In Conte's second season we bought:

Zappacosta £25m

Drinkwater £35m

Bakayoko £40m

Morata £60m

Emerson £30m

Giroud £18m

Rudiger £33m

Still, some claim the manager wasn't backed. Only one of the above is a reliable first team player 

Those players aren't really evidence that our board has any clue about buying players for a managers needs.

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm sure Conte would say he didn't want any of those players though Paul , other than Bakayoko who he's admitted to.

Purely subjective. He worked with Morata at Juve, whilst Rudiger, Emerson, Zappacosta all came from Serie A, which seems somewhat coincidental with us having an Italian coach. 

I guess we'll never know

xCELERYx   
3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Purely subjective. He worked with Morata at Juve, whilst Rudiger, Emerson, Zappacosta all came from Serie A, which seems somewhat coincidental with us having an Italian coach. 

I guess we'll never know

Conte had left when Morata was signed, they never worked together at Juve. 

2 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Twitter fans...man.

After every defeat its:

- Our squad is a mid table squad plus Hazard

- Willian is the worst player to ever play for Chelsea

- Morata is the worst striker to ever play for Chelsea

None of which I agree with.

Bottom line - Alonso is absolutely awful. He is the biggest problem we have defensively now Cahill isn't starting. Mahrez or whoever City play at RW is going to have a field day on Saturday. He always leaves the LCB exposed because he fails to press, can't defend and is too slow to get back.

Alonso needs to be sold, and we need to hope Madrid still want him. Emerson has looked better every time he's played, never caught out of position and his crosses are better. Alonso's crossing success is 8% - and that's simply not good enough.

Apart from that, we can probably improve the RW and ST positions, but we knew that in the summer. I think the club know what we need, we just can't do it all in one summer. This is a long-term project with Sarri and always has been. Fans aren't used to it, so our twitter fanbase has become arguably the most reactive in world football. Add 3-4 new players to this squad, ditch the ones who aren't good enough, give Sarri time to impliment his style and philospophy and we'll see the fruits. This is similar to Pep's first season, both in terms of implimenting a style and assessing the squad. Sarri got it dead on last night about our mentality - we've had a frail mentality for a few years now. We controlled the game fine until they scored, then mentally and organisationally went to pieces.

We missed Luiz's on pitch leadership without a doubt. Christenen failed his audition. And now finally people can see Luiz was never the problem, it's the excuse for a LB. Ruben played well, and gives us goals from midfield. I'd start him on Saturday but Kovacic will likely start.

We'll finish top 4 and win the Europa league. In Feb/March time things will start to click and we'll put a run together. I think Sarri is building something, but he himself said he would lose a few games doing it. Gotta trust the process.

Well said James!

Poor performance last night, I think Sarri took a bit of a gamble with that starting line up to be honest. Pedro was our best creative player V Fulham but his creativity is much needed V city so he gave Willian a go which sadly backfired. People have been yelling for Luis to take a break and give Christienssen a go but last night hardly made a case for that. Fabregas is a good player but can't control the midfield when the opposition breaks we are introuble down the flanks as neither full back is jet quick (both contracts extended recently by the way) and Hazard is still in one of his dips. Morata/ Giroud no great difference really our danger players sit just behind them and don't create enough chances for either to be the sole cause of our issues. 

I expected some blips this season for Sarri and his preferred way of playing with this personnel. He is now the third manager to encounter the lack of intensity at the heart of last nights defeat. Hopefully he finds a solution fairly quickly.

7 minutes ago, fillerywhereru said:

He is now the third manager to encounter the lack of intensity at the heart of last nights defeat. 

Exactly . 

There is a malaise at the heart of this side . They just don't like hard work.

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Exactly . 

Yes, we were even gifted a lucky lead, if they had upped it at that point and grabbed a second the game was won. Instead they padded about with aimless non dangerous possession until wolves scored two.

50 minutes ago, Phoenix Blue said:

Well said James!

Totally agree re Luiz, the problem lie further up the field with a lack of creativity for two strikers who rely on it and a star player who is hiding yet again...

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Short memory.

Chelsea 0 Bournemouth 3

Watford 4 Chelsea 1

Newcastle 3 Chelsea 0

Just off the top of my head. 

Shorter memory 

PL

17/18  Played 15 Points 32 , w 10, D 2, L3

beat the spuds away, drew with bin dippers away, beat manure home, drew with the Arse home, lost to chity home 8/15pts

18/19 Played 15, points 31, w09, d4, L2

beat Arse home, drew with Manure & bin dippers at home, lost to spuds away. 5/12pts

Its a funny old game. 

17 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Exactly . 

What do you expect when you have a squad of powder puff players who the coach is in awe of.