• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 AFC Bournemouth 0

paulw66   
13 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Two further considerations, should we beat Bournemouth and make it to the semis that would make us more attractive again to any January targets we are after. The second point is about maintaining the winning mentality.

You really believe that any January targets are going to give much a toss about the LC? If the player is domestic, probably cup tied anyway. 

The LC semis certainly disrupted our winning mentatlity last season - drew at home to Leicester after the first leg and then lost to Bournemouth and Watford after the second. 

Jasonb   
7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

You really believe that any January targets are going to give much a toss about the LC? If the player is domestic, probably cup tied anyway. 

The LC semis certainly disrupted our winning mentatlity last season - drew at home to Leicester after the first leg and then lost to Bournemouth and Watford after the second. 

I do actually as it keeps the idea in mind that we are a club serious about wining trophies.

paulw66   
Just now, Jasonb said:

I do actually as it keeps the idea in mind that we are a club serious about wining trophies.

I'm curious as to which players would choose not to come here because we're not in the LC final, but would if we were.......... genuinely interested. 

Jasonb   

Pusilic might be one, if it comes to a choice between us and Liverpool.

We were 5th last season and not in the CL, yet this season if we achieve the semi's of the first cup competition it looks like we still have the winning mentality.

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I'm curious as to which players would choose not to come here because we're not in the LC final, but would if we were.......... genuinely interested. 

Doesn't winning the League Cup grant access to the qualifying rounds of the Champions League?

7 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Doesn't winning the League Cup grant access to the qualifying rounds of the Champions League?

Is that what they're calling the Europa League these days?

4 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Is that what they're calling the Europa League these days?

Indeed! Sorry Chiswick, it would help if I could read!

City and Burton are in the next round, with the other being one of Spuds or Arsenal. We could really do without two games against top six opposition followed by a final most likely against Top 6 opposition, and I worry Sarri would put some first team players in to those games. If we got Burton then happy days. I would play a complete second string for all the rest of the LC games, regardless of opposition, and see what they can do. Personally not bothered about winning it, one of Spurs or Arsenal will really go for it next round I reckon which would benefit us in the league if we get those extra days of rest. It's also better to go out to Bournemouth now than out to one of Spuds or Arsenal later on.

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Indeed! Sorry Chiswick, it would help if I could read!

The forum is going to become very complicated if we're all illiterate! 

Wibble!