• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Manchester City 0

5 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

ONE STEP BEYOUUUUUUNNNNDDDD!!!

Some of you have been made to look like right mugs after that.

Just got back home and haven't seen game yet but bloody delighted...I will address this type of comment above though. I think even you Martin  had had enough after the Wolves game. What was the phrase you used to describe the team...a bunch of .......... fairies? And you weren't alone in that opinion amongst the optimists. But actually you and no one else needs to feel like a mug. 

My feeling before this game and the Wolves game was a bit of relief that at least Sarri was changing something....whether that be personnel staff  or tactics, it didn't matter...He could see something was wrong. At Wolves he at last gave RLC a start and he did well . Fabragas also did ok . Christenson didn't do well but at least that may have given Luiz a kick up the pants. 

The major event in this game was leaving Morata out of the squad....at last. It's taken too long imo but pleased it's happened.  If we had played City with  effectively 10 men the cricket score may have come true. I also hear  Kante played deeper and was more of a partner for Jorginho. If true, then another significant development.  RLC apparently did well as a sub in a front 3 so I feel he's edging nearer towards the first team. And Luiz is a weapon of mass destruction when on top of his game.

But most importantly let's not get carried away. The next game could easily be a bad result or a 5 nil win. The mist hasn't suddenly cleared. But What we do have is a little bit of hope that Sarri is on the case and prepared to make difficult decisions. That's all anyone should ever want from a coach but for a while it seemed too much to ask.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

A big thank you to the utter bell end who called Sterling a revolting racist name so that the big news tomorrow is about racism at Chelsea and not how we beat City .

I hope the club finds you and bans you forever.

It will certainly get more column inches than the vile racist abuse given to the same player from numerous Liverpool supporters when he moved to City. 

I didn’t see that result coming. Thought we rode our luck first half but we defended well and took our chance. Not so much Sarri-ball, but a throwback display to our CL games against Barca. 

Defending deep seemed to play to our strengths. We didn’t get caught high up the pitch and there was little space behind our fullbacks. Azpi, Luiz and Rudiger were superb. While Kante and Pedro had their best games in a while. Hazard was much more influential second half and Barkley had a useful cameo. Kepa gave me a couple of heart-stopping moments with his distribution. Sometimes I wish he’d just boot it up the pitch.  

Tactics worked fine today and we scored at the right times. Not sure we can play like that against teams who won’t attack and press like City did. And the striker problem needs addressing at some point. But at least we have a plan B now.

Still, a massive win for the club and Sarri in particular. Hopefully that gives us a big shot of confidence for the rest of the season. 

And we got the win. Thats all that matters IMO. It doesnt matter to me one bit that we basically reverted to a defensive style. At the end of the day, we need to prioritize top 4 - not tippy tappy football. 

Alonso and Azpili were safe sitting a bit deeper, Pedro did excellent defensive work, Jorginho handled himself well, and Hazard is definitely not a long term solution there but credit to Sarri for showing some tactical flexibility. 

Really happy. We are in a huge scrap with Tottenham and Arsenal and we really do need to be smarter with how we do things.

• Like 1

xCELERYx   

It's interesting to know that we apparently had 20 more passes and 0.7% more possession in this game in comparison to the 0-1 loss we had under Conte last season. One manager is being lauded, the other heavily berated and criticised.

This wasn't some tactical masterclass on Sarri's behalf or turning of a corner. We rode our luck defensively as we've done frequently throughout the season so far, when we did manage to obtain possession we were sloppy and careless with the ball, while particularly in the first half we did nothing more than chase shadows around the pitch. The other key aspect to keep in mind is that Man City were without arguably their two best attacking players in Aguero and KdB. What it did show was that when we play without the ball and in a way that resembled something between what we'd see from Conte and Mourinho, the players looked more at home with their roles. Azpilicueta had arguably his best game of the season - even David Luiz showed more maturity and leadership putting in a commanding performance himself. The most defining part though was that we took advantage of the limited chances we did create. 

This result will mean nothing through if we drop points in our next league fixture vs Brighton. So it's going to be important that Sarri makes the most of this victory moving forward. While it shouldn't be used to mask our problems that still remain either. We were still poor for large periods of the game overall - Jorginho in particular was very poor. Alonso didn't look great once again either and Willian still remains a liability in the final third. Maybe this gives Sarri something to think about in terms of his system moving forward, we'll wait and see.

For now though, I'll enjoy the excellent (and unexpected) result.

Edited by xCELERYx
Spelling.
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

It will certainly get more column inches than the vile racist abuse given to the same player from numerous Liverpool supporters when he moved to City. 

Doesn’t make it right though does it? Hope he gets a life ban if proved guilty.

Edited by kennypaul

The blueprint for yesterday was the home game against Barca last season. Playing Hazard centrally allows you to use both Willian and Pedro wide who are without question the most effective pressers of the ball we have. Stones and Laporte had plenty of the ball but with those two blocking the channels and Kante and Kovacic covering the inside central areas we limited City to very little.

