• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Crystal Palace 0 Chelsea 1

Sciatika   

When I watch our players, especially RLC and Ross, I am struck by the reluctance to move beyond the player to receive the ball or to make breaking runs. I am not sure whether the passes do not get played because the runs are unexpected or whether the run is not made because the pass is not seen. I am also struck by the lack of intensity in the sequences of play where we have possession. Having the ball is well and good, but you have to have intensity to convert the possession into goals. In the first half. we had lots of possession but there was no intensity and so we created few chances.

jones   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Last point on this game to those complaining it wasn't good enough.......... Palace have now played 10 league games at home and have shipped 9 goals. Their biggest loss has been 2-0 (twice), and they have conceded 2 goals on just 3 occasions. One of which was Arsenal, who scored a direct free kick and a goal with their hand. 

Yesterday was their first home game in 18 months that they failed to register a shot on target. 

A second goal would have been nice, but this was a controlled away performance. 

And we hit the post twice. And had two disallowed goals where at least one should have stood. And it was busy Christmas schedule. And we missed a few players.

Hard to see why anyone can complain when we got the three points.

paulw66   
Just now, jones said:

And we hit the post twice. And had two disallowed goals where at least one should have stood. And it was busy Christmas schedule. And we missed a few players.

Hard to see why anyone can complain when we got the three points.

People manage it though........

paulw66   
48 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

You'll find that those who take issue with the performance/s are directing that more towards the manner of how we play in relation to the amount of possession and control we have in games. We had 65.8% of possession vs Palace with 781 passes to 394. That's a huge gulf between the two sides, as is generally the case for us. Yet, we were hardly convincing throughout. Our play a times was slow and laboured as it has been lately, and that allowed Palace to get men back behind the ball making it difficult for us to break them down. Our passing is often littered with sideways and backwards passes that don't really enhance our play or position. We had 12 shots in total, only 4 of those were on target. 4 shots less than we generally average this season. For how lopsided the game was at times, we sure do go about making our job far more difficult than it really ought to be. That's where the dissatisfaction lies. Our performance don't often reflect the dominance we often have. Maybe that's fixed by getting in a proper CF, maybe it isn't. We'll have to wait and see.

"allowed Palace........." they never moved from the edge of their box. No amount of quick passing changes that.

As pointed out elsewhere, 1 goal, 2 50/50 offside goals, hit the post twice, against a team who concede few at home.

2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

You'll find that those who take issue with the performance/s are directing that more towards the manner of how we play in relation to the amount of possession and control we have in games. We had 65.8% of possession vs Palace with 781 passes to 394. That's a huge gulf between the two sides, as is generally the case for us. Yet, we were hardly convincing throughout. Our play a times was slow and laboured as it has been lately, and that allowed Palace to get men back behind the ball making it difficult for us to break them down. Our passing is often littered with sideways and backwards passes that don't really enhance our play or position. We had 12 shots in total, only 4 of those were on target. 4 shots less than we generally average this season. For how lopsided the game was at times, we sure do go about making our job far more difficult than it really ought to be. That's where the dissatisfaction lies. Our performance don't often reflect the dominance we often have. Maybe that's fixed by getting in a proper CF, maybe it isn't. We'll have to wait and see.

Oh, the irony!

chelboy   
10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Last point on this game to those complaining it wasn't good enough.......... Palace have now played 10 league games at home and have shipped 9 goals. Their biggest loss has been 2-0 (twice), and they have conceded 2 goals on just 3 occasions. One of which was Arsenal, who scored a direct free kick and a goal with their hand. 

Yesterday was their first home game in 18 months that they failed to register a shot on target. 

A second goal would have been nice, but this was a controlled away performance. 

I do not really see what this has to do with our performance. People are finding it hard to separate the difference between being happy with the points and being happy with the performance. Every fan is always going to be happy with 3 points. Even if Giroud had scored those 2 goals I still would feel like we had not created enough chances from open play. Like I said before , Palace played awful for 80 mins or so. My main issue was how we used the ball. Not good enough. For the amount of possession that we have other than the Giroud chances and Kante goal I do not remember much else from open play. I think passing the ball around and “controlling” the game does not merit a good performance. If you are not testing the GK or creating many openings then you are basically not using the ball to your best ability. Its clear when teams park the bus we are not great at breaking them down.

I watch other teams and all the 3 teams above us bombard teams that park the bus. They work their backline making hard runs in behind and are constantly moving and overlapping in wide positions . Similar to the Leicester game I do not feel we do any of that to teams that park the bus. We overpass and just dont test the GK enough. Giving stats about Palace home record has nothing to do with how we suffer to break narrow teams down. Its become our clear weakness and every team is realising it now. At the start of the season it felt like we were creating far more chances than we are now. That is why I keep saying these performances are not very convincing due to how much we create. 

You can still give a good performance and lose and be unhappy about the dropped points but happy with the performance. Just like you can win and be happy about 3 points but unhappy about the performance. 

• Like 1

kev61   

Testing testing - do I get a prize for the first post of 2019? - ok as Jim Royale would say '2019 my ass'!

Thought we played well dominating the game, creating chances and not allowing any on our own goal. That we have so many clean sheets this season is a testament to how the team is defending as I don't think Kepa has been more than average. 

Azpi brilliant again, completely smothered their best player and one who has caused us a few problems in the past. His deliverys are improving as well just a shame that no one actually runs to the front post. 

Kante also brilliant and improving every single week with his attacking contributions. Earlier in the season many have asked why he is the furthest foward CM rather than Barkley / Kovacic. From Sarri's comments it seems they are also being asked to get forward they just aren't doing it as well or often. His ability to get in the box and then also get back into position should not be underestimated. 

Injuries in key areas did not help. When the only attacking option you have on the bench is Morata then you have issues. Let's hope RLC, Pedro or CHO are back quick because Morata attitude and performances look like he's already out the door. Is Higuain the long term answer? Not a chance but by virtue of being able to play 90 minutes without getting blown over by a gust of wind he will improve us for 6 months on a loan. A striker who actually gets in the 6 yard box will make a huge difference. 

Think it's time for either Emerson or Zappa to get a game ahead of Alonso who looks like he needs a rest. Not been in great form for a few weeks and his yellow card was probably a key indicator at his frustration with his own game right now. 

After seeing half a season of Barkley playing regularly I still do not rate him at all. He's gone from a frustrating number 10 who would give the ball away often but produce the odd spectacular moment to a nothing ball recycler who rarely does anything at all. The biggest issue is he still has the capacity to give the ball away, often in very bad areas, whilst the spectacular moments are almost never seen. Can press a bit but mostly a liability in defence. It drives me mad that he is on the pitch ahead of Cesc and the fact we may lose him because of it is mind boggling. Games like this are crying out for a player who can pick a pass through the eye of a needle. I have wanted to see Cesc and Jorginho together all season as I think they will compliment each other well but sadly I just don't see it ever happening. 

Edited by samhoward17

kev61   

I used to be good at chess until the accident  I was involved in.Why do some people think that a tweak with a player or tactics here or there will make a difference? when the likes of Morata who stands out like a sore thumb gets ANY playing time.

Players are getting the basics wrong and managers too - why do managers stick with the likes of Morata and Mikel and Torres? - are they fools that haven't a clue - or are they told who to play? .makes no sense to me - there has to be the right answer somewhere in between.

SKY reporting on anti Semitic chanting at ex Spurs player Andros Townsend .

Seeing as they traditionally mic up the away support for added arptmosphere I certainly heard nothing .

Anyone ?