• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

PAOK Salonika 0 Chelsea 1

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

The longer Sarri is at the club, the less likely Moses is going to be seen at all.  Unless we are trying to close a game, I'd rather have CHO on purely on merit.
And I'd put Zappacosta on ahead of Moses in any position and at any time.

The failure to make summer decisions over Drinkwater, Moses, Cahill, and only a very late one on Tammy Abraham, all points to Chelsea not actually being in close contact with Sarri right up till the announcement (though obviously in close touch with his agent).
That and no interim replacement for Emenalo.

Good point I had forgotten Zappa came on the other day at RW. Strange that Emerson did not even travel given he tweeted he had no injury. Don't think he's even been on the bench this season, clearly not impressing at all in training. At the start of the season many were tipping him to take Alonsos spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

Good point I had forgotten Zappa came on the other day at RW. Strange that Emerson did not even travel given he tweeted he had no injury. Don't think he's even been on the bench this season, clearly not impressing at all in training. At the start of the season many were tipping him to take Alonsos spot. 

That is because they somehow came to the conclusion Alonso could not play LB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

That is because they somehow came to the conclusion Alonso could not play LB. 

This is one of the great myths of opinion on this site .

I don't think anybody has ever said on this forum that Alonso could not play LB .

What they said was he wasn't very quick (which is true) and that because of this , his game was more suited to the LWB role where the spare centre half could come across and cover for him . 

This forum is full of people criticising David Luis who funny enough is the centre half most exposed when Alonso hasn't got back quickly enough .

Coincidence ? I don't think so .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueWill   
On 21/09/2018 at 1:22 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Quite - he didn't stand in line with them, he stood 2m ahead of them, giving the lino a great clear view of how off side he was most of the game

I'm nor really sure Jorginho orchestrates much at all.  He moves the ball about a lot so pretty soon someone else gets to have time on the ball.  His quick action is buying time and opportunities for someone else to use.  And this is all very good.  But I wouldn't call it orchestration.  

The $64m question is how a Jorginho pinball game will stand up to a top pressing team like City, Liverpool or Spurs.  It looked dodgy at times against Arsenal.
I guess we will see.

On Fabregas you may be right, he would be best in Kovacic's place.  Jorginho and Kante creating time and space for Fabregas would be perfect.

You did actually say he was in line, which I don't see as grounds for criticism, though there are plenty of other things to criticise.

 Martin is correct, Cesc is vastly inferior to Jorginho. It is inescapable every time you see either play. He is a more complete player who does not suffer the severe limitations of Cesc's mobility and defensive capabilities. He definitely bosses people around.

Most games last season Cesc contributed SFA. Indeed, Dave got 50% more assists whilst equalling his goal tally and that is just not good enough. Like or not, Cesc is a player in decline, he takes £9 mill as a bit player, a role better suited to the younger players representing our future.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2018 at 11:26 PM, Droy was my hero said:

He certainly didn't hide from the linesman by standing in line with defenders, always in a good position to make it an easy call.

8 minutes ago, BlueWill said:

You did actually say he was in line, which I don't see as grounds for criticism, though there are plenty of other things to criticise.

Certainly not what I said.  

8 minutes ago, BlueWill said:

Martin is correct, Cesc is vastly inferior to Jorginho.

I don't think that was what Martin was saying either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueWill   
6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Certainly not what I said.  

I don't think that was what Martin was saying either

You wrote "He certainly didn't hide from the linesman by standing in line with defenders, always in a good position to make it an easy call."

I wrote "You did actually say he was in line, which I don't see as grounds for criticism, though there are plenty of other things to criticise."

So one of us needs reading lessons.

Martin was not as cutting in his choice of words certainly, but he clearly believes the contribution of Cesc to be significantly less.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

This is one of the great myths of opinion on this site .

I don't think anybody has ever said on this forum that Alonso could not play LB .

What they said was he wasn't very quick (which is true) and that because of this , his game was more suited to the LWB role where the spare centre half could come across and cover for him

This forum is full of people criticising David Luis who funny enough is the centre half most exposed when Alonso hasn't got back quickly enough .

Coincidence ? I don't think so .

 

Doesn't the bolded bit not pretty much mean the same thing as what I originally said? I.e. people said he would not be able to play LB properly? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2018 at 11:13 AM, Droy was my hero said:

This is just a superb striker's goal:
https://streamable.com/89xxy

I had hoped for a Giroud, Bats, Abraham trio at S this season. It would have been enough PL, EL and domestic cup games for three strikers. 

On 9/21/2018 at 2:01 PM, Martin1905 said:

I think against teams like this they should both start. 

Jorginho may lake the killer assist but Fabregas won't orchestrate the team the way he does.

Jorginho is the key player in playing the way Sarri wants us to. We are lacking someone to play the final ball and Fabregas is one of the very best at that, I just don't want to see him play at the expense of Jorginho. 

 

Against lesser teams, it's becoming increasingly hard to justify Kanté. For some games a Fabregas - Jorginho - Kovacic/Barkley trio would be the way to go. Others a Kanté - Jorginho - Fabregas. The main point is that we now have options. I really like the start and the look of Sarri so far. I understand why he doesn't rotate much in the beginning, but I sure hope he isn't another Conte when it comes to squad rotation. We have too many exceptional talents for them to not being given plenty of minutes this season. 

On 9/21/2018 at 2:34 PM, Martin1905 said:

Disagree completely.  He orchestrates everything, not just with his passing but his movement, they way he demands the ball or sometimes not, the way he tells everyone where to move, when to slow it down,  when to speed it up, where he wants them to go, when to press, when  it to press. 

We lost all our shape, pressing, quick passing and tempo pretty much the second he went off last night 

Yep. Jorginho is absolute key. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Conte Kante said:

Doesn't the bolded bit not pretty much mean the same thing as what I originally said? I.e. people said he would not be able to play LB properly? 

No . It doesn't .

It means he is better suited to LWB not that he can't play LB .

Anyway , he's been brilliant as per usual .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

No . It doesn't .

It means he is better suited to LWB not that he can't play LB .

Anyway , he's been brilliant as per usual .

Certain people, quite a few if I remember rightly, have said he's not suited to playing left back.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.