• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Leicester City 1

kev61   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Probably the same way as a dozen different posters on here have explained a hundred times collectively.  

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Probably the same way as a dozen different posters on here have explained a hundred times collectively.  

"The only thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience"(Atticus Finch)

kev61   
1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

Shame that not everyone does collective mentality, which is why my predictions seem to be right more times than the collective. 

The so called collective have labelled Kante's current position a box to box midfielder. That position is an invention of this forum. It does not exist in Sarri's formation. Someone playing in the right advanced position, drifting back to help Jorginho would of course sometimes end up in one box or the other.  It doesn't make Kante any more a box to box midfielder than David Luiz is a box to box defender. 

I can't understamd how anyone who has seen Kante struggling in the far right hand side of the pitch match after match can think he's playing box to box. 

I can't understand why some people think Kovacic is a waste of space.I can't understand why some people think Fabregas should start.I can't understand why Mikel,Torres,Bakayoko and Morata (to name but a few)got so much playing time - I made my mind up about this lot much sooner than any manager involved - maybe I am getting it wrong...with humility I doubt it.

On 12/25/2018 at 0:03 PM, Bob Singleton said:

Article in the Independent (taken from an interview Sari did with quite a few written-press journalists) says he thinks the squad is too big and that we have too many attacking players.
Too many??? Really??? I tend to think of attacking midfielders as those who score and/or regularly create for others... but it seems Sari thinks Jorginho and Kovacic are attcking players!

Sarri also stated that he believes Chelsea have too many players in their squad ahead of the January transfer window, particularly in the attacking midfield area.

“You already know my opinion, because I’ve told you in the past. We have a lot of offensive midfielders and we have only [N’Golo] Kante as a defensive midfielder so it’s not easy now for the midfield to have the right balance.”

I think you are simply interpretíng him badly. With "attacking midfielders" he doesn't mean Pedro, Willian or Hazard. He's talking about Fabregas, Jorginho, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek and Barkley who are all attacking central midfielders. In this sense, Kanté is the only "defensive midfielder" he's got. Now maybe it is a bit too loose of an interpretation to call all those five attacking midfielders. But they are certainly more attacking/flair type players than Kanté. 

Anyhow, just my two pennies. 

That the squad is too big is true (28 players). That being said we are lacking players in AM and S. That the squad is unbalanced is no surprise given our last managers obscene liking for defensive players. 

10 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I think you are simply interpretíng him badly. With "attacking midfielders" he doesn't mean Pedro, Willian or Hazard. He's talking about Fabregas, Jorginho, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek and Barkley who are all attacking central midfielders. In this sense, Kanté is the only "defensive midfielder" he's got. Now maybe it is a bit too loose of an interpretation to call all those five attacking midfielders. But they are certainly more attacking/flair type players than Kanté. 

Other than on Kovacic (whose main attributes are defensive - like Kante, although neither are DMs) I agree this is what Sarri meant.

11 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

That the squad is too big is true (28 players). That being said we are lacking players in AM and S. That the squad is unbalanced is no surprise given our last managers obscene liking for defensive players. 

True.  A squad of 25 should have 3 CFs and 6 AMs for a 433 set up.  After all 14/25 play every game, and usually that means 5 or 6 AMs & Strikers.  So 9 at least are needed.
We have 5 plus RLC (even if he doesn't realise that himself) but not Moses who is simply not good enough.

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Other than on Kovacic (whose main attributes are defensive - like Kante, although neither are DMs) I agree this is what Sarri meant.

True.  A squad of 25 should have 3 CFs and 6 AMs for a 433 set up.  After all 14/25 play every game, and usually that means 5 or 6 AMs & Strikers.  So 9 at least are needed.
We have 5 plus RLC (even if he doesn't realise that himself) but not Moses who is simply not good enough.

Agreed on Kovacic. But for some reason Sarri seems to think he’s an attacking mid. Personally I have him down as a traditional #6. 

On Moses (and the numbers required at AM and S) we are in full agreement. 

So , if I understand you correctly he needs more defensive midfielders like Kante and not attacking midfielders like Barkley ?

Makes you wonder why he doesn't play Kante in a defensive role then really.