• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Tottenham Hotspur 3 Chelsea 1

6 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

And you shouldn't agree especially when no one has ever said that. "We might struggle to get top 4" was the phrase I used. 

You say you have faith in the club which is something we all aspire too. But blind faith doesn't get you top 4. You need a good coach, a good system, a decent squad with cover in all areas. Either that or you just get very very lucky.

I think we are all on the same page, blind faith has never won trophies. Its just too soon to write us off. 2nd is really the best any team can hope for for a while. That is still possible but if we dont buy a couple of Sarri players in Jan I will be disappointed and promise to reassess my 'faith'

Luck and perhaps some suitable bribes will help! How is it the trickery of some of our players never earns us penalties?

1 minute ago, exiledblue said:

I think we are all on the same page, blind faith has never won trophies. Its just too soon to write us off. 2nd is really the best any team can hope for for a while. That is still possible but if we dont buy a couple of Sarri players in Jan I will be disappointed and promise to reassess my 'faith'

Luck and perhaps some suitable bribes will help! How is it the trickery of some of our players never earns us penalties?

Nobody is writing anybody off but I'm not going to tickle anybody's tummy and say it will all be ok in the end because it might not, especially if we keep taking our foot off the gas.

My opinion is that the unbeaten run has given us a false sense of where we are as a team and I might include Sarri in that misguided place. Others ( maybe yourself) thought we fully deserved our unbeaten run and our elevated position. I and a few others thought we had been a bit lucky . It was just an opinion but now after three bad games it looks like we are settling in to where we should be....about 4th. 

Being in the EL could be really awkward later on particularly if we are in a dog fight for 4th place and are in the quarters or semis of the EL. Which do we aim at?  we could end up missing both targets. I would like us ideally, to be in a comfortable 2nd or 3rd place so we can let some of our lesser players fight for the EL. 

If we don't get in the CL next year that is the end of Hazard, probably the end of Sarriball, we will be the third best team in London and yet again be playing games in the arse end of the world on Thursday nights. 

This coach, these players, this club need to bloody well focus because that could well be a cold hard reality sooner than you think.

Tickle your own tummies if you must. 

Beating Fulham is not a given as they have a new manager and come into form .

Wolves away is going to almost certainly be a loss and the less said about what City will do to us the better!

Sarri is a long-term project. He is the man Roman believes will deliver the great football he craves, and he's backed him last summer, and will continue to back him.

Sarriball takes a year at least to impliment. When you've been playing boring defensive football for 5 years, you need to unlearn old insticts and habits, and learn new ones, which takes time. Meaning we can't play this system at pace yet. Pep struggled in his first year as his players adapted too. Sarri at Napoli took time to impliment his ideas - but when he did, they were very effective.

Chelsea won't sack Sarri even if we don't make top four next year. Personally I believe we will make top four easily. Sarri actually said himself he knew of the issues which lost us the game a couple of weeks ago, and has bene working on them with the players - so this is no surprise to him, nor was it to me. We'll improve as the season goes on, I think we'll strengthen in January too, and we'll be fine.

Hazard will stay if Madrid don't bid for him. He doesn't want PSG and I doubt he'll go to Barca. He's not even on the top four of Madrid's stated shortlist and Perez wants Asensio in that position so it's actually quite unlikely. He also is settled in London with his family and loves Chelsea by his own admission.

But I still stick to my pre-season prediction - I think we'll finish top four and win the Europa league. I knew this season was never a title season, this season is Sarri assessing the squad, implimenting Sarriball, much like Pep's first season. Next season, with Sarriball implimented and a stronger squad, we'll be genuine title challengers.

The defending was the block defending, as Sarri said. If Alonso or Kovacic had defended on the left side better, for example, Jorginho wouldn't have been dragged wide to defend against Son, could have stayed central and close the space on him with Luiz to avoid the second goal.

IMO we'll add 5 more players before next season starts - a RW, ST, RB, CB and a backup for Jorginho. Cahill, Fabregas, Giroud or Morata, Moses, Michy, Zappacosta and Drinkwater will all be sold or leave at the end of their contract. Mount will come back to replace Kovacic IMO.

