• Current Donation Goals

paulw66

Marcos Alonso

paulw66   

Signs new 5 year deal........great news. Fantastic player. Takes him up to 32, so his prime years will be with us, or alternatively, we will get full market value if one of the big Spanish teams come knocking. 

jangz   

Been dire for the last two months..  Can't run can't defend..  His delivery has deserted him too.. 

xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, jangz said:

Been dire for the last two months..  Can't run can't defend..  His delivery has deserted him too.. 

Said it from the beginning, he's just not equipped to play fullback effectively. Comes as no real surprise that's he's dropped off from the performance level he was showing 12 to 18 months ago. What's more surprising is that he's not been dropped yet. How he's still in the team at the moment while Emerson collects splinters in his backside is beyond me. Surely at some point Sarri has to make the change, even if only for a handful of games to give Emerson a look. 

Definitely concerning though. Hopefully he'll find some form again soon before the season is out. 

paulw66   
4 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Said it from the beginning, he's just not equipped to play fullback effectively. Comes as no real surprise that's he's dropped off from the performance level he was showing 12 to 18 months ago. What's more surprising is that he's not been dropped yet. How he's still in the team at the moment while Emerson collects splinters in his backside is beyond me. Surely at some point Sarri has to make the change, even if only for a handful of games to give Emerson a look. 

Definitely concerning though. Hopefully he'll find some form again soon before the season is out. 

Out of form certainly. Would like to see Emerson on Saturday

49 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Out of form certainly. Would like to see Emerson on Saturday

Quite, he was being discussed as one of the best left backs in Europe earlier in the season. No surprise our full backs haven't been as effective since we slowed down our play and went more conservative.

Emerson should definitely get some games, trying to play Alonso into form hasn't worked, maybe a rest would.

I think Alonso is fine - we are on a great run of scoring real goals and hitting posts while not conceding real goals.  The team is fine.

Mind you Emerson is also good.  Zappacosta is also good (and Azpi great on either side).  However you look at it LB is not a problem area.

Tactically thought there is a couple of small changes.  CHO plays very wide, and he has got a lot of support from Azpi who makes runs up the inside channel into the box, whereas before he rarely moved, and then only on a very wide very late overlap.  That means Alonso is the FB who has to stay more often that in the past.  Indeed on TV last night I was amazed at how often when Spurs hoofed out of defence it was Alonso who appeared from the bottom of the screen to pick up the ball from amongst our CBs in a very central area.  Much as Azpi frequently does.  I guess this was simply that Spurs had Kane and Son pushed up, so that we kept 3 back all the game.  

Also Barkley at RCM has started to take up the wide positions near the corner flag as Hazard (or Willian) vacate them, moving inside.  That too is a traditional area for Alonso to position himself.  So he either stays back or moves directly into the box (where he often appears to have got out of position pointlessly through no fault of his own).

In other words, some of the attacking tasks Alonso used to do have been spread about the team.  Nothing wrong there.

We need to rotate our FBs a lot more than we do. Emerson and Alonso are both better going forward than defending, but both would benefit from a more equal distribution of minutes.

For matches where we expect to dominate, I'd play Zappacosta ahead of Azpilucueta. Azpi would be on the bench to bring on if necessary when we're ahead.

jangz   
On 1/9/2019 at 4:18 PM, Droy was my hero said:

I think Alonso is fine - we are on a great run of scoring real goals and hitting posts while not conceding real goals.  The team is fine.

Mind you Emerson is also good.  Zappacosta is also good (and Azpi great on either side).  However you look at it LB is not a problem area.

Tactically thought there is a couple of small changes.  CHO plays very wide, and he has got a lot of support from Azpi who makes runs up the inside channel into the box, whereas before he rarely moved, and then only on a very wide very late overlap.  That means Alonso is the FB who has to stay more often that in the past.  Indeed on TV last night I was amazed at how often when Spurs hoofed out of defence it was Alonso who appeared from the bottom of the screen to pick up the ball from amongst our CBs in a very central area.  Much as Azpi frequently does.  I guess this was simply that Spurs had Kane and Son pushed up, so that we kept 3 back all the game.  

Also Barkley at RCM has started to take up the wide positions near the corner flag as Hazard (or Willian) vacate them, moving inside.  That too is a traditional area for Alonso to position himself.  So he either stays back or moves directly into the box (where he often appears to have got out of position pointlessly through no fault of his own).

In other words, some of the attacking tasks Alonso used to do have been spread about the team.  Nothing wrong there.

I think where I struggle with Alonso is his drop in quality of delivery..  And poor decision making of when to slow the game down and when to quicken it in he attacking third.. 

He was never great defensively but he seems to really get brushed off easily for a decent side fullback.  His tackles remain half hearted and positional he looks unsure.. 

44 minutes ago, jangz said:

I think where I struggle with Alonso is his drop in quality of delivery..  And poor decision making of when to slow the game down and when to quicken it in he attacking third.. 

He was never great defensively but he seems to really get brushed off easily for a decent side fullback.  His tackles remain half hearted and positional he looks unsure.. 

I don't see any of that.  Positionally things have changed recently.  As a result I guess fans are less certain about where he is going to pop up next.  Me included.  But I don't thing Alonso, Sarri or the other players are confused.