• Current Donation Goals

Blue Rod   
7 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

And this is fair in assessing it. 

Kovacic is still the better player technically but only a complete idiot can disregard that Barkley has performed well over the last 4-5 games and is certainly superior in a number of other departments. 

In any case, opinion wont matter a bit as long as Barkley continues to rack up the stats. Lets be honest here, before Barkley scored that second goal the game could have swung either way.

This is not criticism of Kovacic at all, but Barkley had overtaken him in the pecking order maybe since before the international break.

Couldn't disagree. Except to add that a lot of my assessment of Barkley was based on having barely watched him. I suspect many here would say the same. What impresses me about him is the array of skills he's showing in a relatively short time - ball winning, poacher's anticipation, calmness in front of goal, long range shot like the one today which he placed beautifully with ease.

He could turn out a superb all round midfielder. I would like him to assert and impose himself a bit more both for club and country. But I can also understand the psychology of it; not trying to make yourself too big too early. 

50 minutes ago, JaneB said:

No exactly, which is what Chara and I were discussing if you'd bothered to read it.  Unlike you, I can change my mind about managers, good and bad.

It was a long post of mine, and my comment on you and Sarri was written long before the rest of your discussion with Chara or my completed post came up.
All I was doing, like Chara, was to note the change.  And point out he has been given an easy ride so far.  
Meanwhile I am back tracking (somewhat) on Barkley.

46 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I think some people already decided that Barkley was inferior to Kovacic even before either of them kicked a ball for Chelsea. On paper Kovacic did look the better player. But this season so far, I can't see any part of the game where Kovacic is as good as Barkley. It's going to be a long season and their fortunes will change a few times. At the moment I would say it's Kovacic to catch Barkley. 

They are like mirror opposites.  Barkley looks like a liability against strong teams.  Kovacic looks pointless against weak teams.  I'd say it's like saying this pencil is better than this rubber.  Or a game of rock paper scissors.
Sarri seems to be choosing between them based on the opponents.

17 minutes ago, Ham said:

Droy..... This one? 

Screenshot_20181028-175444_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes - I think it was used in all cup games for a while, so we saw it a lot.  

12 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Only seen highlights, but based on them I am pleased to see Morata not only having a match-long fight with a bullying CB

I can't say I saw this.  Perhaps the highlights showed his booking for diving and the rough reaction by the 2 CBs (which the otherwise good ref bottled).
I did miss first 20 mins though.

Edited by Droy was my hero

4 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

And this is fair in assessing it. 

Kovacic is still the better player technically but only a complete idiot can disregard that Barkley has performed well over the last 4-5 games and is certainly superior in a number of other departments. 

In any case, opinion wont matter a bit as long as Barkley continues to rack up the stats. Lets be honest here, before Barkley scored that second goal the game could have swung either way.

This is not criticism of Kovacic at all, but Barkley had overtaken him in the pecking order maybe since before the international break.

I haven't seen the game yet so just going on comments made here, but I think this performance has been coming from Barclay. All season I have quite liked the look of him and I have seen a 3 dimensional player developing with real football intelligence. At times he has even looked a bit Lampardesque. I'm not sure Lamps was that great defensively either, I wasnt paying too much attention as I was too busy cheering his goals. Well done Barclay ( keep it up) and well done Chels. I'm looking forward to watching the game now!

Edit: and well done RLC.... 4 goals in two games from midfield is quite something for someone just coming cold into the team.

Leo91   

This is Barkleys first real season with us being 100% fit. He's finding form and becoming the promising player he was at Everton. Didn't watch the game but was a pleasing result without Hazard.

JaneB   
24 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

It was a long post of mine, and my comment on you and Sarri was written long before the rest of your discussion with Chara or my completed post came up.
All I was doing, like Chara, was to note the change.  And point out he has been given an easy ride so far.  

Okey dokey :-)

chelboy   
56 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I think some people already decided that Barkley was inferior to Kovacic even before either of them kicked a ball for Chelsea. On paper Kovacic did look the better player. But this season so far, I can't see any part of the game where Kovacic is as good as Barkley. It's going to be a long season and their fortunes will change a few times. At the moment I would say it's Kovacic to catch Barkley. 

Kovacic is the better player. What Barkley does better than Kovacic is take risks in the final third and also tries to get on the end of things which he is good at.  In terms of ability Kovacic has more overall and reads the game better than Barkley which is crucial for a midfielder. Kovacic has probably had better coaching than Barkley in their careers to be fair so it would be interesting to see how far both can go if Kovacic stays. If Kovacic can learn the attacking side  he can be a complete player and probably become  top 5 midfielders in the world IMO. He is faultless at everything but attacking contribution. 

kev61   

This was the most accomplished performance all season imo.Yes it was only Burnley but we looked a couple of leagues better than them in every department.

The thing about Barkley is he is a team player without ego imo,he does the simple things with aplomb - will it last? none of us know.Whether it is luck that Sarri has developed this team to want to play for the club,individually and for each other looks very encouraging.

We destroyed a premiership team away from home and without Hazard today let's hope it becomes a trend and to rest him against teams like Burnley.

My Liverpool buddies pointed out that Liverpool won more games when Stevie G wasn't playing in one season.Maybe  we are putting all our eggs in one basket with Hazard? - today we showed we can play without him in certain matches which delights me no end.

Just now, kev61 said:

This was the most accomplished performance all season imo.Yes it was only Burnley but we looked a couple of leagues better than them in every department.

The thing about Barkley is he is a team player without ego imo,he does the simple things with aplomb - will it last? none of us know.Whether it is luck that Sarri has developed this team to want to play for the club,individually and for each other looks very encouraging.

We destroyed a premiership team away from home and without Hazard today let's hope it becomes a trend and to rest him against teams like Burnley.

My Liverpool buddies pointed out that Liverpool won more games when Stevie G wasn't playing in one season.Maybe  we are putting all our eggs in one basket with Hazard? - today we showed we can play without him in certain matches which delights me no end.

Yep, me too Kev. I think his absence may have helped to bring out the best in Willian today.

Burnley got away with a lot of fouls today. I read criticism of Kepa for his aerial game but he was fouled twice when coming for the ball today and the ref only whistled one of them. Kepa also suffered a nasty scissors from Barnes, which was very predictable. Normally refs really protect the keeper in that situation, but not if it's a Chelsea keeper.

I also have no idea why Morata was booked.

• Like 2

kev61   
2 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yep, me too Kev. I think his absence may have helped to bring out the best in Willian today.

I agree pete - it also highlighted that we have decent players all round.I really enjoyed today's game - the only downside is my wife is in America so I had to get my own beers from the fridge! only joking I do my own ironing😁