• Current Donation Goals

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

3 cracking goals and a tap in from Ampadu.  

Willian's fk was brilliant.  Giroud's was even better.  Both topped by an absolute class goal by Nego, a real belter.
And Giroud's harder chance which just went over would have been best of the lot if it went in.

Still not an entertaining game - I blame the players.

Very much with Original 21.  Other than Pedro/Willian, 10 of the starters may get 2 more chances this season, the FA cup 3rd round and the final EL group game.  And that is as true for Barkley or Christensen or Morata or Fabregas as it is for CHO or Ampadu.  Hugely disappointing performances.  If Cahill or Moses (who are clearly marked to leave) played like that I could understand.  But these guys look like they have settled for the B team when actually this could have been their last chance to impress.

Or at least that is how it looked today.

Another wonderful post comrade with the usual sledging of the younger players. 

As for players failing to impress why should they when it’s obvious that the coach has a clique of 15 players who regardless of form will make the match day squad. It’s alleged he had the same philosophy at his previous club.

• Like 1

This is mostly true. However, if (or more likely when) we get more injuries, we now have some options that have at least played a few games. As a collective B team, they are not good enough, but as individuals to step into the A team when needed, they probably are. A case of the whole being worse than the sum of the parts!

Also, if you are demotivated by being picked in order to give one of the A team a rest or avoid injury, you have the wrong career - I doubt any of tonight’s squad went into the game thinking that.

Except maybe Morata.

14 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

As for players failing to impress why should they when it’s obvious that the coach has a clique of 15 players who regardless of form will make the match day squad. It’s alleged he had the same philosophy at his previous club.

RLC respectfully disagrees with you given he’s forced his way into meaningful EPL minutes on the back of his Europa League hat trick. That said, this game reminded me why Sarri prefers Barkley over RLC: all around, Barkley is a more useful and disciplined midfielder. 

xCELERYx   
6 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Not to mention most of them are lucky to get one game a week as it is. It's hard to expect a lot from a player when they have little to no match rhythm, sharpness or form behind them. As a player you want to play regularly, not this stop, start, stop, start sort of situation Sarri has created. 

Ampadu has a touch of JT in him. He's an organiser, he's a leader. The way he came across the pitch and broke up a dispute between CHO and a Vidi player was very JT-esque. He's got a touch of class in everything he does. Good defensively, good on the ball. He's gonna be the long-term captain. Despite the own goal I thought he had a good game. Needs more game time. 

CHO, well he just keeps improving. Best position is clearly on the left. Needs more games or we'll lose him - Bayern want him to play on the left for them. Only 18 months on his contract now. If we're playing Hazard false 9 I'd definitely take him playing on the left. Didn't do badly on the right either. 

It's great Sarri is giving the youth legit chances. With the league cup and FA cup to come, injuries and suspensions possibly, and a busy fixture schedule, they'll surely get more chances as the season goes on. 

• Like 1

However Sarri is doing right now, his EL selections can't be faulted.  A slightly cautious approach to the first few games left him with enough points to play a radical 2nd team where 10 players are not in the first 11, and the 11th was the job/share partnership which shares a first team place.

13 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Bit of a yawn fest. But a good insight into why Sarri chooses certain players and overlooks others.

QFT again - because people seem to think I was agreeing with some other post.

6 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

I don't think I have ever slated the younger players.  Just stated some realism about how far away they are from the likes of Willian, Pedro, Kovacic, Giroud, Zappacosta and several others who don't get the right to start on a regular basis.  Certainly not in this post - perhaps you should read it first.

6 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Also, if you are demotivated by being picked in order to give one of the A team a rest or avoid injury, you have the wrong career - I doubt any of tonight’s squad went into the game thinking that.

Except maybe Morata.

QFT.

Ham   
22 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Just stated some realism about how far away they are from the likes of Willian, Pedro, Kovacic, Giroud, Zappacosta and several others who don't get the right to start on a regular basis.  

Anyone who isn't up to the level of Zappacosta has real problems. 

1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

Not to mention most of them are lucky to get one game a week as it is. It's hard to expect a lot from a player when they have little to no match rhythm, sharpness or form behind them. As a player you want to play regularly, not this stop, start, stop, start sort of situation Sarri has created. 

The situation was created by not qualifying for the champions league last year.

We could always do want Conte did and pick the same players every game with zero rotation.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

However Sarri is doing right now, his EL selections can't be faulted.  A slightly cautious approach to the first few games left him with enough points to play a radical 2nd team where 10 players are not in the first 11, and the 11th was the job/share partnership which shares a first team place.

QFT again - because people seem to think I was agreeing with some other post.

I don't think I have ever slated the younger players.  Just stated some realism about how far away they are from the likes of Willian, Pedro, Kovacic, Giroud, Zappacosta and several others who don't get the right to start on a regular basis.  Certainly not in this post - perhaps you should read it first.

QFT.

Not sure what people want to be honest, Sarri can't win whatever his selection. People were moaning when he picked a fairly strong team in the first few games now they are moaning when he picks a reserve team for a completely irrelevant game.

We have a big squad for the first time in years, the manager is using them very well yet that appears to be wrong. We have a clear first 11 apart from maybe one or two players, the rest of the squad isn't as good, which is why they are squad players and don't play as much. It's what they are paid to do.

chelboy   
26 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Not sure what people want to be honest, Sarri can't win whatever his selection. People were moaning when he picked a fairly strong team in the first few games now they are moaning when he picks a reserve team for a completely irrelevant game.

We have a big squad for the first time in years, the manager is using them very well yet that appears to be wrong. We have a clear first 11 apart from maybe one or two players, the rest of the squad isn't as good, which is why they are squad players and don't play as much. It's what they are paid to do.

How is he using the squad very well? By picking an A team and B team? Is that what is classed as good rotation now a days. Well I hope not. Quite clearly Sarri weakness is not knowing how to use players and rotate in the PL. Giving players game time against poor opposition in Europa then leaving them out of every PL match day squad is not really good rotation. Especially when there are people in the first 11 who have had  poor recent form but are constantly selected. Its very demoralising to see and it makes players realise no matter what they do their current situation will not change. This is what makes “squad players” leave and never show their talent at this club.

Remember KDB and Salah? Who were asked to bring a 8/10 performance everytime they had a rare appearance in a league cup game or asked to come into the team with no rhythm of playing league matches .They never really got a chance to show their talents and now we are doing the same thing with players like RLC CHO Christensen and even Emerson. Throw them in for 1 PL game in 14 and people except them to suddenly have good games with no rhythm. Playing in the Europa group stage game is one thing, playing in a competitive PL game is another. As for PL starts ,Emerson and Zappa should have at LEAST 3 starts by now especially with the form of our full backs over the season. Same with Cesc RLC and Christensen. CHO could have had one or two starts with more sub appearances. I am not talking about starting all of them in the same game as that would likely disrupt the flow of the team but one or two changes in positions other than ST RW or NO.8 can do some good. Bringing in such players would not bring the quality of the team down by a massive margin. 

Sarri ,much like other previous managers here is going to lose serious young talent and spend £100M on players we could have developed for way less or even free. It is annoying to see the board trying to go one way and the manager going another. We are still choosing managers that have a problem with either squad management or youth. Its why I would have gone all out for Poch in the summer. 

• Like 2