• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 AFC Bournemouth 0

Ham   
4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Most notable contribution was bodychecking Kepa for no reason 

That wasn't him.  He picked Kepa up afterwards though. 

Sciatika   

I kept feeling frustrated at some of the slow play. I understand the possession thing, but sometimes it can be really annoying. For instance, there were numerous occasions when Giroud was on the shoulder of the defender and a ball behind would have created a decent opportunity, but the player with the ball chose a safer crossfield pass. I think Emerson could be a seriously good player if only he could get the ball in early if there is someone in the box or to try and get past the last man. Same for Ruben though, to be fair, it's not really his best position (I prefer him deeper). We have to learn to break down teams that play on the counterattack.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

That wasn't him.  He picked Kepa up afterwards though. 

Actually it was... 13 (Wilson) did the barge, 9 (Mousset) who picked him up

On the one hand a very professional piece of work, plenty of patience, taking one of half a dozen good chances, albeit the last one.

On the other, I wish we could put these teams away more easily.

Lots of disappointing performances.  Azpi and Emerson were OK.  Azpi has definitely got his pace back.  I thought Willian was OK - and unlucky with a remarkable save by Boruc  who almost stood up to make a save chipped over him after he had gone to ground.  RLC was good - more later, and the 2 main subs were good.  Kepa did nothing wrong and pulled off one v good save.  Not impressed by anyone else.

I thought Bournemouth were very confused with the ball and kept giving it away cheaply.    No surprise that Kovacics impressed some as the ball often ended up with him, but had Jorginho or Kante been on the pitch, they would have done the same.  Indeed even Fabregas looked a ball winner on this performance which gives you a clue.  Certainly Kovacics though is a blunting force not the cutting edge many want at No 8, and he should be there as back up for Jorgy or Kante, not as rival for Barkley (or better Fabregas as no8).

Fab8 did himself no favours though.  We tried plenty of long balls, without quite having the pace necessary in Grioud.  Moreover every long ball was really an admission of failure in playing it through the middle.

RLC looked very good as RW, not so good as CM.  It seems plain as a pikestaff to me that his next 2 years should be as rival to Hazard/Willian/Pedro, where there is always room for rotation.  He is not a CM for the prem (yet).

19 hours ago, chara said:

Sorry Droy..time for Fabragas to quietly ease away..not that he can't contribute but doesn't effect the game enough..RLC?..I still need to be convinced..and Christennson should be sold for as much as we can get.

Certainly not a classic Fabregas performance.  Still think he is the best choice for 8 we have in this system, especially if Kante is in the same team.  
RLC - not 100% convinced but only because it has taken him so long to get this far.  Right now he is doing plenty to create the right impression.  He was involved in I guess about 4 great chances yesterday.  

17 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Yes kev. He didn't offend me , I just skipped over his odd posts to one's that made sense.

Same here - more Edward Lear than troll.  But I guess some posts get deleted before you or I see them.
So, he's off to the Land where the Bong Tree grows.

10 hours ago, Leo91 said:

Sarri inflexible? We sat back against Liverpool and City and almost beat them both.  He's also shown more rotation in a few months than Mourinho and Conte combined.

Very true.  If anything he ought to be criticised for changing the team too much for Wolves where we lost.

46 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I think Emerson could be a seriously good player if only he could get the ball in early if there is someone in the box or to try and get past the last man. 

He does look like a proper football player.  Like Kovacic looks like a boxer.  Emerson does look strong all around, and I get the feeling he could play CB or CM just as well.  More the Azpi sitting FB than the Alonso/Zappa getting forward FB.

46 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Same for Ruben though, to be fair, it's not really his best position (I prefer him deeper). We have to learn to break down teams that play on the counterattack.

Clive Walker said much the same on CTV.

I don't get it, we have a player that can beat an opponent one on one from a standing start about 60% of the time (and leave him 10 yards behind) and lose it 40% of the time.  It is a pretty rare talent.  Surely he has to be doing that in their half, not ours, better still near their area.  

I don't know if RLC the football visionary exists as some suggest.  I haven't seen it yet - his passing is ambitious rather than inspired.  But RLC going past people I have seen plenty.

Sciatika   
37 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

`Clive Walker said much the same on CTV.

Nice to know someone agrees with me.

37 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't get it, we have a player that can beat an opponent one on one from a standing start about 60% of the time (and leave him 10 yards behind) and lose it 40% of the time.  It is a pretty rare talent.  Surely he has to be doing that in their half, not ours, better still near their area.  

I don't know if RLC the football visionary exists as some suggest.  I haven't seen it yet - his passing is ambitious rather than inspired.  But RLC going past people I have seen plenty.

I don't think it's so much about the position on the field or his vision particularly. I see him roughly in Essien's old position on the right of a 3-man midfield, still playing in the opposition half but using his power to make driving runs with or without the ball to the edge of the box and into it.

Leo91   

I thought Cesc was very good on the ball. He was one of the few that keeps to the Sarri philosophy of taking as few touches as possible. But the more the game went on and the braver Bournemouth got he looked as slow as his age suggests.

21 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Nice to know someone agrees with me.

I don't think it's so much about the position on the field or his vision particularly. I see him roughly in Essien's old position on the right of a 3-man midfield, still playing in the opposition half but using his power to make driving runs with or without the ball to the edge of the box and into it.

That is what Kante has started doing.  I think the Essien way was to use strength and bursts of pace instead of technique.  RLC is different.  But it is right to have this debate.

xCELERYx   
9 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Completely agree. I've been saying this for a while - no idea why Kovacic is being used as the #8. It's not his position and he isn't very good creating. He's the type of midfielder who is doing most of his good work in the build-up phase. He's so bleeding obviously a #6.

He's actually better suited to playing with more attacking freedom ironically enough. Go watch him during his Inter Milan days where he played his best football, it's night and day to how he's utilised now. He used to make some ridiculously powerful runs from midfield right through sides, rounding it out with a strike on goal or laying it off to the CF. Something we're sorely missing at times. 

Idk who decided to shackle him so much offensively, but if he can be given more licence to create and attack again he'll have a far greater impact on games. The Kovacic we see now is a watered down version.

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, Leo91 said:

I thought Cesc was very good on the ball. He was one of the few that keeps to the Sarri philosophy of taking as few touches as possible. But the more the game went on and the braver Bournemouth got he looked as slow as his age suggests.

You'll find all the guys who haven't really played much football outside of the Europa League and league cup looked leggy as the game wore on. That's what happens when they're only getting a game or two every couple weeks. They don't really have the match fitness in the legs to run out a whole 90+ minutes. Fabregas wasn't the only victim of this. 

kev61   
12 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well he tried it on with me Kev  before I put him on ignore. And you are a gentleman's gentleman by comparison.

You'r too kind sir - but many would not agree in the parochial little backwater of a town I live in.