• Current Donation Goals

BlueWill   
On 29/09/2018 at 5:23 AM, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I agree. But Liverpool at Anfield wasn’t one of the weaker sides and, ultimately, it would have done the youngsters more harm than good to get knocked out. Certainly Liverpool played one of their strongest sides. 

How are things working out for that Solanke fella who left us because he was better off at another club....

We did start Christensen up there. But, the point was general a one, about establishing a better idea of younger players capabilities and how we might best achieve that as 10 minutes here and there is of limited value.

Yeah, poor old Solanke. Moves out because expensive imports will damage his prospects to a club who promise opportunities in abundance, then decide our philosphy was right all along. Never saw enough of him here to make a judgement myself

BlueWill   
On 28/09/2018 at 6:41 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Trouble is that with the exception of maybe Bertrand in 2011/12, Christensen last year and perhaps RLC this year, we really have never had a player approaching first team level.  And all of them were only ready at 21/22.*.  Plenty of promising 18 year olds I agree.

I prefer to look at the right decisions we have make - all those games we did not give to Kakuta, Musonda, Boga, McEachran,  Solanke, Bruma, van Aanholt, Mancienne, Di Santo, Piazon, Borini, Sala, the Clifford brothers or hundreds more.

Putting them out on loan is a far smarter move to test them.  It would be nice if a short term move to the Championship was enough, like a certain JT or SFL got.  But given the level of the Prem nowadays, I really fail to see how keeping the likes of Abraham around now at Chelsea is doing him or the club any favours, and playing CHO or Ampadu at Anfield against a strongish oppo might do serious harm.  They aren't coming on as sub when we are behind either.

What I should clarify - If a young player can play at full PL adult level, albeit with the odd bad game where he can be subbed off, I have no objection to him getting picked preferentially.  But I really haven't seen many of our young players do that either in blue or on loan.  

*Frankly I doubt RLC will ever be ready and it isn't as though he is short of chances at Chelsea or on loan in the PL.  Tammy isn't really ready to be playing for us, though he should be on loan in the prem.

Loaning to a lower level provides game-time opportunities and at least some chance to assess progress & capability. But, if they're not loaned out we can't have them stagnating here, we have to provide opportunities to develope and assess. The right loan move is certainly a part of the mix, I was talking about the players not loaned out. I was very critical last season of Conte dropping Christensen in at the deep end and appearing to do little to improve some glaring weaknesses. He looked better Wednesday, which may be the benefit of being in a back 4 or being guided by GC, or perhaps he's already benefited form Sarri's training methods.

Subbed off> Subbed on. Looking at Ampedu and CHO on tour, both looked serious candidates.

I lean towards agreeing your view on RLC who seems prone to injury and is inclined to flit in and out of the game. Tammy could be a useful 3rd striker and would probably get some game time, not only from injury driven necessity.

Jasonb   

If we stay in a number of competitions through sheer attrition and fatigue we will need to use the wider squad at some point this season, this should provide openings for CHO, Ampadu and Christensen. Of course they need  to play well when selected yet that is the way of things.

Sea foot   
8 hours ago, Jasonb said:

If we stay in a number of competitions through sheer attrition and fatigue we will need to use the wider squad at some point this season, this should provide openings for CHO, Ampadu and Christensen. Of course they need  to play well when selected yet that is the way of things.

Which is why the youngsters should see some minutes now to get them up and running for when they will be needed IMO.