• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Manchester United 2

17 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

1. For me it isn't so much that Azpilicueta is playing terrible, he just hasn't quite been performing to the high standard that he generally has been in previous years. He looks a little lost in a sense about how to exactly play the fullback role being asked. 

2. The last couple under Conte where he played CB really saw him make a significant impact on games and reach a new playing level - more than I had certainly anticipated initially. He was able to get forward as one of those three CB's and push into midfield where his deep crossers into the box were effective, while still remaining a defensive lynchpin. Conte seemed to find a role for Azpi that extracted the best from him. Under Sarri there doesn't quite seem to be that same level of confidence or understanding. Returning to a fullback position has sort of taken him away from the play in a sense - particularly with Sarri preferring his RB to be more defensive than his LB. 

3. He isn't the only player in this situation though, there's a handful of others who aren't really playing roles that enable their best qualities and characteristics to come to the forefront. This is one of Sarri's biggest problems at the moment on hand, so it will be interesting to see if anything changes in that regard given his stubborn nature. 

Some very interesting and valid points made here. Agree with a lot of it. 

1. Fully agreed. He doesn't reach his normal highs and one can speculate why. Personally I'm leaning towards him being a bit rusty, considering he hasn't played as an RB consistently since 2012-13 and that season saw him play as an LB but also in other positions if I'm not entirely mistaken. Looking at PL starts among the defenders that season sees a grand total of 166 starts for Ivanovic, Luiz, Cole, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Bertrand and Terry (in order), the equivalent of 41,5 games (166/38). Luiz had some starts in midfield, and Bertrand (and Azpi?) as "wingers" in RDM/Benitez 4231. Of course he has enjoyed the occassional game at RB since, but when José came back in 2013 he was kind of permanently moved to LB. Then, as you point out, he moved to RCB in Conte's 3-man central defense. 

2. Yes, Azpi was sort of made for that RCB spot wasn't he? Good on the ball, extremely solid defensively and he frequently stepped up into a midfield position where he could control the game. In Sarri's stryle, Jorginho and the other midfielders are the ones who do this now. Hence, midfield is crowded as it is, and he is much more needed down the flank to support the RW. That isn't his strong side of the game and he has taken a much more defensive role leaving Alonso to do most of the attacking from FB. Problem being this is ridiculously easy to read. Perhaps it is time to give Zappacosta some more game time, particularly in games where we will be on the front foot and attack and can do with the extra pace and penetration down that right side. 

3. I think one way to tweak this system is to add a  midfielder tasked with a far more attacking role with the aim to add penetration and goals. Maybe Barkley and Loftus-Cheek can develop to be that player. I don't see Kovacic doing it. He's better suited further back, as is Jorginho and Kanté. Maybe in such situations Kanté can do the back-tracking when Azpi steps up in CM, Barkley/RLC moving into space that the striker has created and Alonso getting up his side. A tweak of the system when attacking. Hazard likes to come inside anyways, so in attack Alonso has a LW role, Hazard an inside forward role, Morata/Giroud a target type role and Barkley as central/right support with Willian/Pedro staying more wide. Here Azpi can fill the CM space with Jorginho and control the tempo of the game from there. A type of inside RWB/RDM role when we have the ball. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ham said:

He didn't say a word.  That's proven from the footage. He ran past the Utd bench twice facing JM whilst punching the air with both fists. 

Call the cops. 

The press reaction to so many things on Saturday has me aghast;

The lack of reaction to JM completely losing it and lunging at our coach. The FA have just cleared him. Ianni faces punishment.  One man is celebrating in an over-zealous way whilst the other is seeking blood in a very aggressive way.

The fact that SSN looked at whether Kante might have fouled one of theirs in the box but not once at why Alonso was on the ground in the run up to their first. Same with MOTD and the Sunday Supplement. 

The fact that SSN also looked at whether a Utd player was pushed over in the run up to our equaliser, suggesting that we got away with one.

The fact that all press have completely ignored the stats.  21 attempts to 7?  63% possession? The general consensus is that it was a completely even game and that Utd deserve credit for their overall performance. 

Unbelievable Jeff.

Good stuff ham.

Your just missing the fact that Mata shouldn't have been sent off for a blatant red card offence because he is a 'nice guy' and that Young didn't foul Hazard, which was the worst decision in the entire game by a country mile, because he was attempting to block a shot. 

• Like 1

Ham   
15 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Good stuff ham.

Your just missing the fact that Mata shouldn't have been sent off for a blatant red card offence because he is a 'nice guy' and that Young didn't foul Hazard, which was the worst decision in the entire game by a country mile, because he was attempting to block a shot. 

Forgot about those.  Not discussed on any platform since. 

There was also no replay on sky after their goal to highlight whether Alonso had been fouled in the lead up to their goal. Despite the fact him being on the floor  directly led to the goal.  Whether he should of have jumped straight up is neither here nor there because I've no idea if he was in genuine pain, but it was a massive talking point that wasn't talked about.

chelboy   
11 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

There was also no replay on sky after their goal to highlight whether Alonso had been fouled in the lead up to their goal. Despite the fact him being on the floor  directly led to the goal.  Whether he should of have jumped straight up is neither here nor there because I've no idea if he was in genuine pain, but it was a massive talking point that wasn't talked about.

He seemed to get up after they scored and needed no medical treatment.  I think he was being a bit lazy. I can bet if he was in the other box attacking he would  have got up. It should have been a foul but he should still carry on and defend. Sky did show later on that he was fouled.

kev61   
12 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

LOL.

Seriously Kev, where were you 2004-2012? This is right up there in terms of silliness. You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts mate. The JM team Mourinho put the finishing touches on lived on for years after he was sacked the first time.

I have more gratitude towards Roman than Mourhino - yes I was excited when we won the title in his first year but after that his football bored me shitless.Winning titles is good but winning titles and playing entertaining football is a must(for me anyway)with the amount of money players are paid and the amount of money paid to watch the game.

13 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

LOL.

Seriously Kev, where were you 2004-2012? 

Partly watching shite football under the self proclaimed 'special one'.I won't detain you as I'm sure you'r busy at this time of year.

Ham   
13 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I won't detain you as I'm sure you'r busy at this time of year.

😅

2 hours ago, chelboy said:

He seemed to get up after they scored and needed no medical treatment.  I think he was being a bit lazy. I can bet if he was in the other box attacking he would  have got up. It should have been a foul but he should still carry on and defend. Sky did show later on that he was fouled.

Well I think if Alonso was just being lazy by not getting up when an attack was taking place he should reconsider his place in our team. And if Sky are too lazy to show a replay of a major incident when it happens, maybe they should reconsider their status as a sports broadcaster which take huge sums of money out of our bank accounts every month.

paulw66   
18 hours ago, Ham said:

Forgot about those.  Not discussed on any platform since. 

Sky always do their review of decisions after each weekend. No discussion on Mata red card, Alonso injury or penalty on Hazard. Nothing. 

On 10/21/2018 at 2:13 PM, JaneB said:

What did happen then?

On 10/21/2018 at 3:23 PM, Backbiter said:

What do you see happening here?

Even if there was an eye poke it wouldn't have been visible from that angle.

None of Vilanova, Barca or the Spanish FA have said there was an eye poke - pretty clear that a few have imagined it, and a lot more have been gullible enough to believe it (because it was Mourinho and not er, Mata).