• Current Donation Goals

17 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

It was a long ball by Luiz - not in the air, but some considerable distance - cutting out the midfield play.  Hazard stopped it, spun off to the front line, and frankly the pass to the "in the clear" Hazard was easy.  Jorginho and Kovacic did well, but they weren't key to the goal, that was Luiz and Hazard.

It wasn't a complicated game.  Liverpool had more possession, at least as many chances and were not nearly as dependent on the long ball to create chances as we were.

No idea what you are talking about now. It was a Kovacic through ball to Hazard that set up the goal, after some very good play between him and Jorginho. You dismiss that part because it was 'easy' part, it was easy because of the space created by the three involved.

Edited by Martin1905

22 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

IIt wasn't a complicated game.  Liverpool had more possession, at least as many chances and were not nearly as dependent on the long ball to create chances as we were.

Liverpool had 53% possession overall, which if the 65% second half stats are correct means we had more than them in the first half, overall almost even.

They weren't reliant on the long ball, that's right, they were reliant on a poor pass form Willian, a slip by Azpilicueta and a worldie from Sturridge. 

I think our midfield three were brilliant, someone questioned it because Liverpools midfield apparently 'outpassed' us. I disagree completely. If you want to use the 53% possession as a reason for this then fine. What I witnessed, what I saw, everything I've read and seen since watching the game back on tv, tells me otherwise. Almost everyone agrees our midfield was superb, apart from two people on here pining for Fabregas to get in the team.

Edited by Martin1905

Kovatic has to go from having his back to goal with one Liverpool player behind him to facing goal with one Liverpool player behind him. He does that in one move. That is both technically and instinctively amazing.

I disagree that this wasn’t a complicated game. It was supremely complicated. The key to both Klopp and Sarri’s game plan is a sound structure and shape to their teams. I was captivated by the chess battle between them, always trying to win and cope with the constant moving pieces on the field. Brilliant. Give me this over Jose vs Rafa any day please!!!

Don't normally involve myself in petty arguments on here (there are enough to go around) but to say Kovacic is less than total class is mind-boggling to me.

One thing I don't understand yet is why Sarri still feels the need to sub him around 70 mins, like some of you I think with him on the pitch we may have nicked all 3 points.

No worries though happy with the draw and how Sarri has transformed our team in such a short time, future looks good!

2 minutes ago, Phoenix Blue said:

Don't normally involve myself in petty arguments on here (there are enough to go around) but to say Kovacic is less than total class is mind-boggling to me.

One thing I don't understand yet is why Sarri still feels the need to sub him around 70 mins, like some of you I think with him on the pitch we may have nicked all 3 points.

No worries though happy with the draw and how Sarri has transformed our team in such a short time, future looks good!

Ratio of physical and technical ability is great. 

Bison   

Interesting game and probably a fair result. Both teams had opportunities to win the game.

Giroud was pretty much useless. His lack of mobility was shown up big time and he didn't effect the game in any way. Morata was just as bad when he came on. I would have brought on another midfielder and moved Hazard central. He has proven he can hold the ball up and win fouls, frustrate the opposition by killing their momentum. I still have the Brazil vs Belgium QF game saved on my TiVo. Hazard gave an absolute masterclass that day - holding the ball up and relieving pressure.

Just a thought but maybe we shouldn't buy an out and out striker moving forward. Looking at our opponents yesterday - Firminho is a converted attacking midfielder. His skill set is different: very good link up play, creative and can interchange positions. Just looking at his league stats last year he had 15 goals and 7 assists. A solid contribution and his all-round play helped Salah and Mane have the season they did. We really need a solid, all round player leading the line. I would love a 30+ goal striker but I can't imagine a) somebody being available and b) us getting a deal done. We need to be creative and try something else because clearly what we we've been doing just isn't working.

Azpi had another bad game - that's two in a row now.

Barkley and Moses simply aren't good enough even for their squad roles.

Kepa wa solid and has slowly shown himself to be a top class keeper. It took a stunner to beat him. I can live with that.

I was worried about Jorginho before the game but I thought he played well. Liverpool were clearly trying to press him out of the game but he was involved in the build up to the goal and had a good influence in our general build up play.

A more normal Kante performance which is to say he played really well.

Edited by Bison

15 minutes ago, Bison said:

Interesting game and probably a fair result. Both teams had opportunities to win the game.

Loads to agree with here.  The game, Giroud and esp. Morata, Moses, Barkley, Azpi Kepa and Kante.  Spot on.
Mobility up front is a big issue.  The CFs in particular tend to just stand and watch the pinball behind them.
Sometimes Giroud is big and strong enough to at least provide a static target, but Dick van Dyke was all over him.

31 minutes ago, Phoenix Blue said:

happy ..   ...how Sarri has transformed our team in such a short time, future looks good!

Yes a lot making this point now and it is a good one.
Having said that, you could say to that convert our set of players into the dour defensive lot we had last year was the great achievement  :)

Fantastic game of football yesterday and for us encouraging that we could go toe to toe with Liverpool and deserve at least the point we got. Yes they had chances but so did we, before hazards goal after it and after their equaliser too. Our movement was good going forward with Hazard, Kante,Willian and Giroud contributing to that. Giroud went a bit under the radar but he kept Van Dijk (who despite his qualities isn't the quickest of thinkers) busy. He almost got his chance in the 2nd half where quick thinking stole a yard on van dijk who to his credit headed out for a corner.

The pleasing thing for me is to see that we are at least liverpools equals despite a new boss new ethos etc, perhaps over a season we will fall short of them and City but Sarri is already getting them playing.

Leo91   

That left side of Alonso, Kovacic and Hazard is probably the best in the league. Just not quite clicking on the right flank. If it did bloody hell!

• Like 1

Yes our options on that side aren't quite clicking yet. I wonder how Zappacosta would do there, but Azpilequeta brings much more all round despite his foem recently. didn't think he was bad yesterday by the way unlucky with the slip which was the most maeningful attack down his side and the equaliser wasnt him

46 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

That left side of Alonso, Kovacic and Hazard is probably the best in the league. Just not quite clicking on the right flank. If it did bloody hell!