• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Manchester City 0

kev61   
18 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

It's interesting to know that we apparently had 20 more passes and 0.7% more possession in this game in comparison to the 0-1 loss we had under Conte last season. One manager is being lauded, the other heavily berated and criticised.

This wasn't some tactical masterclass on Sarri's behalf or turning of a corner. We rode our luck defensively as we've done frequently throughout the season so far, when we did manage to obtain possession we were sloppy and careless with the ball, while particularly in the first half we did nothing more than chase shadows around the pitch. The other key aspect to keep in mind is that Man City were without arguably their two best attacking players in Aguero and KdB. What it did show was that when we play without the ball and in a way that resembled something between what we'd see from Conte and Mourinho, the players looked more at home with their roles. Azpilicueta had arguably his best game of the season - even David Luiz showed more maturity and leadership putting in a commanding performance himself. The most defining part though was that we took advantage of the limited chances we did create. 

This result will mean nothing through if we drop points in our next league fixture vs Brighton. So it's going to be important that Sarri makes the most of this victory moving forward. While it shouldn't be used to mask our problems that still remain either. We were still poor for large periods of the game overall - Jorginho in particular was very poor. Alonso didn't look great once again either and Willian still remains a liability in the final third. Maybe this gives Sarri something to think about in terms of his system moving forward, we'll wait and see.

For now though, I'll enjoy the excellent (and unexpected) result.

this is the best assessment  I have seen after the game.Maybe the stars aligned - Luiz was superb(rarely happens)Azpi was superb(rarely happens these days)Kante was superb(because he was playing deeper)Morata was not even on the bench(superb)

Next few games will reveal whether Sarri is learning or he just got lucky.

kev61   
44 minutes ago, kev61 said:

this is the best assessment  I have seen after the game.Maybe the stars aligned - Luiz was superb(rarely happens)Azpi was superb(rarely happens these days)Kante was superb(because he was playing deeper)Morata was not even on the bench(superb)

Next few games will reveal whether Sarri is learning or he just got lucky.

And Harry Rednapp has been married to his wife for 54 years without any indiscretion  superb(but rarely happens).

Ham   
10 hours ago, kev61 said:

And Harry Rednapp has been married to his wife for 54 years without any indiscretion  superb(but rarely happens).

Word on the street is that Spurs have arranged an open top bus parade to celebrate his "I'm a celebrity" win. 

paulw66   
On 12/9/2018 at 3:43 AM, xCELERYx said:

It's interesting to know that we apparently had 20 more passes and 0.7% more possession in this game in comparison to the 0-1 loss we had under Conte last season. One manager is being lauded, the other heavily berated and criticised.

This wasn't some tactical masterclass on Sarri's behalf or turning of a corner. We rode our luck defensively as we've done frequently throughout the season

Which 0-1 are you talking about? The home game, we were outplayed, but we did ok, especially considering we had just come back from a CL midweek game in Madrid. The away game was an embarassment. 

With regards to the second part, there has to come a point when it can't just be luck. We have the second highest number of clean sheets in the PL, the 3rd best defensive record overall. After 16 games, this can't just be down to luck. In regards to this specific game, can you tell me what in particular was lucky? Anything, please....

On the way to the game I remarked to a friend of mine that I thought if we were to stand any chance of getting even a point, Kepa was going to have to play very well. As it turns out, until injury time, he didn't have to stretch himself, and that only came about from his own misplaced pass. In the second half in particular, they never looked like scoring, and it resulted in Kyle Walker trying his luck from 35 yards in desperation. According to the BBC, they had 4 shots on target.........one was from Jesus at the end, one was Sterling's scuffed shot at the beginning. I don't recall the other 2, and I certainly don't remember Kepa doing much else. Don't remember any shots narrowly missing, of them hitting the post or bar.....don't recall the ball rolling across the six yard box for an easy tap in.......For all of their play, they didn't open us up at all. 

I appreciate in a couple of games (arsenal at home, spurs away) we conceded too many chances, but beating the same drum even after a game when we didn't really concede any just makes your argument look a little silly. 

Ham   

The DVD is out now too.

Screenshot_20181210-095452_Facebook.jpg