing like we did under Conte is remarkable.

We played badly for one year under Conte the first year we were excellent. 

We are playing some very enjoyable football at times these past few matches and you would really have to think that this team is only going to get better and better at this. 

Certainly we have had some really outstanding performance levels from most of the team - Rudiger, Alonso, Kovacic, Hazard, Pedro. Long may this continue. Kante and Azpili have been solid as ever and Jorginho is beginning to show his quality as well.

I can definitely see, too, what Sarri means by we have got to be better in the defensive phase though and I think maybe that may be our Achilles heal against the big sides as we conceded some really close chances today as well. 

5 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

We played badly for one year under Conte the first year we were excellent. 

We were excellent at what we did. Doesn't mean we played good football.

Good result, good performance once we woke up after 20 mins or so. Giroud makes such a difference, his link up play is so SO good, Hazard said after the game that he thinks he's the best target man in the world right now and I'd struggle to disagree. Hazard has such a good understanding with Giroud and clearly loves playing with him and for me, Giroud has to be the main man for the moment as Morata watches on from the bench. It's going to be interesting to see what we do come January because if Giroud continues to play and links up like this with Hazard, then do we really want to replace him mid season? Probably not, but you definitely feel like we need a striker in sooner rather than later that can get us the goals we need from that position... unless Hazard becomes that man.

Shame Kovacic went off injured, he was having a really good game and is fitting in to this system really well - if we continue this form all season and get top 4, I can see him making sure the move becomes permanent. Thought Barkley did well when he replaced him though, I think he's showing himself to be our best option for CM4/5 depending on the need (Fabregas being the other option) and means RLC is going to have to work seriously hard if he wants to break in to this team, let alone the bench when all players are fit.

Pedro v Willian is a great problem to have right now and as it stands I'm happy with whoever plays and long may that continue.

Still not massively convincing at the back, but I did sense some improvement and feels like they're slowly getting used to a back 4 again.

All in all it was the result I expected and puts us top which is always nice... I imagine (and hope) the press continue to talk up Liverpool and not Chelsea though, more than happy for us to drift under the radar as the Liverpool love in grows and grows.

Also... how good is Hazard?! This guy is on top of his game right now and is genuinely ahead of all others in this league on this form. If he can keep up this form then I really think this could be his breakout year - which I know is an odd thing to say for someone like him, but what I mean is this could be the season he gets himself 20+ goals and steps up to be truly world class as we know he can be. Let's just hope Madrid aren't paying attention.

Kezza   

So good watching the team now compared to 5 years ago. Team can consistently string more than 2 passes and keep possession when under pressure. No longer absorbing and absorbing pressure aka parking the bus. A joy to watch. You only have to watch Utd now to see what we used to do. A chore to watch.

8 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

We were excellent at what we did. Doesn't mean we played good football.

I thought we did.

Bloody Hazard... was the captain (double points) in my Fantasy Football team, but I thought Cardiff would have 3 chain-saw wielding players surrounding him all game, so I switched the captaincy to Pedro. 😞  Other than that another good 3 points.

23 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

I thought we did.

I respect your opinion Pete, and everyone else's that thinks this, but for me we just didn't. We were very good at what we did but it was not good, attacking, free flowing football. We very rarely played with more than three attacking players on the pitch at the same time. 

I saw very little difference in the style of football being played throughout most of Conte's time here. We just did it a lot better in the first season. Conte's Juventus played the same, as did Italy when he was in charge. It's a style I just don't like watching.

It's also a style that is completely reliant on two or three players having to play out of their skin all the time to have any chance of it working. Lose one, like Costa, and you've got no chance of it working.