• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Crystal Palace 0 Chelsea 1

I think with Barkley it can argued that like the cameo appearance made by CHO recently he has been brow beaten by Sarri into playing a certain way , particularly in not giving the ball away cheaply . Barkley made a very high profile mistake which ended up helping Liverpool secure the draw they hadn't deserved recently.

What we are seeing is Barkley and CHO scared to take chances and playing within themselves and being castigated for it .

I thought Barkley did well against Palace given the template in which he found himself .

• Like 1

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think with Barkley it can argued that like the cameo appearance made by CHO recently he has been brow beaten by Sarri into playing a certain way , particularly in not giving the ball away cheaply . Barkley made a very high profile mistake which ended up helping Liverpool secure the draw they hadn't deserved recently.

What we are seeing is Barkley and CHO scared to take chances and playing within themselves and being castigated for it .

I thought Barkley did well against Palace given the template in which he found himself .

Except he still does. Did it in injury time against Watford, and they won a corner from it. he got away with it because they didn't score. 

I am not sure Sarri can take the blame for his misgivings. 

Just now, paulw66 said:

Except he still does. Did it in injury time against Watford, and they won a corner from it. he got away with it because they didn't score. 

I am not sure Sarri can take the blame for his misgivings. 

I'm not blaming Sarri all in saying is Barkley is working hard on curtailing his instinct because of the way Sarri wants him to play , in my opinion he should be a encouraged to get in the box more and not to become another recycler of the ball . 

if everyone is recycling nobody is doing and that's a bit of an issue when you look at our goal return from midfield.

• Like 1

paulw66   
8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not blaming Sarri all in saying is Barkley is working hard on curtailing his instinct because of the way Sarri wants him to play , in my opinion he should be a encouraged to get in the box more and not to become another recycler of the ball . 

if everyone is recycling nobody is doing and that's a bit of an issue when you look at our goal return from midfield.

Gotcha.......earlier in the season he was getting goals, and that seems to have stopped.

We need at least one of the midfield 3 to be a goalscorer.

26 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think Barkley is deciding if he should be a dull unadventurous CM like Kovacic, or if he should be an attacking CM like he'd want to be.

He hasn't clocked on that the question is not which one or other, but when one of the other.  He needs to decide that every 5 minutes during a game, not once a career.

CHO on the other put in a fine mature performance. A winger should not try to go round 2 defenders when we are a goal up and Azpi is refusing (in line with instructions I guess) to over lap, he should turn back to recycle the ball is the smart move.  I'm sure Sarri was happy with him, everyone should be happy with his performance.

12 hours ago, Ham said:

DWMH seems to spend about 50% of his time on here defending JM and you spend about 50% of your time on here defending DWMH although TBF I spend about 25% of my time on here pointing that out. 

Exactly; let's just bang it all in the one thread. 

paulw66   

Last point on this game to those complaining it wasn't good enough.......... Palace have now played 10 league games at home and have shipped 9 goals. Their biggest loss has been 2-0 (twice), and they have conceded 2 goals on just 3 occasions. One of which was Arsenal, who scored a direct free kick and a goal with their hand. 

Yesterday was their first home game in 18 months that they failed to register a shot on target. 

A second goal would have been nice, but this was a controlled away performance. 

46 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

CHO on the other put in a fine mature performance. A winger should not try to go round 2 defenders when we are a goal up and Azpi is refusing (in line with instructions I guess) to over lap, he should turn back to recycle the ball is the smart move.  I'm sure Sarri was happy with him, everyone should be happy with his performance.

Well , I was certainly happy , others weren't because they were expecting swashbuckling wing play which was obviously not the remit .

My point was he did what the manager asked of him like Barkley and then they have their ability questioned .

xCELERYx   
48 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Last point on this game to those complaining it wasn't good enough.......... Palace have now played 10 league games at home and have shipped 9 goals. Their biggest loss has been 2-0 (twice), and they have conceded 2 goals on just 3 occasions. One of which was Arsenal, who scored a direct free kick and a goal with their hand. 

Yesterday was their first home game in 18 months that they failed to register a shot on target. 

A second goal would have been nice, but this was a controlled away performance. 

You'll find that those who take issue with the performance/s are directing that more towards the manner of how we play in relation to the amount of possession and control we have in games. We had 65.8% of possession vs Palace with 781 passes to 394. That's a huge gulf between the two sides, as is generally the case for us. Yet, we were hardly convincing throughout. Our play a times was slow and laboured as it has been lately, and that allowed Palace to get men back behind the ball making it difficult for us to break them down. Our passing is often littered with sideways and backwards passes that don't really enhance our play or position. We had 12 shots in total, only 4 of those were on target. 4 shots less than we generally average this season. For how lopsided the game was at times, we sure do go about making our job far more difficult than it really ought to be. That's where the dissatisfaction lies. Our performance don't often reflect the dominance we often have. Maybe that's fixed by getting in a proper CF, maybe it isn't. We'll have to wait and see.

Edited by xCELERYx

Blue Rod   
2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Earlier in the season it seemed he was making progress... he was looking like he might be a half-decent player. Recently he looks to have regressed. I don't know if he's struggling because everyone around him is too, or if he's struggling because he's just not very good. I'm hoping it's the former.

Maybe it's the way we are all obsessed with goalscoring records. But I think young(ish) English midfielders tend to forget the fundamentals of what makes a top player - don't lose the ball, keep improving your movement, and leave a mark with your passing. If you can't pass the ball, you've got to compensate for it by breaking up play, showing lots of energy. Barkley is doing none of the above. He comes in, gets the ball, gets bullied off it too easily, or he just hits a pass that makesJon Obi Mikel look like Iniesta. 

There is no place in a top team for Mr Average, I'm afraid. Not even sure if Barkley qualifies for that title.