• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 BATE Boris 1

6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I'll tell you someone else that lacks a certain tactical astuteness ...Luiz. That boy can be all over the place (and he's in his 30s with a CL medal). However we are a poorer team without him. 

We played most of last season with a massive liability called Bakayoko and it took an age before he was classed as a massive liability. Ruben has played 7 games in 4 years!! How about giving him a decent run in team in selected games with some 30 min sub appearances here and there so we might get to see for ourselves. Check with Palace supporters maybe. Check with Southgate maybe. And the last time I heard from his old coach Jody Morris was on TV during the Carling cup . He was getting quite passionate and annoyed about why present and past coaches are not picking RLC, Ampedu , Mount, Hudson O etc for more games. He was asked by the host if he thought these players were ready. Jody's response was "they are 100% ready".  If he now thinks they should go on loan it's probably because he realises they will never get the chance they deserve at Chelsea football club. He's probably right.   

Luiz has poor decision making at times but that is largely due to his high risk, high reward approach to defending. I have said this a number of times but the reason why Luiz has been playing at the top level for so long - seemingly to the amazment of a lot of people - is owing to the fact that he is very good at intercepting the ball early. This however, does two things, the first is that when he wins the ball he makes it look as if he was always the favourite to win it as he does so early in the build up and/or gets himself ahead of the forward early and the second is that when he misses, he has a lot of yardage behind him, which usually means a gapping hole behind him as he is a CB.

Now do not get me wrong, sometimes he goes a bit far with this I.e. Utd at home, but that is largely due to the fact he is a unusual for a CB in that he is not out there playing the percentages but rather trying to win the game. For instance, if he had intecepted Mata he would have been able to release a quick counter as Utd had committed men forward. In addition to this, he is definitively a top five CB on the ball whilst he is one of only a few of our squad who is actually a leader. 

As for Baka, I said from the outset he was awful as I actually watched him a lot for Monaco and said on numberous occassions before we brought him that he did nothing in that Monaco team.

As for Palace fans, my whole father's side are season tickets holders and whilst they love his on the ball ability they have also commented that his work rate off the ball is poor. The only reason why they are so keen to have him back is a) they can afford to give him the luxury role as they do not have anyone to take the pressure off Zaha, b) he is English and c) they are Palace, a team fighting relegation and a squad that that is nowhere close to ours. 

As for Southgate/England, yes he does rate RLC but lets not go crazy, CM/AM is a serious issue at the moment, he did not actually play him that much at the WC and he has dropped him from the last squad. 

Now do not get me wrong, I like RLC a lot and I think he is very talented on the ball, whilst he also has all the physical attributes you could ask for. However, to be a starting player for a top PL/European club you cannot just be good at one side of the game and deficient in the other unless you possess Mbappe, Messi, Hazard, Robben type talent - for me Amapadu possess this although in non-attacking traits. Otherwise you run the risk ofbecoming Wenger's Arsenal Mk II. 

As I said at the outset, RLC has been let down mainly by his lack of minutes on the pitch compared to his contemporaries and this should have been achieved through loans, because if you want a team competing for top honours then you need to select on merit. Furthermore, the issues I and others pull up are issues that everyone manging him have discussed, so this is not an issue without merit. 

2 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I think it was the exact opposite.  I think Managers (José and then Conte) saw such an athletic, technically gifted guy, they decided to keep him around which has ended up being to his detriment. He was too good at too young an age, and has been guilty of Managers wanting to take a closer look and not want to risk losing him for a season.

We need to be careful not to make that same mistake with Hudson-Odoi and Ampadu 

CHO definitively needs to go as his position is one more suited to young players and he could easily be a starter for teams such as Huddesfield or Cardiff. Also, whilst he has a lot of talent he needs to acclimatise to the rigors of adult football and probably bulk up a bit - in the Anelka sense.

As for Amapdu, his situation is a bit more tricky, as we kind of need to keep him at the club to get him qualified as a HG UEFA player. Addittionally, in my book he is actually a bona fide phenom in that he plays/reads the game like an adult as a teenager. For me, he is someone that I would be willing to risk at PL level as only a very few players have been able to do something like that and usually they go on to be great players - see Messi, Lionel, Rooney, Wayne, Buffon, Gianluigi, Raul, Ronaldo, Fat. 

kev61   

I was always a fan of cruyff's total football plan.We have two strikers that can't strike a match and someone that just scored a hat trick in a forward position - for God's sake let's experiment with what we have instead of throwing good money after bad.

6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Who made this damning character assessment? Certainly not Jody Morris when RLC was developing. In fact Jody's chief complaint was that  first team coaches hardly ever came down to check out the young up and coming players. he gave the impression they simply were not interested in anyone except the first team.   From my point of view (a fan) I like his character. Plays with a bit of swagger, doesn't seemed phased by anything, adapted well to Palace and then well to England and then back to us, doesn't sit whinging, smiles a lot, not cock sure of himself but confident of his abilities. Oh and neck and neck in the goal scoring stats with Giroud and Morata (after one game). What's not to like? 

