• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

PAOK Salonika 0 Chelsea 1

26 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Against this team Fabregas should have started instead of Jorginho who may make most of the passes in the build up for goals, but rarely will make the killer assist.  Perhaps Fabregas and Kante swapping positions.

I think against teams like this they should both start. 

Jorginho may lake the killer assist but Fabregas won't orchestrate the team the way he does.

Jorginho is the key player in playing the way Sarri wants us to. We are lacking someone to play the final ball and Fabregas is one of the very best at that, I just don't want to see him play at the expense of Jorginho. 

21 minutes ago, BlueWill said:

In line with the defenders? What's wrong with that? Level with the defender(s) is the best place to be. Or maybe the rule changed and I haven't noticed.

Quite - he didn't stand in line with them, he stood 2m ahead of them, giving the lino a great clear view of how off side he was most of the game

9 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I think against teams like this they should both start. 

Jorginho may lake the killer assist but Fabregas won't orchestrate the team the way he does.

Jorginho is the key player in playing the way Sarri wants us to. We are lacking someone to play the final ball and Fabregas is one of the very best at that, I just don't want to see him play at the expense of Jorginho. 

I'm nor really sure Jorginho orchestrates much at all.  He moves the ball about a lot so pretty soon someone else gets to have time on the ball.  His quick action is buying time and opportunities for someone else to use.  And this is all very good.  But I wouldn't call it orchestration.  

The $64m question is how a Jorginho pinball game will stand up to a top pressing team like City, Liverpool or Spurs.  It looked dodgy at times against Arsenal.
I guess we will see.

On Fabregas you may be right, he would be best in Kovacic's place.  Jorginho and Kante creating time and space for Fabregas would be perfect.

8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm nor really sure Jorginho orchestrates much at all.  He moves the ball about a lot so pretty soon someone else gets to have time on the ball.  His quick action is buying time and opportunities for someone else to use.  And this is all very good.  But I wouldn't call it orchestration.  

Disagree completely.  He orchestrates everything, not just with his passing but his movement, they way he demands the ball or sometimes not, the way he tells everyone where to move, when to slow it down,  when to speed it up, where he wants them to go, when to press, when  it to press. 

We lost all our shape, pressing, quick passing and tempo pretty much the second he went off last night 

The $64m question is how a Jorginho pinball game will stand up to a top pressing team like City, Liverpool or Spurs.  It looked dodgy at times against Arsenal.
I guess we will see.

Agree with this though.

On Fabregas you may be right, he would be best in Kovacic's place.  Jorginho and Kante creating time and space for Fabregas would be perfect.

And this.

Holymoly   
5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I have to say I tend to agree with Droy. I don't really understand the depth of Jorginho love on these forums. Yes it's nice to have a midfieldfer who doesn't dwell on the ball but he really doesn't provide the incisive through ball the way the Fabregas can and I'm not even that much of a fan of the latter either. I would argue that David Luiz is the best "incisive passer" on the squad although as it tends to be from defense rather than midfield that is highly situational. What you do see now in midfield is one touch passing which can open up the opposition as long as the ball finds its way to Hazard. Whether that is down to Jorginho or Sarri you can argue about all day.

kev61   
13 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

So in this game I liked the fact that we barely were under threat.  Indeed their only strategy seemed to be to try and get Rudiger sent off.  Quite why they picked Rudiger I don't know.  Quite a few teams have done the same.  He does react quickly, but he does keep the right side of the line.  Perhaps it is those swinging hands they are targeting with their heads.  Fortunately refs are seeing this better this season (obviously don't fancy our chances this season - 17 pens awarded this season in PL so far - we have received 3 of them).

Plenty of chances and quite a few golden moments.  I liked a great diagonal ball by Alonso for a good Pedro chance, a great back heel by Azpi which both won the ball and sent some one sprinting down the wing, Barkley's assist, one great long ball from Rudiger and a superb one from Fabregas to Pedro.
I even liked Morata's sprint backwards to receive a "vertical" pass from Rudiger and start off the goal.

Against this team Fabregas should have started instead of Jorginho who may make most of the passes in the build up for goals, but rarely will make the killer assist.  Perhaps Fabregas and Kante swapping positions.

Barkley was ok.  Still very much the hard worker rather than the "talent" he was supposed to be at Everton.  But that puts him ahead of RLC IMO if still behind Kovacic.  

All in all I prefer this game to any of our PL wins.  True they were weaker than any PL team.  But at least it was the first time I didn't end up just feeling terrified about how we'll do against any team that presses us strongly (like City in the CS.)

"Fabregas should have started"? - why do you think we looked worse when he came on?...because he is slow in thought and physicality probably because of age.

