• Current Donation Goals

ripz   

Just like Liverpool and City when their new managers first came in we end up with some square pegs in round holes. We need players who create,assist and score and right now Kante, Kovacic, Barkley and RLC don't really fit the bill for the 2 AM slots, not to mention Drinkwater and Bakayoko.  In games like this we needed pacy fullbacks overlapping, how many times in the game did we get to the byline or overlap the wings? I can't think of one single occasion.  Azpi isn't doing much at RB, like others said when Rudiger got injured we should've moved him to CB and got Zappa or Moses on.  Slightly disappointed at Sarri's unwillingness to change shape or tactic later in the game, only making like for like subs. Why not put Giroud and Morata together? Why not try something different?

40 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Against non-pressing teams, do we really need a guy making 180 tippy tappy passes? 

It all looks very beautiful, but there is really hardly anything incisive offered by Jorginho most tim

That is the debate right now.  Some like Martin see Jorginho as Orchestrating the whole team.  Others like you and me see him as doing a lot of positive stuff in making time for others, but no where near the killer passer needed to beat teams that sit back.  

It’s not so simple as just needing a striker either because first half I only remember that shot that Giroud mistimed and second half I remember Morata striking the ball into Fabianski’s face and then Kante skying one high. Barkley created an attempt out of absolutely nothing as well - but that’s about it really. 

Hardly incisive football with a hatful of opportunities. 

No we did have a hatful of chances.  Certainly more than in the 4-1 win a week ago.
Our weak point though is still a lack of movement up front - which is why Alonso or Kante entering the box leads to so many of our chances,

I think the guys look a bit confused about how to approach the game at the moment. Kovacic for instance started off a lot more incisive than he has been in the last couple games. Kante still looks more interested in closing down players than advancing forward and Barkley 9 out of 10 times resorts to laying the ball off than using his better qualities, eg. Driving the ball forward...

Static amongst too many defenders, like Morata/Giroud.
(The theme for this season is our attacking fails by Standing in the right places)
To some extent I can understand that if the ball is pinballing around, if you move no one will know where to find you.  

What does work well is Hazard/Willian/Pedro and sometimes Kovacic dropping deep and running forward with the ball or running forward into unmarked space.  But once anyone gets within 15m of the offside line, they all kind of freeze.

Roughly the way to play against teams that press is  to pass, pass, pass your way till you can release your undermarked attacking players.
The way to play against non-pressing teams is to have your forwards moving and your ball players taking their time to look up and make the right balls forward.  Much like taking set pieces into crowded boxes.

30 minutes ago, ripz said:

Just like Liverpool and City when their new managers first came in we end up with some square pegs in round holes. We need players who create,assist and score and right now Kante, Kovacic, Barkley and RLC don't really fit the bill for the 2 AM slots, not to mention Drinkwater and Bakayoko.  In games like this we needed pacy fullbacks overlapping, how many times in the game did we get to the byline or overlap the wings? I can't think of one single occasion.  Azpi isn't doing much at RB, like others said when Rudiger got injured we should've moved him to CB and got Zappa or Moses on.  Slightly disappointed at Sarri's unwillingness to change shape or tactic later in the game, only making like for like subs. Why not put Giroud and Morata together? Why not try something different?

I agree with you. I don’t one can’t understand how Kovacic became the first choice . 

Anyone else thinks midfield of Kanté, Kovacic and Jorginho is defensive? I mean they are good at keeping/wining balls but they don’t offer much in final third.

10 minutes ago, blue_everest said:

I agree with you. I don’t one can’t understand how Kovacic became the first choice . 

Anyone else thinks midfield of Kanté, Kovacic and Jorginho is defensive? I mean they are good at keeping/wining balls but they don’t offer much in final third.

Agreed that it's defensive. With that 3 we can control possession and quickly win it back if we lose it but they won't create good chances or score goals so we're again over reliant on the front 3.

As many others have said, Kanté should spend more time to the left of centre to cover the gallavanting Alonso, whilst our more attacking central midfielder would have more freedom to get into the box on the right with Azpilicueta providing cover.

A lack of goals from midfield is going to limit this team to top 4 at best. I'd rather see Fabregas than Kovacic as he's more likely to create chances. Barkley needs to be empowered to take risks and RLC needs to play 90 mins at number 8 on Wednesday. 

All in all it looks promising and there's no reason to panic. We're better than we were last year but we won't be ready to challenge City (And Liverpool) until next season at the earliest.

There's a kid scoring plenty of goals from midfield in the Championship at the moment, seems like he could he worth a go next season.

49 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

That is the debate right now.  Some like Martin see Jorginho as Orchestrating the whole team.  Others like you and me see him as doing a lot of positive stuff in making time for others, but no where near the killer passer needed to beat teams that sit back.  

I think, whoever may be right about Jorginho,  we mostly agree that he is doing a good job on the whole. Personally I don't expect him to play the killer pass as he's more often than not the deepest of our three midfielders and that is not what he does. He does play some great final balls, like the one to Willian today but on the whole it's not what he is about.

What we need to do, especially against teams we dominate is get Fabregas into the side. The whole 'Sarri ball' thing will go up another level with him playing and he is one if the very best at finding that killer pass. 

For all our creativity and possession if our strikers can't be relied on we will struggle.

Kepa is also a bit too attached to his goal line

37 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Agreed that it's defensive. With that 3 we can control possession and quickly win it back if we lose it but they won't create good chances or score goals so we're again over reliant on the front 3.

As many others have said, Kanté should spend more time to the left of centre to cover the gallavanting Alonso, whilst our more attacking central midfielder would have more freedom to get into the box on the right with Azpilicueta providing cover.

A lack of goals from midfield is going to limit this team to top 4 at best. I'd rather see Fabregas than Kovacic as he's more likely to create chances. Barkley needs to be empowered to take risks and RLC needs to play 90 mins at number 8 on Wednesday. 

All in all it looks promising and there's no reason to panic. We're better than we were last year but we won't be ready to challenge City (And Liverpool) until next season at the earliest.

There's a kid scoring plenty of goals from midfield in the Championship at the moment, seems like he could he worth a go next season.

Yes Mount is doing really well . Question is , will our manager be able to provide ample chances ? I doubt it. 

kev61   

I think we get ahead of ourselves at times - yes Kante is not as effective this season and he is playing out of position for most of us Azpi is not as effective as he was, these are things that can be ironed out given time.

what can't be ironed out is the centre forward position.When Costa was with us we had a  dysfunctional midfield but we were winning matches because of him.Now we have a functional midfield and a dysfunctional centre forward position, if only both were 'functioning' at the very least.

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

What we need to do, especially against teams we dominate is get Fabregas into the side.

If only because of the runs the forwards make when he is near the ball.

I'd suggest that if we play like that against Liverpool, we'll be embarrassed. Clueless for great parts of this game. As for our 'strikers', I'm just not sure what you can say about them - although 'rubbish' would be a good place to start. Well done, Marina, if that's your work.