• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Crystal Palace 0 Chelsea 1

chara   

I try not to read match time posts and prefer to wait a little while for the more objective views.

Watched recording of game,5am KO here is too early as I have too much to do for the first hour or so every morning and prefer to watch all the game rather than bits and pieces.

Avoided all info except final score and pretty much agree with most. Chelsea in control without allowing any peace of mind to a viewer!

Amazed to see we have same GD as Spuds who are highflying according to media.Kepa is #2 in clean sheets so something nearly right must be being done!

Manures 4th goal waaay offside and I'm still not convinced about Giroud not being offside but just shows the margins.

Palace really didn't threaten until the end and had they tried that earlier would have led to far more space for Chelsea up front but it was worth a go for them although never actually got on target.

Good away result against a bogey side and results MATTER not silky football although both would be nice in tandem.

Hope January brings pleasant surprise signings and no shock departures.

Will Emerson be a surprise second half of season player?

kev61   
37 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

The Sky commentators mentioned that they saw him at half time and it was the most disinterested warm up they had seen, had his hands in his pockets throughout. Also seen pictures of him on the bench with his snood over his face. Seems to be sulking more than ever and can see him becoming a bad egg if he doesn't get game time. Yet another reason to get rid asap.

Haven't checked redface but it shows what a good group of players can do when in a good atmosphere and given some freedom to express themselves, which seems to be OJS approach according to his press conferences (as opposed to a more regimented jose system) Had me wondering - we have a good group of players with bags of ability perhaps the managers tactics are shackling us a little? Maybe our performances and results against lower teams would be better if the players had more freedom and mixed it up, rather than pass pass pass.

Agree with every word.As I said have a look in Redcafe,'Ole is our saviour' blah blah blah after three games!...sheep!

Maurizio Sarri saw his side improve after the break at Selhurst Park, although the victory came at a cost with players injured during and in the build-up to the match.

We were dominant for vast swathes of the match that brought 2018 to a close with three points, and in his analysis afterwards Sarri could find just a solitary fault with his team’s performance that made the finish tenser than it might have been.

He also spoke about matchwinner N’Golo Kante and provided an update on an increasingly injury list, but first he gave his verdict on our second away win in five days…

‘We played a very good match for 85 minutes,’ Sarri said. ‘We were in full control, but we didn’t kill the match. For us it’s difficult to defend in the box in the last five minutes because we don’t have very good physical impact so we are in trouble.

‘But for 85 minutes we didn’t concede anything to the opponent. The only thing I didn’t like was that we were not able to kill the match.

‘We were better in the second half. In the first half we did everything very well, but slowly. In the second half for 40 minutes we moved the ball at a better speed.

‘We played against a dangerous opponent. They are very dangerous in short and long counter-attacks, so we had to have good positions in line with the ball in the offensive phase, otherwise we would have been in trouble.’

Sarri commented on Kante’s performance after his third goal of the season made the difference

‘He has to think about the defence first of all. Then he is improving, especially in movements without the ball. His movement today was really very good and was done with the right timing.

‘When we have to play against opponents who are very low, it’s difficult for the striker and wingers to find space. So for us the midfielders’ movement without the ball is very important.

‘Now we have to work on Loftus-Cheek and on Barkley. Loftus-Cheek especially is a great player with the ball, but he can improve a lot in his movement without the ball.’

Olivier Giroud, who started up front, went off injured during the second half

‘The problem is his ankle. I don’t know the extent at the moment. We have to wait until tomorrow. Later this evening I will see the doctor for the first result.

‘In the last two days we were a bit unlucky. Yesterday in 10 minutes we had three injuries: Fabregas, Loftus-Cheek and Drinkwater. Now today Giroud, and we were already without Pedro and Hudson-Odoi, so now we are in trouble because in January we have to play every three days.'

Sarri provided more detail on Fabregas’s injury

‘Fabregas has a neck injury. I don’t know how long he will be out for. I don’t know if he has to rest for two days or for 10 days.’

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Agree with every word.As I said have a look in Redcafe,'Ole is our saviour' blah blah blah after three games!...sheep!

Well, after enduring old sour face and his desire to bore fans and players to death, having a manager who is smiling, and is allowing the players to enjoy themselves again must come as a blessed relief.

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

brilliant kev61 and Blue Rod convinced I have a bigger JM obsession than they do.

You probably do tbf, but only because each only ever seems to post about you. I expect that takes up a lot of their obsessive energies. 

Really think a rolling DWMH thread would tidy the board up a bit. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

‘Now we have to work on Loftus-Cheek and on Barkley. Loftus-Cheek especially is a great player with the ball, but he can improve a lot in his movement without the ball.’

He is right - they don't play Sarriball.  They want to take the time Sarriball gives and look up and play Hollywood balls.  Which is fair enough if you are Fabregas or Luiz, but they just don't have that kind of vision.  And picking the ball up and trying to beat an opponent (Sarri mentioned this elsewhere re Barkley) is all very well if the midfield is not too crowded, but pointless when its like Bruce Lee taking on Ninjas.  
What Barkley (or RLC) should be doing in these types of games is making the Kante type runs that currently only Kante and Alonso make.

Blue Rod   
13 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

He is right - they don't play Sarriball.  They want to take the time Sarriball gives and look up and play Hollywood balls.  Which is fair enough if you are Fabregas or Luiz, but they just don't have that kind of vision.  And picking the ball up and trying to beat an opponent (Sarri mentioned this elsewhere re Barkley) is all very well if the midfield is not too crowded, but pointless when its like Bruce Lee taking on Ninjas.  
What Barkley (or RLC) should be doing in these types of games is making the Kante type runs that currently only Kante and Alonso make.

Barkley could do with learning to shield the ball in his possession for a start. I don't think I've seen a midfielder at this level lose the ball so cheaply. With his physical strength opponents should be bouncing off him them he has the ball.  

Edited by Blue Rod

Leo91   

It's all about maneuvering the opposition out of their shape. You can do that by moving the ball quickly with tempo if it isn't congested (we can't do that all the time). Or by having multiple runners off the ball to create diversions, that doesn't work if you're just trotting or if it's just one man partaking while everyone else is static.

kev61   
18 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Barkley could do with learning to shield the ball in his possession for a start. I don't think I've seen a midfielder at this level lose the ball so cheaply. With his physical strength opponents should be bouncing off him them he has the ball.  

I'm sorry but he is another nothing player who is just poor that we bought.