• Current Donation Goals

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

I'm probably his biggest critic on here, one half decent performance won't change my opinion of him. He did ok, better than normal, but nothing spectacular. 

He's clearly working hard and really wants it. Fair play to him for that but his fundamental flaws are never going to go away. 

Yup......has done the square root of nothing since joining in January, and one decent performance against an awful team doesn't give anyone the right to say, "I told you so"

That said, he played well and he needs to build on it, otherwise, just a false dawn

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Yup......has done the square root of nothing since joining in January, and one decent performance against an awful team doesn't give anyone the right to say, "I told you so"

That said, he played well and he needs to build on it, otherwise, just a false dawn

Personally I think the critisism of Barkley is a bit hysterical. The lad has been out for ages with an injury, came here and was basically given a finger by Conte on day 1. 

That he is starting to show his worth for a manager who;

1. Wants to play football

2. Gives him a chance

Is no surprise. 

paulw66   
21 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Personally I think the critisism of Barkley is a bit hysterical. The lad has been out for ages with an injury, came here and was basically given a finger by Conte on day 1. 

2. Gives him a chance

Is no surprise. 

Agreed, but that doesn't mean after one good game, that anyone has been proved right / wrong either. 

He was criminally at fault IMO for the Liverpool equaliser, and rightly got criticised. 

54 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Agreed, but that doesn't mean after one good game, that anyone has been proved right / wrong either. 

He was criminally at fault IMO for the Liverpool equaliser, and rightly got criticised. 

As the OP, I wasnt really trying to be proved right or prove anyone wrong. My personal view is that his CFC career effectively started in pre-season and that he should get a few months or even a full season before anyone really writes him off as "appalling". He might end up being just that, or good but not good enough, or even good. 8 bit-part games into a new system in a new club isn't really much to base things on. Thats all.

At least he is genuinely working hard.

2 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

As the OP, I wasnt really trying to be proved right or prove anyone wrong. My personal view is that his CFC career effectively started in pre-season and that he should get a few months or even a full season before anyone really writes him off as "appalling". He might end up being just that, or good but not good enough, or even good. 8 bit-part games into a new system in a new club isn't really much to base things on. Thats all.

At least he is genuinely working hard.

I've personally not based my view on him on his time here. Before he even signed I said I didn't want him here as he's just not good enough, he's done absolutely nothing to change my mind.

6 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I'm probably his biggest critic on here, one half decent performance won't change my opinion of him. He did ok, better than normal, but nothing spectacular. 

He's clearly working hard and really wants it. Fair play to him for that but his fundamental flaws are never going to go away. 

There are 2 issues as far as I am concerned.

1.  He is not nearly as creative as many claim.  But then that is just as true for Kovacic or RLC.

2.  While he has work rate he also gives the ball away in dreadful places when ever he drops deeper.  Kovacic doesn't do this (and RLC doesn't drop or advance anywhere much).

I reckon Sarri might have the following plan:

Strong teams, 433 with Kovacic.   Weak teams 4213 with Barkley, with the understand that Barkley is not expected to drop alongside Jorgy and play from deep.

I wouldn't mind that so much.

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I've personally not based my view on him on his time here. Before he even signed I said I didn't want him here as he's just not good enough, he's done absolutely nothing to change my mind.

I have a problem when he speaks with a thick scouse accent in interviews but apart from that I can see potential. I def think he has more of a football brain than people give him credit for. 

I look forward to the day when he becomes our little scouser :)

Brin   

I thought when we first went for him that for the money he was worth a punt and have not as yet seen anything to change my mind, still young, English and shows potential if we can keep him fit. I do agree that he is not going to be the next Gazza which is what was bandied about when he first broke on the scene but don't understand the animosity shown towards him. IMHO a useful player without being outstanding but I do think he will also improve.

BlueWill   
On 10/10/2018 at 0:16 PM, The_Ghost said:

2. Gives him a chance

Is no surprise. 

No more hysterical than those lauding him for Sunday as if its the icing on the cake. Currantly(?) there is hardly any cake to ice.

I'm delighted that he was more careful with his passing and the anticpation to make the tackle before releasing Eden was excellent. However the defensive side of his game, whilst not as horrendous as vs L'Arse still leaves much room for improvement. You will have noticed that Saints weren't too interested in stopping us playing till we got very near their box. 

Would be great if he comes good, sops giving the ball away and starts knowing where to play without the ball as he clearly possesses the athleticism to get there and recovers energies quite well.

Do not forget, that if he hadn't given the ball away vs the scouse at the Bridge they'd be 3rd and lost their 'equal top claim, suffering a huge blow to their morale. We'd also now have a small but useful gap over Citeh. Was he under any pressure when he gave the ball away and was he short of options? The answer to both was no, so add poor decision making to poor passing. Will he do that again when under pressure to see the game out or pressurised by opponents for long periods? The Southampton game did not provide answers to the concerns, but did offer some cause for optimism.

31 minutes ago, BlueWill said:

No more hysterical than those lauding him for Sunday as if its the icing on the cake. Currantly(?) there is hardly any cake to ice.

I'm delighted that he was more careful with his passing and the anticpation to make the tackle before releasing Eden was excellent. However the defensive side of his game, whilst not as horrendous as vs L'Arse still leaves much room for improvement. You will have noticed that Saints weren't too interested in stopping us playing till we got very near their box. 

Would be great if he comes good, sops giving the ball away and starts knowing where to play without the ball as he clearly possesses the athleticism to get there and recovers energies quite well.

Do not forget, that if he hadn't given the ball away vs the scouse at the Bridge they'd be 3rd and lost their 'equal top claim, suffering a huge blow to their morale. We'd also now have a small but useful gap over Citeh. Was he under any pressure when he gave the ball away and was he short of options? The answer to both was no, so add poor decision making to poor passing. Will he do that again when under pressure to see the game out or pressurised by opponents for long periods? The Southampton game did not provide answers to the concerns, but did offer some cause for optimism.

Well I'm not sure what you want to achieve with this post? Establish you don't like Barkley? Thx we know! 

It is absolutely hysterical to run with a story calling him **** etc at this stage of the season. He's been out for a full season with a serious injury and is just starting to come back. You may not like him, but I think he's done enough to be given the minutes he is given at the moment. Look at him, he really wants this. He is working his socks off every time he steps on that field and he's in the physical form of his life. 

So not sure what all the bitching is about. Let them get on with it and we can judge players and manager at the end of the season- as is the usual way of evaluating someones season.