• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

PAOK Salonika 0 Chelsea 1

chelboy   

If Arnautovic was available I would go for him for the right price. Very underrated player. Great with both feet, strong, quick, technically good ,decent link up play too. He would suit both Hazard and Pedro. His attitude would probably be the main risk and sometimes inconsistent .

We are by far a more positive team in terms of the approach but I’m afraid the boys are reverting a bit to type in terms of taking 2, 3 or 4 touches on the ball regularly instead of 1 touch and also the movement off the ball to receive it isn’t quite there yet. 

Barkley, Willian, Fabregas and Christensen are likely to be the 4 players to have any shot at breaking into this team over the course of this season and I feel sorry for the likes of Hudson Odoi, Loftus-Cheek, Drinkwater, Ampadu, Emerson and Cahill because they look like they have absolutely no chance whatsoever IMO of being regulars.

Sarri has made his views on squad rotation pretty clear in his press conferences thus far.

Vinod   

It high time the club stopped punting on first choice strikers. Get someone with a consisent goal scoring record. Better to pay silly money for an older player with pedigree than pay less silly money for a young player you hope will come good. 

In summer of 2012 we bought Oscar, Willian and Hazard. One faded out, one has become a decent player and the third has been our best player in every other season. The trouble with strikers is that you need them to be one of the top 3 players in your squad. If they are not, they are useless. I'd rather we spend 200 million on Mbappe or 80 million on Icardi than 90 million on someone like Belotti (who has had only one great season).

Morata is a gamble. It might well pay off. As it stands Giroud adds more value from a strictly footballing standpoint. Maybe Morata is a better striker ( I doubt) but with Giroud the 'whole' looks far better.

It would be wise to recognise that Morata is not a young tyro like Tammy. We have afforded him a lot more patience than he deserves. This will either be his last season as a Blue or the first of a few great ones. 

10 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

...and I'm going to add lazy to a list of his faults. He thinks the lino won't notice if he drifts a yard or two off side (bit less for him to run).

My current theory is that this has been triple-coached into him.
That is I think he had probably been told to do it by his pre-Chelsea coaches.
Then at a time where he should be getting it right he came to Conte who promptly suggested he wander into offside positions as a deliberate strategy.
And rather than ever getting this fine tuned I suspect Sarri thinks he is trying out a new ploy by urging his Chelsea CF to lurk offside.  "Don't worry about the occasional offside..."
And to be fair, the gain from the strategy mostly falls to the likes of Hazard and Willian/Pedro, who are in onside positions ready to run through the high back line.

6 hours ago, Vinod said:

It would be wise to recognise that Morata is not a young tyro like Tammy.

This is just a superb striker's goal:
https://streamable.com/89xxy

So in this game I liked the fact that we barely were under threat.  Indeed their only strategy seemed to be to try and get Rudiger sent off.  Quite why they picked Rudiger I don't know.  Quite a few teams have done the same.  He does react quickly, but he does keep the right side of the line.  Perhaps it is those swinging hands they are targeting with their heads.  Fortunately refs are seeing this better this season (obviously don't fancy our chances this season - 17 pens awarded this season in PL so far - we have received 3 of them).

Plenty of chances and quite a few golden moments.  I liked a great diagonal ball by Alonso for a good Pedro chance, a great back heel by Azpi which both won the ball and sent some one sprinting down the wing, Barkley's assist, one great long ball from Rudiger and a superb one from Fabregas to Pedro.
I even liked Morata's sprint backwards to receive a "vertical" pass from Rudiger and start off the goal.

Against this team Fabregas should have started instead of Jorginho who may make most of the passes in the build up for goals, but rarely will make the killer assist.  Perhaps Fabregas and Kante swapping positions.

Barkley was ok.  Still very much the hard worker rather than the "talent" he was supposed to be at Everton.  But that puts him ahead of RLC IMO if still behind Kovacic.  

All in all I prefer this game to any of our PL wins.  True they were weaker than any PL team.  But at least it was the first time I didn't end up just feeling terrified about how we'll do against any team that presses us strongly (like City in the CS.)

JaneB   
11 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Why?

conte wanted lukaku and the club missed out. So activated plan B morata. 

At the time there was not much else out there 

Who was out there this summer under the age of 26 who you called an upgrade on morata. 

What do you mean Why?

It's still a shame for him that he's not doing the business and a great shame for us supporters for the same reason.

11 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Obviously not in the eye of the hierarchy and the “yes man”. Hence he gone on loan

Interesting to know why you would have such a massive downer on Sarri at this point? Seems a little bit like you are desperate for him to fail? To attack him for trying to work with the board is an odd stance to take; we’ve had enough examples of managers at loggerheads  with them and it clearly doesn’t benefit the team or the club. Better to create change from within, rather than be on the outside looking in and affecting absolutely nothing?

12 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Obviously not in the eye of the hierarchy and the “yes man”. Hence he gone on loan

Or Conte or 99% of fans.  

BlueWill   
13 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

He certainly didn't hide from the linesman by standing in line with defenders, always in a good position to make it an easy call.

In line with the defenders? What's wrong with that? Level with the defender(s) is the best place to be. Or maybe the rule changed and I haven't noticed.

BlueWill   
11 hours ago, kev61 said:

It was one of those games were we could have trounced them.only concerns is our goalkeeper is dodgy,when Jorghino went off we were all at sea,Fabregas offers nothing unless we are 5-0 up and Morata should be sold as soon as possible .

Certainly agree with that. Every time I watch Jorghino I see a massive upgrade on Cesc.