This should be the system for big games going forward and you can even play those three with Giroud ahead against lesser sides. Kovacic has been brilliant in a handful of games this season, immediately this and the Liverpool game spring to mind. Against lesser sides he is not needed as an 8 so either play Cesc or drop the extra midfielder and play 4231. I think he has done enough to be a worthwhile permanent signing and he is ideal back up to the other two CM positions as well. 

The first half wasn't the best performance with the ball but we did keep our shape and even when City did have openings our defenders were throwing their bodies in front of the ball in a way Chelsea players always do best when we put in a big performance. We know Luiz can do this as represented by playing on one leg in Munich but to see Azpi back to form and Rudiger evolving into a top class centre back has given much promise for the future. With JT gone and Cahill on his way out we need these guys to carry this spirit on. We got bullied at Wembley but yesterday we stood up and showed our metal. Over the last few seasons we have lost many huge leaders but more importantly in JT, Ivan and Costa we have lost a few hard bastards. I would be looking to add one or two to the squad. Centre forward would be a start. 

The goal just before half time was reminiscent of the 2012 Drogba goal vs Barca in the way we brilliantly avoided their attempts to stop all counters and took the chance when it came. It seemed to energise the team and second half we came out on the front foot and played significantly better. We stopped giving the ball away, started threatening their goal and stopped them creating anything. 

Kepa: 7 - A couple of good interventions but also nearly gave them a needless goal at the end. Has made some great saves this season but also let in a few bad ones. I still need some convincing if he is the long term answer but there is talent there. Still relatively young for  a goalkeeper and in a new league. 

Azpi: 9 - Back to his best and a brilliant performance. The last few weeks he's been back to his old self, all over the wingers like a rash and always touch tight. Saw off Sane who has been on fire recently and then completely nullified the form player in the league when Sterling switched across. 

Rudiger: 8 - Arguably our best player this season. Can't think of a mistake he's made. Has a superb long ball in his locker and adds bite to a team that needs it. 

Luiz: 9 - MOTM. Colossus performance. Fantastic on the ball and won countless headers and a couple of brilliant moments staying on his feet when Sane was in our 6 yard box. He's been due a goal but unlike the last beast header that hit the woodwork vs United this one got his name on scoresheet. 

Alonso: 5 - Poor first half and given real trouble by Sterling. This was less costly given the cover provided by Kova and Willian. Going through a bad patch which can happen to anyone. Might be worth giving him a rest in one or two games in the busy schedule. 

Jorginho: 6 - Quiet and gave the ball away in a terrible area in the first half. Struggled since teams have started to man mark him however when Luiz is in form this doesn't matter and he will soon get more space or Luiz will just dictate from deeper. Play Cesc alongside him and someone, somewhere is going to be the free man with the ability to hurt teams. 

Kante: 9 - Brilliant game and vital to both attack and defence. His ability to win the ball back but then also get into the 6 yard box unmarked should not be underestimated. 

Kovacic: 8 - Very good performance. And illustrated exactly why he should be starting these games.

Willian: 7 - Pressed relentlessly and gave cover to Alonso that Hazard does not. Surprised when he cut in from the left with space he didn't bury it like he usually does from that angle. Always prefer him left or central. 

Pedro: 8 - The flee was everywhere nipping at the heels of City players and leading the press. A couple of quality passes led to big chances and one a goal. 

Hazard: 8 - Often isolated and did what he could to compete and won a few important free kicks. Bumped him to an 8 for 2 great assists. 

Subs

Barkley: 7 - I have to admit I was concerned when Kova went off. He did very well and much better than previous cameo appearances against top sides  

RLC: 7 - Solid effort winning a few free kicks and holding the ball up. His ability to do this should mean he sees minutes as a sub AM especially against the top 6. 

Giroud: N/A

Edited by samhoward17

Blue Rod   
6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

A big thank you to the utter bell end who called Sterling a revolting racist name so that the big news tomorrow is about racism at Chelsea and not how we beat City .

I hope the club finds you and bans you forever.

Me too.

6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Just got back home and haven't seen game yet but bloody delighted...I will address this type of comment above though. I think even you Martin  had had enough after the Wolves game. What was the phrase you used to describe the team...a bunch of .......... fairies?

And I stand by that comment. 

Having a bunch of fairies in our side and no leadership is one of our main problems , not the manager, not the style, not Luiz or Alonso or Rudiger 'who can't play in a back 4', not Kante being played out of position even though he's not, not Willian or Pedro not being good enough, having a bunch of fairies in our side and no leadership is exactly why we will get results like midweek and then follow them up with a result like yesterday.

4 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

It's interesting to know that we apparently had 20 more passes and 0.7% more possession in this game in comparison to the 0-1 loss we had under Conte last season. One manager is being lauded, the other heavily berated and criticised.

Are you seriously trying to compare the two performances? If your going to use stats I would at least get them right and use all the stats.Screenshot_20181209-083237_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c4345b1e4fedaaf60337e0aacb51d9c4.jpg

Screenshot_20181209-083209_Chrome.jpg