• Current Donation Goals

5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Yep. And imagine what a top notch striker would do for us................:).  Cavani, anyone?

Hope not , he's another one who needs eight chances to get one goal.

Not sure where I sit in terms of optimism and negativity ... I think we played well enough and it is a 'one of those days' result and that generally the football and results have been better this season than I expected, but also think we are in a real battle for CL qualification, despite being unbeaten. Points dropped late against Liverpool and against a United side virtually anyone else would have rolled over that weekend, and then again here. Other teams might have lost games, but I think most of those around us have played fewer bankers and more of their difficult away games. We are, imo, in something of a false position. 

I think it is fair to be critical of how Sarri plays. Criticism should be about an appraisal of the pros and cons of any approach, and primarily about how effective it is. Defensive, deep-block counter-attacking is fine if it works. Conte's issue was that it did not. Possession and direct attacking is bad if it doesn't work. Sarri is finding it doesn't always. I think the Everton game tells us little about the flaws in Sarri's approach that you couldn't identify on a whiteboard. We do not get enough people in the box, and especially do not get enough people running towards posts when we are attacking. We are too narrow too often, but that is difficult to resolve. Personally I have seen enough to think Sarri has made tweaks (there's less faffing about with Jorginho in the middle of the pitch now than there was in September) and isn't pathologically tied to one approach.

8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Yep. And imagine what a top notch striker would do for us................:).  Cavani, anyone?

Cavani and Aguerro... two strikers we were regularly linked with at their previous clubs. Whatever happened to them? 😉

chara   
6 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Cavani and Aguerro... two strikers we were regularly linked with at their previous clubs. Whatever happened to them? 😉

Sank without a trace!

Missed the bullets there thank goodness.

23 hours ago, kev61 said:

Man city  had a 'blow to the solar plexus' against Wolves Nobly the Everton result was disappointing but not a trend imo.We are nailed on top four imo whilst playing good football - Sarri is not even half a season through his first season so don't panic captain mainwaring.

A good striker could transform us onto another level.

Indeed City did take one in the stomach but they are a bit more ripped than us. And anyway this is the very point I was making....a belly blow is not terminal but obviously you don't want too many of them in a season. When was City's last bad league result and when will be the next?

Panic? Not me sir, but a reality check I hope is permissible. We have been top, we are now third and if we lose the next game will be fourth. unbeaten is totally irrelevant and imo a red herring. What I believe can happen if we don't sort some issues out urgently is that we might struggle to keep 4th. I don't have your confidence that 4th is nailed on sadly.   I remember around the same time last season I was making the exact same prediction. We got Giroux but it wasn't enough.  I was often told I was being negative then (as I am now). 

No question a good striker will transform us, but they don't grow on trees especially in the Jan window. Why exactly did this club not make it a priority in the summer? Poor planning and poor decision making.... have they now learnt their lesson? I'm waiting expectantly.  

17 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

A goal every 8 chances!!! Snap him up 😆

kev61   
23 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Indeed City did take one in the stomach but they are a bit more ripped than us. And anyway this is the very point I was making....a belly blow is not terminal but obviously you don't want too many of them in a season. When was City's last bad league result and when will be the next?

Panic? Not me sir, but a reality check I hope is permissible. We have been top, we are now third and if we lose the next game will be fourth. unbeaten is totally irrelevant and imo a red herring. What I believe can happen if we don't sort some issues out urgently is that we might struggle to keep 4th. I don't have your confidence that 4th is nailed on sadly.   I remember around the same time last season I was making the exact same prediction. We got Giroux but it wasn't enough.  I was often told I was being negative then (as I am now). 

No question a good striker will transform us, but they don't grow on trees especially in the Jan window. Why exactly did this club not make it a priority in the summer? Poor planning and poor decision making.... have they now learnt their lesson? I'm waiting expectantly.  

I really don't think manu or spurs will finish above us,man city are clear favourites for the title Arsenal will fall away and Liverpool are as consistent as us at the moment.So Man City to win the league and Liverpool and us vying for second and third.

A decent striker and we could challenge City.

37 minutes ago, kev61 said:

We are 5 decent players and most of a bench short of where City are.  There is no way we will challenge City this year.  Nor will any other PL club.

But I agree a decent striker should make us best of the chasing pack.  Pity the other two, Liverpool and Spurs, look like being free from CL worries soon.

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, kev61 said:

I really don't think manu or spurs will finish above us,man city are clear favourites for the title Arsenal will fall away and Liverpool are as consistent as us at the moment.So Man City to win the league and Liverpool and us vying for second and third.

Maybe, but we've also got a tough second half of the season after Christmas. With our defensive shortcomings and dull execution in the final third, there's certainly a possibility the wheels fall off the wagon - if not loosen and produce a wobble. It's not as if they've been solid as it is already, we've certainly ridden our luck more than I can ever recall before.

There's only 8 points between us and 6th/7th/8th place currently, with Tottenham and Arsenal only 1 and 2 points behind us respectively in 4th and 5th places. I think dropping to 6th is possible in a worst case situation, while 3rd being the best case. A lot of it may also depend on what Sarri does in the Europa League and FA Cup, and if he does a Napoli and looks to sacrifice them to aid PL performances. 

On 11/14/2018 at 5:56 PM, Mark Kelly said:

So, the ones we have aren't any good, and the one's we might buy aren't any good, so where do we go then Mark?  Stuffed, aren't we? If, that is, we believe your take on things,, which is always super negative.