If your hired as the head coach of Chelsea you are expected to deliver CL football, maybe a pl title and cups every season. If not your gone. With that gun at your head there is very little chance of the coach trying to integrate academy player into the team. 

I would suspect there is also huge pressure from the cronies to uterlise those very expensive senior players on the books. 

5 hours ago, BlueWill said:

That is absolutely ridiculous, Laurent Blanc would not splash £50 mill on a tactically weak CB. I saw someone here blame him for the German thrashing of Brazil, which is simply pathetic. 

You can naively question his decision making at times but to call him tactically naive is absurd.

What the hell has Lauren Blanca got to do with the price of chips? Firstly is he the one who makes all the decisions on  the players PSG buys? and secondly, does he decide the price that the club will fork out? If the answer to that is yes then he wields some extraordinary powers at that club. And we could certainly do with him here then because last year our coach/club pissed away 100 mill on two players who were less than tactically astute ...Morata and Bakayoko ( naive was your word by the way not mine). It does happen with big clubs you know. Look what United have blown in recent years..  Pogba and Sanchez being the latest eye watering financial loses.

But back to Luiz. Firstly I'd say tactics and decision making are close cousins. Everything a footballer does on a pitch is through decisions he makes. But anyway I am a big fan of Luiz and always have been. Sometimes I have felt like the lone voice defending him ( shame you were not there to back me up during those periods). For me his positives outweigh his negatives but even I can see faults, and following team tactics is not always his strong point.  He can get out of position, he can lose his man, he can make reckless decisions in the wrong area of the pitch. In a back three he seems to be in his comfort zone but in a four he can be a worry.  Have you noticed the amount of goals flying past us this season? We couldnt even keep a clean sheet against those Charlies the other night. I'm not saying it's all Luiz's fault because it's not. What I am saying is that compared to someone like JT,  who was always tactically spot on, Luiz often isn't.  

42 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

If your hired as the head coach of Chelsea you are expected to deliver CL football, maybe a pl title and cups every season. If not your gone. With that gun at your head there is very little chance of the coach trying to integrate academy player into the team. 

I would suspect there is also huge pressure from the cronies to uterlise those very expensive senior players on the books. 

I'm sure your right but what exactly is the point of our academy? I'm sure a while ago Roman was demanding that the academy start producing and justifying it's existence.  Last season we neither blooded these young prospects or qualified for the CL ( so that went well).

As I see it at the moment we have a golden generation of academy players. This could be our Class of 92 . Gently does it for sure, but come on let's at least try. It might never happen again like this again.  

Holymoly   
17 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I  often see sloppiness and casualness in certain Chelsea players during matches. It seems that doesn't count, because over the years I've been amazed at how much patience a coach gives a lazy out of form regular player. I'd rather have a player that comes alive for the game and is a bit lazy in training than the other way round. We haven't picked up many Prem points at Cobham last time I looked.  

While this is true we're dealing with real life and not Football Manager. Unless you're dealing with someone like Ibrahimovic then performance in training is going to be held in far greater regard as an indicator of form than the odd flash in the pan on Saturday. Similarly the occasional casual performance on the pitch will be excused if they continue to work their tits off in training.

Holymoly   
8 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

I don't think this is confined to Chelsea these days. Liverpool only did a few years ago because they had little option. I can't see them doing much more promoting in the short term with a league title a possibility. I would argue that all Premier League teams now only use youth when there is no alternative due to injury and/or suspension. It just so happens that our conditioning team appears to be among the best as we rarely see non match related injuries.

On 10/26/2018 at 3:54 AM, Bob Singleton said:

I agree... we've gone from man marking to zonal marking, so we're not moving around in the box and being left flat footed.

I hear you but man marking didn’t help Jose and ManU last weekend when we scored twice from set piece situations. The key as always is execution. Also mind you that we are far away from the days of 6’2” + strikers, midfielders (Lampard, Ballack, Mikel, etc), and defenders (including Ivanovic at right back). That personnel favors man to man. But when you have midgets in midfield (Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic) plus Azpilicueta in defense, a man to man set up likely will create multiple mismatch opportunities for the opposition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikelBlue said:

I hear you but man marking didn’t help Jose and ManU last weekend when we scored twice from set piece situations. The key as always is execution. Also mind you that we are far away from the days of 6’2” + strikers, midfielders (Lampard, Ballack, Mikel, etc), and defenders (including Ivanovic at right back). That personnel favors man to man. But when you have midgets in midfield (Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic) plus Azpilicueta in defense, a man to man set up likely will create multiple mismatch opportunities for the opposition. 

I think that if man2man was definitely better than zonal, everyone would chose m2m (and likewise if Zonal were clearly better).
So I doubt there is much net difference and both have their weaknesses.
Interesting to hear you idea about the choice relative to the number of big guys, I hadn't heard that before, but it makes a lot of sense.

BTW, Azpi is no midget, he always marked man for man from his first season, long before he became CB3.  And he sticks to opponents better than most too.

Edited by Droy was my hero