This is a long-term project and the club know this, it's how it was sold to Sarri from the stories I've heard. Chelsea knew this wasn't a title winning season - especially with City so strong and Spurs and Liverpool ahead in terms of their tactical development and football. Next year will be very different. I think we'll finish third or fourth, and win the Europa League. Next season we can push for the title.

32 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Sarri is a long-term project. He is the man Roman believes will deliver the great football he craves, and he's backed him last summer, and will continue to back him.

Sarriball takes a year at least to impliment. When you've been playing boring defensive football for 5 years, you need to unlearn old insticts and habits, and learn new ones, which takes time. Meaning we can't play this system at pace yet. Pep struggled in his first year as his players adapted too. Sarri at Napoli took time to impliment his ideas - but when he did, they were very effective.

Chelsea won't sack SarrI even if we don't make top four next year. Personally I believe we will make top four easily. Sarri actually said himself he knew of the issues which lost us the game a couple of weeks ago, and has bene working on them with the players - so this is no surprise to him, nor was it to me. We'll improve as the season goes on, I think we'll strengthen in January too, and we'll be fine.

Hazard will stay if Madrid don't bid for him. He doesn't want PSG and I doubt he'll go to Barca. He's not even on the top four of Madrid's stated shortlist and Perez wants Asensio in that position so it's actually quite unlikely. He also is settled in London with his family and loves Chelsea by his own admission.

But I still stick to my pre-season prediction - I think we'll finish top four and win the Europa league. I knew this season was never a title season, this season is Sarri assessing the squad, implimenting Sarriball, much like Pep's first season. Next season, with Sarriball implimented and a stronger squad, we'll be genuine title challengers.

The defending was the block defending, as Sarri said. If Alonso or Kovacic had defended on the left side better, for example, Jorginho wouldn't have been dragged wide to defend against Son, could have stayed central and close the space on him with Luiz to avoid the second goal.

IMO we'll add 5 more players before next season starts - a RW, ST, RB, CB and a backup for Jorginho. Cahill, Fabregas, Giroud or Morata, Moses, Michy, Zappacosta and Drinkwater will all be sold or leave at the end of their contract. Mount will come back to replace Kovacic IMO.

This is a long-term project and the club know this, it's how it was sold to Sarri from the stories I've heard. Chelsea knew this wasn't a title winning season - especially with City so strong and Spurs and Liverpool ahead in terms of their tactical development and football. Next year will be very different. I think we'll finish third or fourth, and win the Europa League. Next season we can push for the title.

famous last words with this board

58 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

He is the man Roman believes will deliver the great football he craves,

Well I believe you're putting the cart before the horse. Neither Mourinho or Conte were known for sexy football yet Roman hired them both (one of them twice). The first thing IMO Roman wants right now is CL football. I say this for the following reasons. He needs to make this club pay for itself and be self sufficient (note our obsession with FFP rules which everyone else breaks). This been his mantra of recent years. CL football is vital for it's huge income and our status as a top club (new stadium etc)and ability to attract and keep top players.  Any manager that can't deliver that will be gone, sexy football or no sexy football. 

So Roman priority number one....CL football and re establish ourselves back at  the top table . Priority number two...do it playing good football.  What your priorities and mine are is irrelevant tbh.

JaneB   

Who knows what is going to happen?  Only good things hopefully.  But losing 3 1 to Saint Spurs was so nauseating that it's easy to overreact.  The humiliation is p...s

3 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Who knows what is going to happen?  Only good things hopefully.  But losing 3 1 to Saint Spurs was so nauseating that it's easy to overreact.  The humiliation is p...s

Indeed, when Spuds beat us 3-1 at the Brige earlier this year I had a second stroke to follow the first one after the Watford game.

JaneB   
14 minutes ago, Gormangorman said:

Indeed, when Spuds beat us 3-1 at the Brige earlier this year I had a second stroke to follow the first one after the Watford game.

Well I'm sure you didn't 😏

I know I'll be accused of being po faced but if you really had you wouldn't be joking about it 😔

3 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Well I'm sure you didn't 😏

I know I'll be accused of being po faced but if you really had you wouldn't be joking about it 😔

No true story, three strokes and the doctors put them down to dates when Chelsea played sh\t and lost.

I'm perfectly OK now which is why I can joke about it.