• Current Donation Goals

paulw66

Marcos Alonso

Predictable, but I think Alonso is no different now than at any other point in his career, minor and entirely normal fluctuations in form aside. 

The manager picking him has changed... 

Without doubt the weakest link in our defence. Never runs, just walks or lightly jogs. Makes the wrong passes. Always caught out of postion, on the half way line whilst the opposition winger is busy running at our defence and getting a cross in. Then the LCB, Jorginho and Kante have to cover for him which stetches our defence.  Cross completion rate of 8%. Hazard seems to get more frustrated with him by the game.

Cannot defend, has no pace, doesn't work hard, can't be bothered. Played well to get his contract, now knows he'll always be picked so can't be bothered.

Should have been dropped months ago. The sooner we sell him and get a LB who runs, who works hard and can actually defend, the better.

Edited by James Prescott
  • Confused 1

paulw66   
55 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

.  Cross completion rate of 8%. 

Nobody to cross it to. 

Other than speed I don't think we have much to worry about regarding Alonso , he's a great player , he's not in the best of form at the moment but he's not alone there .

I still think 3-5-2 suits his attributes best but others do not agree and that's fine by me  , I think he probably could do with a rest for a game or so solely to recharge his batteries and I'm sure we'll see the best of him once that occurs .

We can always sit him on the bench and bring him on for Giroud if we need a goal !

• Like 1

paulw66   
5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Other than speed I don't think we have much to worry about regarding Alonso , he's a great player , he's not in the best of form at the moment but he's not alone there .

I still think 3-5-2 suits his attributes best but others do not agree and that's fine by me  , I think he probably could do with a rest for a game or so solely to recharge his batteries and I'm sure we'll see the best of him once that occurs .

We can always sit him on the bench and bring him on for Giroud if we need a goal !

Quite frankly, left back is the least of our problems.

We aren't conceding many goals, we just aren't scoring enough. 

5 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I still think 3-5-2 suits his attributes best but others do not agree and that's fine by me  ,

Perhaps we should try him as a WB one day.  But the Conte version of 523 and Sarri's 433 both seem suited to him as a conventional FB.  

21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Perhaps we should try him as a WB one day.  But the Conte version of 523 and Sarri's 433 both seem suited to him as a conventional FB.  

I even put the caveat on the end .....your like a dog with a bone !

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I even put the caveat on the end .....your like a dog with a bone !

You can't be surprised.  There is an enormous spurious debate about how his "role has changed" when it hasn't.  Indeed Azpi's role hasn't changed much either, from RCB who pushes on or into midfield half of the time, to RB who tucks in with the CBs half of the time.  All he has had to learn is how to take throw-ins.