• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Manchester City 0

Kante is not a holding midfielder , he's what I call a " dogger" he hunts the ball down , intercepts, breaks up play . The issue is to play " Sarriball" you need a quarterback type player which we have in Jorginho , this is not helping us when his lack of pace is exposed and we have no dedicated holding player beside him.

Conte has had an awful lot of clog on here and he brought a  lot of it on himself by cutting his nose of to spite his face last season , but what he spotted still holds true,

To get the best out of our defence we need three central defenders with the wing backs not relied upon to defend as much .

If Sarri had any sense he's play 

3 -5 -2 

You can still ping the ball around , Jorginho can still be a quarter back  , Kante can still hunt down the ball , if you play Kovacic behind them to screen the defence.

You can than have Hazard and Morata or Willian or Pedro up front depending on the opposition . You could even switch Azpi back to centre half and play Zappa as wing back.

Unfortunately what you gain at the back you lose at the front .

Azpi and Alonso are never going to match the full backs that the likes of City have , they don't have the raw pace to do it and hilariously they've both been given contract extensions.

25 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Azpi and Alonso are never going to match the full backs that the likes of City have , they don't have the raw pace to do it and hilariously they've both been given contract extensions.

Probably Teachers Pets?

paulw66   
11 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Probably Teachers Pets?

Yeah, neither of them got a kick before Sarri pitched up

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yeah, neither of them got a kick before Sarri pitched up

They didn’t until the previous coach change it to 3 at the back with WB which suits their style of football. 

paulw66   
7 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

They didn’t until the previous coach change it to 3 at the back with WB which suits their style of football. 

I am not sure if you are a parady account, but in case you're not, Azpilicueta played 181 times for Chelsea pre Conte. 

Alonso didn't get a kick pre Conte, because he wasn't here. 

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't 'want' to do anything of the sort. Kante's 'best attributes' don't count for much when he's being played  as he has been recently.  Playing in his best position, then he's a nailed-on starter.

Kante was excellent in his more attacking role against Fulham.  haven't watched the Wolves game, but it isn't as though he can't do that.  Nor is it that against City we will have a lot of attacking to do.
If anything what we need is someone in midfield who can suddenly break out and be the front man Ramires style.  That can only be kante.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Kante is not a holding midfielder , he's what I call a " dogger" he hunts the ball down , intercepts, breaks up play . The issue is to play " Sarriball" you need a quarterback type player which we have in Jorginho , this is not helping us when his lack of pace is exposed and we have no dedicated holding player beside him.

Quite.  More Essien than Colliemore though.  

I'm not so sure the Jorgy issue is his pace and defending. Rather that the oppos have seen through the system.  Weaker teams like WHU have just not bothered pressing against Sarri pinball, so haven't been caught short at the back.  Stronger teams, like Spurs, have pressed harder and actually done us harm by winning the ball so high up and having the talent to convert that into goals.  City will certainly try it the Spurs way.

Jasonb   
8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm not so sure the Jorgy issue is his pace and defending. Rather that the oppos have seen through the system.  Weaker teams like WHU have just not bothered pressing against Sarri pinball, so haven't been caught short at the back.  Stronger teams, like Spurs, have pressed harder and actually done us harm by winning the ball so high up and having the talent to convert that into goals.  City will certainly try it the Spurs way.

I agree with that, I thought initially with Luiz there might be an outlet yet good teams also cut that out.

My thinking is if they are pressing so intently then they are short somewhere else and you need the ability to take advantage of that. We fail to do that or Sarri might be discouraging it and thus remain predictable.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

You're going to tell me that is the holding midfielder, despite him always having played with a defensive midfielder, not as the defensive midfielder, ever since he landed in England. 

You're going to tell us he is playing exactly the same role as he has for the previous 2 years.

paulw66   
Just now, McCreadie said:

You're going to tell us he is playing exactly the same role as he has for the previous 2 years.

It's not hugely different. Where there was Matic or Bakayoko, there is now Jorginho.

The main difference is that we are playing possession football, rather than counter-attacking.

Kante's biggest strengths are all when the opposition has the ball. We now have the ball for a much bigger chunk than we did previously or than what Leicester did. Stick Kante in front of the back 4 wont make him any better on the ball. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I am not sure if you are a parady account, but in case you're not, Azpilicueta played 181 times for Chelsea pre Conte. 

Alonso didn't get a kick pre Conte, because he wasn't here. 

Correct about azpilicueta

mind was drifting, I was referring to Alonso & Luiz who has not got a new contract yet, however the coach would like him to be given a new one