11 minutes ago, kev61 said:

"Fabregas should have started"? - why do you think we looked worse when he came on?...because he is slow in thought and physicality probably because of age.

Rubbish.  Did you not see the moment below.  Breaking forward ahead of Kante, drawing the defenders and pointing vigourously that Kante had to pass to Pedro who was free in a great position on the right?  (2 secs before Kante's poor touch lead to him being clobbered by the keeper)
Fast & quick thinking.

image.thumb.png.079d65b2f14c779b5409d4ce6bf0e41c.png

xCELERYx   
On 21/09/2018 at 0:46 PM, Vinod said:

It high time the club stopped punting on first choice strikers. Get someone with a consisent goal scoring record. Better to pay silly money for an older player with pedigree than pay less silly money for a young player you hope will come good. 

In summer of 2012 we bought Oscar, Willian and Hazard. One faded out, one has become a decent player and the third has been our best player in every other season. The trouble with strikers is that you need them to be one of the top 3 players in your squad. If they are not, they are useless. I'd rather we spend 200 million on Mbappe or 80 million on Icardi than 90 million on someone like Belotti (who has had only one great season).

Morata is a gamble. It might well pay off. As it stands Giroud adds more value from a strictly footballing standpoint. Maybe Morata is a better striker ( I doubt) but with Giroud the 'whole' looks far better.

It would be wise to recognise that Morata is not a young tyro like Tammy. We have afforded him a lot more patience than he deserves. This will either be his last season as a Blue or the first of a few great ones. 

Morata was never a gamble though, he's just flat out bang average at best and a completely ill advised signing in every sense. It's been plain as day for years, yet he some how still manages to coast by on hype he generated 4 or so years ago and has people fooled that he'll "come good". 

A gamble would have been signing Morata for £30m as second choice. Signing him for £60m to lead our attack had failure on it from the very beginning. 

Realistically he should have been sold off in the summer. This will likely now be done at the end of this season and for a significant loss. 

Having Fabregas back is great news and whilst he nay not be zipping around the pitch, his passing was very sharp. I too would love to see him alongside Jorginho as Cesc has proven time and time again that if he receives ball in space he is lethal. Bringing him into the side will speed up everything and give a cutting edge to our play that our possession has been lacking in parts this season.

RLC down to 6th choice CM and it's justified. A few weeks ago he came on instead of Barkley and received a nice bit of praise from Sarri but then typically he picked up a knock now he's back to square one. If it wasn't already obvious a few weeks back he is gone in January. Whether this is on loan or permanent will only depend on if anyone can afford him. 

Pedro injury looked bad initially but the noise coming out seems to be that he is okay. It's great to have a big squad and playing a strong side to win the group early is the right call but this moment really highlighted how reliant we are on the 3 AM's. If Pedro is injured for any amount of time suddenly Moses will be seeing minutes in an attacking position. It would be crazy not to start Hudson-Odoi in the league cup now we have indicated our desire to compete on multiple fronts. 

Kepa worrying again. Looked very nervous with anything coming in the air. It's yet to cost us much but teams will start targeting him very quickly. Liverpool against both Spurs and PSG have been trying out set plays blocking the keeper and whipping it in under the bar with pace. How he adapts when this starts to happen will have a huge impact on our season. 

33 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

If Pedro is injured for any amount of time suddenly Moses will be seeing minutes in an attacking position. It would be crazy not to start Hudson-Odoi in the league cup now we have indicated our desire to compete on multiple fronts. 

The longer Sarri is at the club, the less likely Moses is going to be seen at all.  Unless we are trying to close a game, I'd rather have CHO on purely on merit.
And I'd put Zappacosta on ahead of Moses in any position and at any time.

The failure to make summer decisions over Drinkwater, Moses, Cahill, and only a very late one on Tammy Abraham, all points to Chelsea not actually being in close contact with Sarri right up till the announcement (though obviously in close touch with his agent).
That and no interim replacement for Emenalo.

The longer Sarri is at the club, the less likely Moses is going to be seen at all.  Unless we are trying to close a game, I'd rather have CHO on purely on merit.
And I'd put Zappacosta on ahead of Moses in any position and at any time.

The failure to make summer decisions over Drinkwater, Moses, Cahill, and only a very late one on Tammy Abraham, all points to Chelsea not actually being in close contact with Sarri right up till the announcement (though obviously in close touch with his agent).
That and no interim replacement for Emenalo.

I can understand Moses and Cahill as they do fill positions for a full squad I.e. CB4 and AM4. However, Drinkwater should have been sold and Abraham should have been loaned to a PL side. Those transfers should have been clear.