• Current Donation Goals

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Southampton at St. Mary's Stadium, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 14:15, Sunday, 7th October, 2018 (Local UK time/date).

paulw66   

Well I don't think we can use yesterday as an excuse, as I am expecting 8 of the 10 outfield players to be different.

Kepa, Azpi, Alonso, Rudi, Luiz, Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Pedro, Hazard, Giroud 

I'd pick Morata for this for 2 reasons...

1) Giroud is better off the bench
2) If Morata starts after scoring, that should give a small boost to his confidence and IF (big if) he scores again, it could go a long way to getting his confidence up and maybe finding some form

I'd go with:

Kepa

Azpilicueta Rudiger Luiz Alonso

Kante Jorginho Kovacic

Pedro Morata Hazard

Subs: Caballero, Emerson, Christensen, RLC, Barkley, Willian, Giroud

Sunday games after Thursday nights are always going to be tricky, but with plenty rested and last night being at home, we should have enough to beat this lot.

45 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

2) If Morata starts after scoring, that should give a small boost to his confidence and IF (big if) he scores again, it could go a long way to getting his confidence up and maybe finding some form

Only if we bring Giroud on after 25 mins.

Even if Morata starts scoring, I still don't think we should be picking him ahead of Giroud.  It is pretty clear he is not nearly as good as our WC winning CF.  We need a proper CF soon, or at least a 4th decent AM so we can play 3 out of 4, Hazard/Willian/Pedro/XXX on a regular basis.

I don't think all this coddling of Morata, trying to give him goals against weak teams as we saw against PAOK, is actually helping him man up.  
And I don't think the player back on his feet is all that good anyway.

13 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I'd go with:

Kepa

Kante Jorginho Kovacic

Pedro Morata Hazard

Sunday games after Thursday nights are always going to be tricky, but with plenty rested and last night being at home, we should have enough to beat this lot.

Yep, I like that. I'd still like to see CHO featuring on the bench though.

2 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

I'd still like to see CHO featuring on the bench though.

Young, form the academy, British. No chance. 

10 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yep, I like that. I'd still like to see CHO featuring on the bench though.

The next step in his development is not in Chelsea first team at 17.
Perhaps on loan in the Championship from January.
Derby would be nice, but 2 teenagers in the same side - SFL might be wary of picking both.
A JT managed Villa would be great.

7 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Young, form the academy, British. No chance. 

So it would seem at the moment, but I remain hopeful that it may change eventually, if for no other reason than the current mediocrity of the alternatives.

xCELERYx   
On 05/10/2018 at 7:29 PM, My Blood Is Blue said:

I'd go with:

Kepa

Kante Jorginho Kovacic

Pedro Morata Hazard

The further Morata is away from the starting eleven the better. He's had more than enough chances, I'd rather continue with Giroud until we sign another CF. While he may not be a consistent scorer, his overall game is better, he impacts general play and others around him more.

I'll take the CF who still contributes even if they're not finding the back of the net, over the one who constantly moans when every decision goes against him. 

1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

The further Morata is away from the starting eleven the better. He's had more than enough chances, I'd rather continue with Giroud until we sign another CF. While he may not be a consistent scorer, his overall game is better, he impacts general play and others around him more.

I'll take the CF who still contributes even if they're not finding the back of the net, over the one who constantly moans when every decision goes against him. 

Morata missed maybe 3 first half chances against Vidi all of which were pretty clear cut. 

Still, it seems clear to me that Sarris Chelsea are gonna struggle to get goals. Overall contribution to play isn’t that big a deal for us IMO. 

As long as Giroud doesn’t start scoring then the search has to go on I’m afraid. 

Id kill for a 15 goal striker right about now - nevermind a 20 or 30 goal striker.