• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Tottenham Hotspur 3 Chelsea 1

paulw66   
7 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

t because some people deemed 3rd place satisfactory. 

If I offered you 3rd place now, would you take it? 

20 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Is it?

I thought most sensible people would have considered 3rd / 4th as the chief, sensible target for the season. To be in 4th 1/3 of the way through would suggest we are on target for that.

7 points behing City after 13 games, means 20 behind at the end on a pro rata basis. As City look to be on course for 102 points pro rata, that means we are looking at 82. Would be an excellent total and will probably guarantee 3rd.  

Maybe you also did not read my post properly? 

I stated - with the start we've had... To only find ourselves fourth with a much better start than expected... Yes, that is an uncomfortable reality check. With the start we've had, we should be finding ourselves is a safe top two placing. 

paulw66   
Just now, The_Ghost said:

Maybe you also did not read my post properly? 

I stated - with the start we've had... To only find ourselves fourth with a much better start than expected... Yes, that is an uncomfortable reality check. With the start we've had, we should be finding ourselves is a safe top two placing. 

But why? Aside from when we play them, we can't control how many points Liverpool or City get. The reason we are not comfortably anywhere, is that for the first team in PL history, 3 teams have gone 12 games unbeaten at the start of the season. Spurs have got their highest return from 12 games in any PL season. 

Competition at the top is fierce. That doesn't mean we are doing anything wrong. 

46 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

But why? Aside from when we play them, we can't control how many points Liverpool or City get. The reason we are not comfortably anywhere, is that for the first team in PL history, 3 teams have gone 12 games unbeaten at the start of the season. Spurs have got their highest return from 12 games in any PL season. 

Competition at the top is fierce. That doesn't mean we are doing anything wrong. 

This.

The battle for top 4 has probably never been as competitive as it currently is, so to be in the mix is pretty decent going considering all the changes we've made this season. Regardless of howe we've started, for me the target is still top 4 and back in the Champions League. I don't see that as pessimistic, I see that as realistic when you look at the quality of teams we're up against and the form they are in.

45 minutes ago, CFCnet Admin said:

Watch the match highlights and goals in CFCnet's throwback to Spurs 1-2 Chelsea last season at Wembley - ahead of the big London clash this Saturday: https://www.CFCnet.co.uk/match-highlights-spurs-1-2-chelsea-throwback-win/

Great post - thanks.

Short clip of last years game - the season in microcosm.  Morata misses a sitter.  Alonso hits a wonder free-kick.  Baka gives away a stupid free kick on edge of box and Bats glances it in for an equalising og late on.  And then Alonso bails (Bales?) us out with a cracking goal at the end.

11 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Precisely. Some would argue we have over-achieved so far and to only find ourselves fourth after such a good start would be worrying - or as I stated 'an uncomfortable reality check'. 

But maybe I'm just the pessimistic type. I'm over the moon with the start we've had under a new manager and completely new system. But I'm worrying about us making top four. 

On 20/11/2018 at 5:24 AM, My Blood Is Blue said:

This.

The battle for top 4 has probably never been as competitive as it currently is, so to be in the mix is pretty decent going considering all the changes we've made this season. Regardless of howe we've started, for me the target is still top 4 and back in the Champions League. I don't see that as pessimistic, I see that as realistic when you look at the quality of teams we're up against and the form they are in.

Yep, agree completely. Why overburden yourself by setting expectations that lie somewhere between very demanding and unrealistic? As Blood says, if we regain our CL spot that will be a good season’s work in Sarri’s first season, whatever the start we had.

If we lose against Spurs and there’s a cacophony of dissatisfaction unleashed on here then, while I will also be very disappointed to have lost to them, I nevertheless believe that a proper sense of perspective needs to be maintained.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

If we lose against Spurs and there’s a cacophony of dissatisfaction unleashed on here then, while I will also be very disappointed to have lost to them, I nevertheless believe that a proper sense of perspective needs to be maintained.

Should we loose to the spuds. The sense of perspective should be on the team selection and how they match up to their alternate in spuds starting eleven.