• Current Donation Goals

chara   
2 hours ago, kev61 said:

I agree pete - it also highlighted that we have decent players all round.I really enjoyed today's game - the only downside is my wife is in America so I had to get my own beers from the fridge! only joking I do my own ironing😁

Hmm...my wife is off to UK on Wednesday and I can assure you absolutely no ironing will be done here! I'm retired and it is extremely hard here in Colorado to be underdressed in public (fashion wise as it were, not lack of clothing!) wonderful not to worry about preparing for the work day..on the other hand panic will set in about two days before her return and manic housework will be the focus!!

Oh and Burnley? again great result against a side I really dislike now and a manager who I dislike even seeing on a football sideline.

Difficult to watch the game on a live stream early in the morning here so basically watched a replay and found it so easy on the eye and enjoyable and in fairness to Joe Hart he basically kept Burnley alive with at least two world class saves..a very unfairly treated keeper by many.

30 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

DAMN - CAUGHT ME THERE.
Now I either have to praise Ham for being very very clever there, or admit I was an idiot.  Difficult choice.

I was an idiot.

This one:
379_0_1241182061.jpg

I have to say , I liked that kit too , nowadays you cannot imagine us having a red kit . 

Ham   
36 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

DAMN - CAUGHT ME THERE.
Now I either have to praise Ham for being very very clever there, or admit I was an idiot.  Difficult choice.

I was an idiot.

This one:
379_0_1241182061.jpg

😅👍

3 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Couldn't disagree. Except to add that a lot of my assessment of Barkley was based on having barely watched him. I suspect many here would say the same. What impresses me about him is the array of skills he's showing in a relatively short time - ball winning, poacher's anticipation, calmness in front of goal, long range shot like the one today which he placed beautifully with ease.

He could turn out a superb all round midfielder. I would like him to assert and impose himself a bit more both for club and country. But I can also understand the psychology of it; not trying to make yourself too big too early. 

In the few Everton games I’ve watched in the past, Barkley has generally showed capabilities of shooting and scoring from outside the box. Athletically, he’s a specimen and he is skilled in the ball. His biggest weakness was always his decision making with the ball at his feet. That was my main concern with regards to Barkley. However, I must admit that pretty much every game he’s played this season, I’ve noticed steady improvements from Barkley game on game. I was sold on Kovacic after his first appearance for us, but as of today I prefer Barkley due to his end product. His goals and assists from midfield are gradually beginning to rack up. When you play with 3 in the middle, at least one must produce offensively by way of goals and/ or assists. So far, Kovacic has fallen short in that department and arguably it’s cost us in some games. Kovacic has found himself in good scoring positions almost every game but hasn’t found the back of the net. That is a bit of a concern especially when our strikers are not dependable. 

• Like 1

Ham   
31 minutes ago, MikelBlue said:

In the few Everton games I’ve watched in the past, Barkley has generally showed capabilities of shooting and scoring from outside the box. Athletically, he’s a specimen and he is skilled in the ball. His biggest weakness was always his decision making with the ball at his feet. That was my main concern with regards to Barkley. However, I must admit that pretty much every game he’s played this season, I’ve noticed steady improvements from Barkley game on game. I was sold on Kovacic after his first appearance for us, but as of today I prefer Barkley due to his end product. His goals and assists from midfield are gradually beginning to rack up. When you play with 3 in the middle, at least one must produce offensively by way of goals and/ or assists. So far, Kovacic has fallen short in that department and arguably it’s cost us in some games. Kovacic has found himself in good scoring positions almost every game but hasn’t found the back of the net. That is a bit of a concern especially when our strikers are not dependable. 

Exactly my take on this season.  Barkley and RLC are presenting Sarri with a nice problem to have. 

I didn't see the match live as I was on a plane.

Just watching the highlights on MOTD and great goals and performance without Hazard.

Noting the crud referee as usual and typcial anti Chelsea gloating of the BBC.

So glad we stuffed tosspot Dyche and the Burnley mob I hope they are having a miserable evening.

1 hour ago, MikelBlue said:

When you play with 3 in the middle, at least one must produce offensively by way of goals and/ or assists. So far, Kovacic has fallen short in that department and arguably it’s cost us in some games. Kovacic has found himself in good scoring positions almost every game but hasn’t found the back of the net. That is a bit of a concern especially when our strikers are not dependable. 

