• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Crystal Palace 0 Chelsea 1

paulw66   
7 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

sorry paulw66

you are right, let scrap the whole idea of having British players in the starting 11, and continue along the path of foreign imports.

Maybe you want to cast your mid back at the balance of British and foreign players when the club was at its peek? Alternatively you can take a look at the teams above us and their balance of British and Foreign?

The bottom line is having the right mixture. BTW it's just over 19 years to the day when was at the Dell to witness Vialli's 1st all foreign starting 11 

When did I say, scrap the idea of having British players? I want to scrap the idea of having cr@p players, whatever nationality. 

When the club was at its peak we had some very good English players. By and large we don't at the moment, so I am not advocating picking the sub par English players over their superior foreign couterparts simply because they are British. 

The right mixture requires having the right level of quality in both British and non Birtish players. 

The notion that only British players can handle the physical side is wrong. The all foreign XI at the Dell won 2-0 that day, right?

xCELERYx   
8 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

I fear the problem is that Kante is not suited to a three man midfield and we need a real number 8 (or RLC/Barkley to dramatically up their game).

I think Kante is fine in a three man midfield providing he's playing that central midfield role that allows him to be more of a defensive midfielder - tasked with a role that is centred around shielding the defence, tackling, closing down around him, and recycling possession once it's won back. He doesn't necessarily have to "hold" the midfield like you'd get from a holding midfielder in the vein of Makelele, so he'd still have some licence to move about as required to fill gaps. Unfortunately, that's not really a position/role Sarri uses which sort of makes Kante droppable. His only real assets when pushed further forward is his ability to close down and win the ball, and his willingness to run. Once he has the ball though he's neither creative or technical enough to do a whole lot with it unless in acres of space. Which can be hindering in a system that's heavily based around possession. 

We need that Hamsik/Vidal type of CM. Someone who is comfortable without the ball that still offers the solidarity from a tactical and defensive standpoint, but is equally gifted with the ball at feet to create and or pose a goal threat themselves when in that final third.

3 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

We need that Hamsik/Vidal type of CM. Someone who is comfortable without the ball that still offers the solidarity from a tactical and defensive standpoint, but is equally gifted with the ball at feet to create and or pose a goal threat themselves when in that final third.

Doesnt that sound like Kovacic to you? Doesnt excel at either attacking or defending but is a solid all round player. Probably the most natural fit for Sarri's no.6. Problem is we have Kanté, one of the best midfielders in the world! Sarri will either need to adapt his system to the players he has or try Kovacic-Jorginho-RLC against teams where we expect to dominate possession.

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

Doesnt that sound like Kovacic to you? Doesnt excel at either attacking or defending but is a solid all round player. Probably the most natural fit for Sarri's no.6. Problem is we have Kanté, one of the best midfielders in the world! Sarri will either need to adapt his system to the players he has or try Kovacic-Jorginho-RLC against teams where we expect to dominate possession.

To a degree, yes. I mean he effectively played that role at Inter Milan and excelled in it. I've mentioned it on here that I believe he needs to be given more freedom to get forward and create, something he's perfectly capable of doing. Would probably need to add more goals to his game though to have that same effect of a Hamisk or Vidal. Sarri unfortunately expects his players to adapt to him, irrespective if they're ideally suited of not. I don't expect to see Kante (or Jorginho) dropped, leaving Kovacic, RLC and Barkley for that remaining spot.

When we have as much possession as we do, there has to be one midfielder in there who offers a goal threat and creativity. Otherwise we're virtually relying on three positions to carry the attack - both attacking midfielders and our CF. Or in our case, Hazard - and to a degree Pedro too.

Edited by xCELERYx
Auto correct.

18 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

It is 32 years since Liverpool played the first non-English team.  Funny no one mentions that.

what have the bin-dippers to do with Chelsea?

BTW - I used the word British which is obviously foreign to you comrade

This game feels like a game for Barkly IMO - I'd bring him in to the midfield 3 in place of Kovacic and as long as he's fit I would guess RLC goes in to the front 3 and if not Giroud in with Hazard back out wide. I also think it could be worth rotating Fabregas in for Jorginho as we need to get someone on who can play that killer pass and let's get Jorginho a bit of a rest (I can't see Sarri making this change though!)

I said it when we last played Palace, but I HATE this fixture, I have so many mates who are Palace fans and Palace always seem to up their game and then some against us. I just want it out the way and ideally with 3 points in the bag - especially with Arsenal playing Liverpool.

I'd go with:

Kepa

Azpi Rudiger Luiz Alonso

Kante Fabregas Barkley

RLC Hazard Willian

Subs: Caballero, Cahill, Emerson, Zappa, Kovacic, Jorginho, Giroud 

What I think Sarri will go with:

Kepa

Azpi Rudiger Luiz Alonso

Kante Jorginho Kovacic

RLC Hazard Willian

Jasonb   
1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

What I think Sarri will go with:

Kepa

Azpi Rudiger Luiz Alonso

Kante Jorginho Kovacic

RLC Hazard Willian

I like your thinking on this and I think the above is how we will start with Barkley likely featuring for the second half.

2 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

what have the bin-dippers to do with Chelsea?

BTW - I used the word British which is obviously foreign to you comrade

??  Because most mentions of that non-British team are about the potential harm it did to the national team - after all the FA is also responsible for the England team.  Somehow Liverpool did nothing wrong in a non-England team, but Chelsea were very wrong in their non-British team in an English league.  

Yes "British" is foreign to me in the same way it would be for an SNP voting Scot.  We play in the English League, and the poor but only justification for any restrictions on player nationalities is to support the English national team.