• Current Donation Goals

On 30/09/2018 at 5:48 AM, The_Ghost said:

A few points. 

3. There has been much made out of Sarri-ball and it's likely success against better sides. We have played two top 6 challengers and still not lost. Two at home and one away in a cup with strong line-ups. Our downfall this season won't be a leaking defence, it'll be our non-scoring strikers.

100% agree.  Saturday would have been 3 points and a big defeat for Liverpool if we could take our chances. Instead the narrative in the media is that it was almost a Liverpool victory.

If we don't take our chances we will drop too many points to win anything this season.

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I was there, thought our midfield was brilliant, especially Kovacic. 

I've watched the whole game back on tv, thought our midfield was brilliant, especially Kovacic.

bit of a shame he is only a one season wonder due to him being a loaner without a buy option. if he continues to play each week and Marina & the cronies decides they want him at the club I suspect RM will command a kings ransom for him, alternatively RM may use him as bait for Hazard.

Would suggest Mason Mount would be a good replacement after a season working with SFL, unfortunately he's young, British from the clubs academy which means he has very little chance of playing for the 1st team. CHO, Ampadu, RLC are current examples

19 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Probably due to his incessant "gamesmanship" or in old money , cheating .

Indeed and not to mention knee high tackle from behind on hazard. Taking one for the team said the commentators light heartedly. Same mane who would never have meant to endanger citys  keeper last season

paulw66   

Some observations, and apologies if these have been said already

1. It was clearly a fair result, despite the obvious late frustration

2. Hazard.......brilliant again but he has to score to make it 2-0

3. That said, someone else needs to step up and help him out

4. Their goal, despite being a great strike, was easily avoidable. Criminal surrender of possession by Barkley. 1-0 up in the last knockings - keep the bloody ball!!!!! 

11 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

1. While I can appreciate that we've done well against the two other top sides we've faced. Let's not act as if we've not road our luck in those games and been fortunate in some regard to walk away with points. The defence is still suspect and one quality performance from David Luiz isn't magically going to mask our frailties down back. We've been on the kind end of some terrible finishing by opposition sides and it's hard to see that luck lasting all season. At some point those favourable results could just as easily be heavy defeats. 

2. Not having a reliable scoring CF will obviously be a factor, but with the amount of possession we have and attack minded we are, there's no real excuse for players like Hazard, Pedro and Willian to not be able to help shoulder some of that burden in the short term.

1. Yes, let's assume that EVERY chance our opposition has had should have resulted in a goal, while at the same time pretend we have scored on every chance we have got yeah? Others may focus on us playing attractive football, not having lost 7 games in while enjoying a 15-5 GD. I cannot for the life of me understand any Chelsea fan who isn't ecstatic over what we see now. Especially considering you don't have to go many months back to find us stuck with a manager more interested in trying to nullify Brighton at home by playing 5311 and only Hazard and Morata as attacking players. Yep, things are really looking bleak now aren't they? Also, what frailties at the back? We score more and concede less compared to last season. 

2. Yes if only those bloody wingers would start doing their jobs eh? Hazard 7 goals in 5 starts, Pedro 3 goals in 6 starts and Willian 2 goals in 7 starts. Those are our top 3 scorers so far this season so not entirely sure what your point is. 

Giroud has 0 and Morata has 1. 

Edited by The_Ghost
  • Like 1

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

1. Yes, let's assume that EVERY chance our opposition has had should have resulted in a goal, while at the same time pretend we have scored on every chance we have got yeah? Others may focus on us playing attractive football, not having lost 7 games in while enjoying a 15-5 GD. I cannot for the life of me understand any Chelsea fan who isn't ecstatic over what we see now. Especially considering you don't have to go many months back to find us stuck with a manager more interested in trying to nullify Brighton at home by playing 5311 and only Hazard and Morata as attacking players. Yep, things are really looking bleak now aren't they? Also, what frailties at the back? We score more and concede less compared to last season. 

2. Yes if only those bloody wingers would start doing their jobs eh? Hazard 7 goals in 5 starts, Pedro 3 goals in 6 starts and Willian 2 goals in 7 starts. Those are our top 3 scorers so far this season so not entirely sure what your point is. 

Nicely put.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

4. Their goal, despite being a great strike, was easily avoidable. Criminal surrender of possession by Barkley. 1-0 up in the last knockings - keep the bloody ball!!!!! 

I read somewhere that he has the record for giving the ball away most in a game , even more than Alexis Sanchez does apparently. 

It felt "wrong" at the time but within seconds he'd lost the ball two or three times and the Sturridge goal just cemented the feeling .

A bit harsh of Barkley who was fired up and desperate to do his bit for the side but it is what it is I'm afraid.

34 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I thought we were poor in winning midweek and nullified by Worst Ham but other than that , and I speak as a fervent supporter of both Mourinho and Conte when they were in charge I think we are really quite a good side at the moment and we have at times played some excellent football and more importantly aren't playing percentages whilst cowering on the edge of our own area when we play someone half decent , we are giving it a proper go and living or dying by the results. Long may it continue , let someone worry about what Hazard and Willian running at them will do and not how to break down two walls of five.

BlueWill   
On 29/09/2018 at 7:09 PM, Gormangorman said:

Kovacic off and barkley loses the ball immediately...

My heart sank when I saw Ross coming on. He constantly gave the ball away Wednesday and their goal here was rooted in him giving the ball away again - the critical error.

I do think Kante should have got tighter on Studge because he'd shown mid-week he believes he can score from there,. Hit the bar then but today its in the net.

BlueWill   
On 29/09/2018 at 7:26 PM, Vinod said:

With a little bit more quality in the attack department we would have comfortably won this. While Hazard stands head and shoulders above the rest, as a unit, Liverpool (and City) are considerably more dangerous in attack compared to us. Today's game would have taught Sarri a lot of things. Firstly, that our midfield is one of the best in the league today. Jorginho still needs to get used to the pace of the league, but he will get there. Secondly, our defence, while not the finest around, will make do. It is clearly not our weakness. And finally, the next steps in first team improvement has to be striker and right winger. 

Willian was completely off his game today. Kante was decent. For me our Man of the match was Kovacic.

Agree with that, no idea why some of the early posts are praising him. He really should have scored from the DL opening but his first touch was poor. In fairness he took a very heavy knock 1st half and looked even worse after that. Didn't expect to see him after HT.

No. 17 was immense, absolutely no idea why he was sacrificed the woeful one. 

Must say, that the team looked fabulous today. Still a way to go but defence & midfield looked a cohesive unit showing confidence in each other. Rudi & DL seem to have clicked. We need goalscorers.