• Current Donation Goals

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Spot on. There have been a lot of "I told you so" type posts after Sotuhampton and Burnley........ who are 2 abysmal teams. 

Yes, this is a big part of my issue with him. Maybe he is good enough if we are competing with Southampton and Burnley but is he good enough against our the best teams in the league or against Europe's elite ?

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

As with any player, I'll back them to the hilt and really hope this upwards trend continues.  

100%.

46 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Yes, this is a big part of my issue with him. Maybe he is good enough if we are competing with Southampton and Burnley but is he good enough against our the best teams in the league or against Europe's elite ?

Probably not but then there aren't many English players available that are, and certainly not available for £15m. And to be fair I don't think anyone is saying he is a world class player based on those tow games, or that he is world class at all. Even if he turns out to be a squad player who can contribute meaningfully in 20-30 games a season against lower level opposition I would still look at it as a decent deal given he was cheap and is home grown. Sounds like your issue should be more with the board for not buying a world class player in his position, rather than a player who appears to be giving 110% effort to make a success of his move to Chelsea.

chara   

Reflections on the game..the ball from Barkley for Morata's goal was absolutely sublime..watch it again... I remember pre game comments a few seasons ago before an Everton game and comments on here regarding the danger Berkely might threaten...I'm not a great fan but due credit to the guy coming off a bad injury and missing all last season pretty much, for getting himself into great shape and actually trying to prove himself..other players get a break from fans for being "rusty" after missing a few games he missed a season with no playing time or chance of game fitness.

The "only" (Burnley in this case) syndrome..in the EPL if any side goes into a game not fully prepared to contest at the highest level disaster awaits...look at recent "only" games for Chelsea. Regardless of reasons...B'mouth Burnley CPalace Watford to name a few recent ones "only" clubs that sat Chelsea on their collective team A...e!! All sides are made up of top pro's and be complacent at your peril so an away win at Burnley is not explained by "only" Hard work and application EARN a win.

Willian yellow... watch replay and he was caught as he swerved..not a huge contact but enough to push an off balance player over especially one like Willian. Being biased of course I didn't feel he was looking for the penalty and the ref was somewhat harsh.

Oh and the scouse accent of Mr Berkely....after one tackle if one is able he can be seen saying on the ground something like "What the fook (sorry)"  even lip reading the scouse comes out!!

Mr Sarri....the lack of theatrical drama surrounding the coaching staff (last week was an aberration and a media feeding frenzy) and the way Mr Sarri goes about his business is like a breath of fresh air and all the more welcomed after the last few years.

Onward ...

• Like 1

paulw66   
31 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Probably not but then there aren't many English players available that are, and certainly not available for £15m. And to be fair I don't think anyone is saying he is a world class player based on those tow games, or that he is world class at all. Even if he turns out to be a squad player who can contribute meaningfully in 20-30 games a season against lower level opposition I would still look at it as a decent deal given he was cheap and is home grown. Sounds like your issue should be more with the board for not buying a world class player in his position, rather than a player who appears to be giving 110% effort to make a success of his move to Chelsea.

If he plays like that against the bottom half teams, plus cup games, it will be an absolute bargain. 

The squad needs to be made up of 3 distinct groups:

1. Top class players who will play any meangingful game

2. Squad players who can do a job, play 20+ games as you described, but not the ones to be relied on when you play your biggest games

3. Fringe players. Either youngsters, or experienced players who will fill in when required and happy playing 5-10 games a season

8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

The ref made one absolutely ridiculous decison when he booked Morata for being thrown tot he floor. Aside from that, he was good at clamping down on their cynical fouls with yellows handed out pretty swiftly. Thought he let one or two shoves on Kepa go unpunished, but purely for the way he handeld their fouling, I was pleased with the ref. 

Yes.  The thing in past years that has really been against us is refs who permit rough play from the start without making an effort to stop it till late on, and refs who couldn't spot a deliberate change in aggression because a team needed a change of atmosphere.
Recently refs have been much more aware of "team" aggression, and that has helped us (removed unfairness) a great deal.
And yes Morata's booking was crazy, but if the balance is mostly right I am willing to accept the wrong decision.

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

The Barkely debate is an interesting one. 

Yeah.  Ever behind the underdog I'm voting for Barkley myself, but Barkely, Barkelli and even Barotelli are all good bets, even if Barclay's the banker according to many.

Ham   
41 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yeah.  Ever behind the underdog I'm voting for Barkley myself, but Barkely, Barkelli and even Barotelli are all good bets, even if Barclay's the banker according to many.

I saw what you did there.  Very good. 

What are your views on Kovacevic? 

Edited by Ham

52 minutes ago, Ham said:

I saw what you did there.  Very good. 

What are your views on Kovacevic? 

Kovacervix?

Dunno.  What puzzles me is what the carabao logo is all about.

Edited by Droy was my hero

xCELERYx   
9 hours ago, chara said:

Willian yellow... watch replay and he was caught as he swerved..not a huge contact but enough to push an off balance player over especially one like Willian. Being biased of course I didn't feel he was looking for the penalty and the ref was somewhat harsh

I thought Willian's yellow was fair imo. He went down looking for it and I know had that been a Burnley player trying to do that, I'd have wanted them booked for it as well. 

Morata's card on the other hand was 50/50. The fact he retaliated probably earns him the yellow, although could quite as easily not been given on another day. I think it was more about the ref wanting to keep control of the game and not risk anything over-spilling. 

paulw66   
8 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

I thought Willian's yellow was fair imo. He went down looking for it and I know had that been a Burnley player trying to do that, I'd have wanted them booked for it as well. 

Morata's card on the other hand was 50/50. The fact he retaliated probably earns him the yellow, although could quite as easily not been given on another day. I think it was more about the ref wanting to keep control of the game and not risk anything over-spilling. 

I realise you hate Morata, but what did he do?

He got tackled.

He got up.

He got thrown to the floor.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Really? He's only had 2 standout games, both in the last month. 

19 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Then those people would have been wrong. Regardless of what people want to believe up until now Barkley has been poor for us. He was very, very good on Sunday, by far and away his best game for us and if he continues to produce those types of performances over the course of an entire season and beyond then I will have been proven completely wrong. One good performance doesn't change anything though, it certainly doesn't eradicate the fundamental flaws he has. Something I don't think he will ever be able to change.

I made my point when we were first linked with him that I didn't think he was good enough for us, I'm haven't been negative about him for the sake of it and want him to succeed as much as anyone but I think people are getting carried away and forgetting his previous performances, not just for us but Everton too.

If he continues to improve then great but there is a long way to go for anyone on either side of the debate is proven right or wrong, which seems to be important to some. 

Disagree with both of you.

Personally, and this will be controversial, I think people have been blinded by their pre-conceptions of Barkley and base a lot on his weak start under Conte. It can certainly not be based on what he has produced so far this season. The critisism has been way OTT (actually degrading) and it is that critisism that makes you lot look incredibly silly now. 

He's been one of the biggest positives this season so far for me and he's been A LOT BETTER than some of you want to admit. He's certainly been a lot better and it stretches back longer than the last couple of weeks. He's doing the same work now as he did at the start of the season. That he is more efficienct with his actions on the pitch can hardly be surprising. When you are given trust and minutes on the pitch you generally improve. 

People claiming he isn't/wasn't good enough for us have clearly been wrong. Clearly.