• Current Donation Goals

Holymoly   

What I find frustrating is that when squad players are given the chance they rarely take it. The thing is that when so many are playing you end up being a collection of individuals rather than a team. Consequently the player has to shine on his own without much assistance from his team mates, and usually this doesn't happen. As happened tonight. Still the club won and I suppose that is the main thing.

Well that was really hard work. Usual rubbish from the usual suspects. 

Just as well we're not in the Champions League. Looks like we've found our level in this competition.

I think we'll go far.

Fabregas trying to be Sarri's back up pinball wizard instead of taking time on the ball and winning the match. 

Is what I said at h/t.  Late on Fabregas started to take time on the ball, we got a lot better chances and the goal came from Fabregas looking up, Willian making a run across the box and Fabregas hitting him perfectly to set up Morata.
That is how you score against deep defences - and it is not that difficult if you own a Fabregas.

Edited by Droy was my hero

chelboy   

Hard to blame some players who still look very unfit. Emerson RLC Christensen Cesc and Zappacosta all got very tired towards the end. I think by match 4 all players will look much better and up to speed. Its the regulars who were quite poor except Kovacic.  Could have got £100M for Morata and Willian this summer. As a squad player Willian is good enough for back up but when clubs come calling at £50M+ for him we should really snatch their hands off.

As for Morata he may have scored but lets be honest he is an average player. I do not buy the confidence thing I just think people overhyped Morata's expectations with his quality . The guy is very average. I will be honest I thought he was better than this. In the summer many did not want Higuain but I think we really should  have backed Sarri there.  Even if it was only a loan deal it would have been worth it. 

10 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Could have got £100M for Morata and Willian this summer.

Pinch of salt on both of those.
Any journalist could have told you that club or player were amenable to a move away, and so you can be pretty sure there were a dozen agents trying to set something up.  Doesn't mean there was a buyer at that price.

11 minutes ago, chelboy said:

As for Morata he may have scored but lets be honest he is an average player. I do not buy the confidence thing I just think people overhyped Morata's expectations with his quality . The guy is very average. I will be honest I thought he was better than this

I'd expected more too.  And to be fair, I always assumed several players were carrying injuries around January/February when we had few players and 2 games a week for 3 months.  So Morata's claim to be injured then sounds very probable.  Bakayoko too I suspect.

Morata just has a whole season of appearances though, I doubt there is a talent scout in Europe that hasn't worked out his true level by now.

Ham   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Is what I said at h/t.  Late on Fabregas started to take time on the ball, we got a lot better chances and the goal came from Fabregas looking up, Willian making a run across the box and Fabregas hitting him perfectly to set up Morata.
That is how you score against deep defences - and it is not that difficult if you ...........

........ are playing against the aforementioned plumbers and postmen.  

Well that was painful.

The apprentices came in but proved  incompetent at playing Sarriball against a pub team.  It was pretty much a tribute act to Conteball.

Morata is finished at this club and if anyone wants Willian they can have him. 

In past times if the attackers werent getting results we could rely on JT or Bran to pop up from a set piece but this lot nothing. Christensen apparrently was quite deadly in Germany but he badly needs to head one in and also stop the silly mistakes.

RLC still flatters to deceive. 

Edited by Gormangorman

kev61   
27 minutes ago, Ham said:

........ are playing against the aforementioned plumbers and postmen.  

But we should be building a team around him ham!a player who fleetingly makes defence splitting passes but goes awol most of the time like our saviour striker in tonight's game.

Edited by kev61

xCELERYx   
3 hours ago, Holymoly said:

What I find frustrating is that when squad players are given the chance they rarely take it. The thing is that when so many are playing you end up being a collection of individuals rather than a team. Consequently the player has to shine on his own without much assistance from his team mates, and usually this doesn't happen. As happened tonight. Still the club won and I suppose that is the main thing.

You're not wrong. It also doesn't help when a side has bulk changes and you have group of eleven on the pitch who've not really had much in the way of match time together to form any sort of understanding or chemistry. It, as you said, becomes more about individuals. Those fringe players are also disadvantaged in this sort of situation because they're also without any sort of match fitness or touch. They largely aren't in general match day squads, are glued to the bench or are at best picking up some scrap minutes here and there. There isn't really a base level for them to go from and essentially come into these sort of matches cold.