Agreed.  In his first game or so, Kovacic looked like a guy with tricks who might easily play as a wide man instead of Pedro or Willian.  That rapidly disappeared though.  It is becoming clearer why he has only scored 13 career league goals in 204 appearances for Dinamo Zagreb (who trounce everyone in their league), Inter Milan, RM and a few with us.

10 hours ago, MikelBlue said:

Barkley has been a pleasant surprise in the last few games. At the start of the season I wondered what he really added as he is an attack minded centre midfielder who wasn't really doing much going forward. The last few games he has started he has begun to produce however it must be noted how poor he was when coming on against Liverpool in both games and United (despite the goal). Personally I would still prefer Cesc however currently Barkley has the shirt in these types of games and I wouldn't advocate dropping him in this form. I would still lean towards Kovacic against the top 6 as Barkley still needs to show he can be trusted against the tougher opponents. On balance he's proving  a valuable squad member. 

I've mentioned this a few times over the years, Willian seems to have his best games when playing centrally or from the left. He is great at running around the right hand side of a defender which means when he is on the right his only real option is to cross or turn back. Playing from the left the pitch opens up for him and he can shoot, switch play, and link with the midfield. With Alonso bombing on the outside he doesn't even need to be able to get to the byline where clearly he isn't doing much with his left foot. Stylistically Hazard and Willian play in similar areas preferring to drop deep and play the creator rather than finisher. This is why Pedro dovetails so well with them both as he does the opposite by stretching the play and getting on the end of things. For balance I think we always play better with Pedro out right although Willian has still been great coming from that side as well. I would like to see all three together but unfortunately I don't think our squad can support this. 

A step in the right direction for Morata who for the first time this season proved himself useful. Let's hope this wasn't just a flash in the pan as he does have some qualities that should work in this system. I won't hold my breath. It does seem a huge waste that we have two of the best headers of the ball in the league and have barely put a cross in the box all season. I feel for Giroud who has many qualities and a fantastic attitude but just doesn't really fit the system. 

Rudiger and Luiz imperious again and both having great seasons. They seem to work well together with complimentary attributes. Burnleys tactic of firing crosses into our box seemed short sighted with these two. Besides Hazard, Rudiger has been our best player this season. Brilliant signing and much criticised on arrival. At 25 he is only getting better and better. 

Pleased for RLC who has had a week you could only dream of. Shown himself as a viable option out wide which could open a few doors with Moses being discarded and CHO not trusted yet. He came on initially and pushed Willian to the right but after switching both seemed more comfortable. 

We have made a good start to the season though it must be said we haven't had the most difficult run up until now. Still we are ahead of my expectations considering the messy pre-season we had and we do seem to be improving. Two very winnable home fixtures next up before Spurs. 

Edited by samhoward17

paulw66   
10 hours ago, Gormangorman said:

Noting the crud referee as usual and typcial anti Chelsea gloating of the BBC.

The ref made one absolutely ridiculous decison when he booked Morata for being thrown tot he floor. Aside from that, he was good at clamping down on their cynical fouls with yellows handed out pretty swiftly. Thought he let one or two shoves on Kepa go unpunished, but purely for the way he handeld their fouling, I was pleased with the ref. 

paulw66   
19 hours ago, kev61 said:

Lovely ball by Barkley.

The finish pretty good too.

19 hours ago, Never happy said:

Brilliant from Barkley

Quite good from Morata too, even if you don't wish to admit it.

19 hours ago, Never happy said:

Morata back to normal, 2 more chances missed

One was a brilliant save to be fair. In fact, he was denied by two excellent Hart saves in the first half.

19 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yep. Normal service has been returned I'm afraid.

Give the guy a break. Played really well first half. 

19 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

But - Morata is doing the right things today.  Coming short and receiving, or spinning round and making runs.  Good runs.

Absolutely. 

19 hours ago, kev61 said:

In fairness to him, one chance was a superb octopus save by Hart.

Quite.

I completely understand the frustrations with Morata, but his first half display was excellent. Brilliant pass for the Willian shot that hit the post, great finish for the goal, and denied 2 more goals by excellent saves. It is shame that those who have made their mind are so relucant to offer a glimmer of praise when he does something right. The only blot on his copybook was the shanked chance, albeit a chance that came about from his own good work. He even created a PL record being the first player booked for being thrown to the floor.