• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Arkie said:

That's interesting observation. I myself noticed recent EPL trend of going back in time. Where most of the fouls go unpunished. And I am talking about fouls on players like Eden, Willian and Pedro, who break at speed on counter. Why opposition players go unbooked for that? They defiantly prevent a goal scoring opportunity. No wonder our counter attacks don't work.

He's a good ref Atkinson but only if you want a battle or are deemed allowed to compete in a battle which , sadly , we appear to be in a select group who aren't . A select group of one .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
12 hours ago, Arkie said:

That's interesting observation. I myself noticed recent EPL trend of going back in time. Where most of the fouls go unpunished. And I am talking about fouls on players like Eden, Willian and Pedro, who break at speed on counter. Why opposition players go unbooked for that? They defiantly prevent a goal scoring opportunity. No wonder our counter attacks don't work.

You'll find that's more down to how we're setup to play these days, the slowness in which our players move the ball and our poor decision making in the final third. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   

Who knows what the result will be, being in our state of limbo - will it be the team that beat man city?or will it be the team that lost against leicester city? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Liverpool,man city,Tottenham,Man Utd and more importantly ARSENAL win later we will likely be in 5th when it's our turn to play.

Pressure will be on and Sarri will properly play the usual team (maybe one change), and we will fall apart and lose.

Sarri needs to drop his love child (Jorginio) and play Kante in front of the back 4, but he is too stubborn 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   

I have a feeling we will get beaten again today. Teams have worked out how to play against us. Our team is slow in the attack, and slow in transition from defence to attack. But most importantly, when we camp upfield, there is no defensive power in the middle to slow down or break up counterattacks. One straight ball down the middle and we are in trouble. Our flanks are also porous, for the same reason. When Alonso moves upfield, there is no DM cover behind him. The centrehalf cannot afford to get drawn to the flank. 

Sarri must first get the basic defensive shape right before any fanciful sarriball. So far he has not worked that out. Also the concept of marking space instead of tracking runners (even as they get into your box) is basically pants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

When Alonso moves upfield, there is no DM cover behind him. The centrehalf cannot afford to get drawn to the flank. 

When Alonso moves upfield (unless we are chasing the game) Azpi tucks in as a 3rd CB and there is plenty of scope for Luiz to cover wide.
Unless of course we play a team that push 3 up, in which case Alonso does not get forwards.

Alonso gets forward no more than any normal top team FB.  No more than a Liverpool Spurs or City FB.  Azpi much less so.

I think you have been watching too much Conteballs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

When Alonso moves upfield (unless we are chasing the game) Azpi tucks in as a 3rd CB and there is plenty of scope for Luiz to cover wide.
Unless of course we play a team that push 3 up, in which case Alonso does not get forwards.

Alonso gets forward no more than any normal top team FB.  No more than a Liverpool Spurs or City FB.  Azpi much less so.

I think you have been watching too much Conteballs.

I’m not sure you have been watching Alonso this season then he’s always out of position usually caught upfield and to slow to get back 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

 

Alonso gets forward no more than any normal top team FB.  No more than a Liverpool Spurs or City FB.  

The difference being that Liverpool , Spurs and City FB's can actually get up and down the pitch quickly enough to fulfil the remit . Alonso cannot . We should be playing him as a centre forward he's very good in front of goal .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The difference being that Liverpool , Spurs and City FB's can actually get up and down the pitch quickly enough to fulfil the remit . Alonso cannot . 

No the main difference being that oppo teams are scared of the other 3, so would not dare have a winger not tracking him back.  That and their use of 2 attacking FBs, not just one.

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We should be playing him as a centre forward he's very good in front of goal .

Well no, not that good.  But he is the only player other than occasionally Kante who makes a real effort to get inside the box when we have the ball.  The solution is not to play him at CF, but just to tell the others where to get to.  Hazard in particular.

20 minutes ago, Aussie1979 said:

I’m not sure you have been watching Alonso this season then he’s always out of position usually caught upfield and to slow to get back 

ditto other clubs too.  It is how modern footie works. Conteballs being the big exception.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

When Alonso moves upfield (unless we are chasing the game) Azpi tucks in as a 3rd CB and there is plenty of scope for Luiz to cover wide.
Unless of course we play a team that push 3 up, in which case Alonso does not get forwards.

Alonso gets forward no more than any normal top team FB.  No more than a Liverpool Spurs or City FB.  Azpi much less so.

I think you have been watching too much Conteballs.

I know what I am watching. And stop being so condescending. I don't know who appointed you the resident professor of football in this forum. Your opinion is no less stupid than that of anyone else here.

A centrehalf needs defensive midfield cover to slow things down and give him time to get to the flank in a good position. The reason David Luiz has a howler almost every time we have a pressing game is because, any centrehalf is pretty average when facing a speedy forward running at him with no obstacle. Against Spurs, he arrived late, caused the foul that led to the first goal. For the third goal, he again arrived late, and put in a phantom tackle. If Kante was in a position to get to Son, David Luiz clears that ball in style.  The man that was tasked with stopping Son in that run was, guess who, Jorginho. And we saw what happened. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.