• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

BATE Borisov 0 Chelsea 1

1 hour ago, chara said:

I read somewhere that Chelsea are a Champions League side playing in the "other" one. Maybe so but it makes you wonder why the "top" sides even bother with the competition...perhaps the group stages would be better with the "lesser" sides only and sides with pedigree (or what ever description you want) just come in for knockout stages.

Afraid that is exactly what happens.  I was wondering why the commentator said we were the big favourites for the Europa this season.  But the sides with pedigree will be the 8 3rd place teams out of the CL groups.  As soon as the bookies know who they are going to be, I guess we will no longer be favourites.

chara   
12 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Afraid that is exactly what happens.  I was wondering why the commentator said we were the big favourites for the Europa this season.  But the sides with pedigree will be the 8 3rd place teams out of the CL groups.  As soon as the bookies know who they are going to be, I guess we will no longer be favourites.

Of course you are right Droy..sorry forgot that little detail! I was just a bit wound up about just how poor all the teams in the Chelsea group are ,despite the apparent Chelsea ability to sink down to a level the opposition can almost cope with, it just seems so silly to waste so much energy and put strain on the travelling players for such meaningless games. The entertainment level is almost nil even RLC's hattrick needs to be seen in context.

5 minutes ago, chara said:

Of course you are right Droy..sorry forgot that little detail! I was just a bit wound up about just how poor all the teams in the Chelsea group are ,despite the apparent Chelsea ability to sink down to a level the opposition can almost cope with, it just seems so silly to waste so much energy and put strain on the travelling players for such meaningless games. The entertainment level is almost nil even RLC's hattrick needs to be seen in context.

Which is why the ticket prices for home games have been as low as £15 at times.

They want 48 teams at the WC is 2022 - and all done in 23 days in that heat.  Nightmare.  
It will remain the same while UEFA and FIFA run the shop because the back and beyond tiny island gets the same vote for President as a big country.
It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to a European Super league - take control off UEFA and give it to the TV companies.

xCELERYx   

What a mind-numbingly dull excuse of a game that was.

The slow and narrow football we played reminded me of something we'd have seen under Mourinho a few years back when we were lost for ideas in the final third. 

In the end lucky to walk away with the win, and somehow blessed once more by poor finishing and a bit of luck. 

Holymoly   
58 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

What a mind-numbingly dull excuse of a game that was.

The slow and narrow football we played reminded me of something we'd have seen under Mourinho a few years back when we were lost for ideas in the final third. 

In the end lucky to walk away with the win, and somehow blessed once more by poor finishing and a bit of luck. 

Only managed to see the "highlights" and have to agree. Man of the match has to go to our goal frame.

14 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

And what if we don't give him any good competitive playing time? How will we know what kind of player we have and how will we know whether it's worth giving him a new contract next year? I have a feeling that many teams in the prem would snap him up on a free.

I don't disagree. But your statement and my statement are both valid views and just proves why it's so tricky to manage players like him in to the first team. 

paulw66   
8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes, at the start of the tournement, we would be favourites becasue of the unknown dropouts from the CL, which will include one of Napoli, PSG and Liverpool, and probably Spurs to name a couple. I hate the rule that CL drop outs join the Europa, it really spoils the hope for the also rans of Europe.

Edit - the reason, as someone asked, why big teams bother, is the winners get a CL spot. Excactly what JM went for at United 2 seasons ago. 

Edited by paulw66

paulw66   

By the way, did anyone else notice how incompetent the referee was?

Hazard got fouled about 4 times badly by the same bloke (think number 15) and he simply refused to book him, and on a couple of other occasions, didn't even give a foul. 

Sciatika   

Probably a homer. Lots of those in the Prem.

Worse performance of the season by far. Only positive is Kovacic not starting so going on previous games it means he's almost certain to start against Everton.

Still, 16 games unbeaten, only team in Europe that remains so.