• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Crystal Palace 0 Chelsea 1

Blue Rod   
10 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

SKY reporting on anti Semitic chanting at ex Spurs player Andros Townsend .

Seeing as they traditionally mic up the away support for added arptmosphere I certainly heard nothing .

Anyone ?

It's so tiring. And this is done, not by kids, but by grown up men. Obviosly there have always been people who think that to attend a match is to pay for an opportunity to be an absolute idiot with impunity. I hope that we can correct their assumptions.

kev61   
3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

At least two of us are right then .

Anyway , who's word am I going to believe ?

The bloke who won the Scudetto three times in a row , the Premier League and the FA cup or some bloke off the internet with a pseudonym ?

Mark I admire your patience - this is the guy that thinks Mourhino is still the best in the business ffs .He is like a lawyer with all the qualifications but has no idea about justice.

He talks a good game but really doesn't have a clue and reminds me of some right wing politicians that appeal to the sheep of this world.do yourself a favour Mark stop replying to a person that has a degree in waffle He laughs at other people's posts! Imagine that! Ask zaffo/celery and Blue Rod.

Well I'm definitely more on Marks side of the fence on this one. 

My opinion for what it's worth (and we are ALL speculating because Droy, 'a lot of Italians bought' is not a smoking gun. This club has a history of doing lots of business with italy), the board has the final say on everything. Of course it does as they write the cheques. Now if Conte suggested a player to the board, and made his case and the board agreed, they might well have made an offer. But if Conte suggested a player and the board disagreed with his choice, I reckon he didn't have a snowballs chance in hell of even a derisory offer being made. I suspect the latter is what happened most of the time. I don't know for sure but I'm basing my viewpoint on the things I see and hear with my own eyes and ears. I see Conte angry/grumpy, non smiling. I see him change from his usual sharp suit into a tracksuit while making comments such as "I am only the coach". I hear (admittedly indirectly but widely reported) that he and Marina had a huge bust up and they no longer talk except through a third party. I see him make very very strange team choices and substitutions and then what looks like a loss interest in the title and then top four (some would say verging on sabotage of the team), but I see a real effort to win the FA cup at the possible expense of top 4 . I see a coach apparently daring the club to sack him with a game of "who will blink first " . I see the club bringing him in for two days pre season before sacking him. I see a club leaving statement without a single word of thanks to Conte. I see Conte threatening to sue Chelsea  (don't know the validity of that but several media outlets quoted it and Conte has so far not disputed it). I see players photo shopping Conte out of team photos and saying they will never play for him again. It is a picture of complete chaos.

Now I don't claim to know everything that went on behind the scenes, but any reasonable person should come to the conclusion that Conte felt the board was supporting him in a number of areas (players definitely ,contract maybe), and Chelsea probably thought that they were paying Conte 9 mill a year to coach and he needs to tow the line and coach. Nothing even hints to me that Conte got anything like all the players he asked for and he just had an issue with his contract length. If Chelsea gave Conte what he wanted and then Conte tells a bare faced lie and  said " no they didn't"  then he has some serious physiological issues. I suppose we can't totally rule that out but I know where my money is.     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

This club has a history of doing lots of business with italy

No it doesn't.  Only for Italian managers or pre-RA.  Other than that there is Sheva and Cuadrado.  Can't think of anyone else.

There is a rich history of players from Benelux, France, Spain and Portugal.  Only Ranieri (when we had not football director), Conte and Sarri have bought Italian.
JM 2 (including Sheva) in 6 years.  CA, none.   And I don't think we have ever bought young players out of Italy post RA either.

Maybe you were thinking of Di Santo.

18 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

That's what happens when you don't buy the players the manager wants and get the next best or the next one after that .

I'm glad we finally agree.

This is ludicrous Mark. Are you seriously trying to say that five players out of the Serie A had nothing to do with Conte? 

Jorginho having nothing to do with Sarri? Costa and Fabregas having nothing to do with Mourinho (who was on record multiple times stating the club had got him his targets)? 

Thats a pretty bold statement which I have a hard time to make logic of. 

Beaides, what do you mean by “get the next best”? If the players he did get was his 2nd or 3rd choice players doesn’t that indicate that he must have added them on some sort of list? Like Droy has already stated, not getting your first choice in every position is hardly news. That’s the reality for basically all managers apart from Pep. Even the PSG, Barca and Real managers will have to make do with their 2nd or 3rd choices. 

I think your argument is very weak to be honest. 

17 hours ago, Ham said:

I'm confused as to how it could be anti Semitic towards Townsend if he isn't Jewish.

Don’t worry, in a post-modern world that’s just not an important detail. 

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

We got Borini from Bologna

My apologies, I missed him.  Serie A players we have bought:  Sheva, Cuadrado, a 16 year old Borini, and purchases by Ranieri, Conte and one by Sarri.

paulw66   
42 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

My apologies, I missed him.  Serie A players we have bought:  Sheva, Cuadrado, a 16 year old Borini, and purchases by Ranieri, Conte and one by Sarri.

I have to agree. We bought very few players from Serie A since CA departure in 2011. Conte pitches up and we buy 5, including one that Conte selected for the Italian national team. This is supposed to be a coincedence? Almost as laughable as the idea that had we got Candreva over Zappaocosta, and Sandro over Emerson, then our squad would be any less inbalanced*

*which was the point you initially made that started this back and forth. 

Edit - I notice nobody complains about the Rudiger transfer, whether he was a Conte choice or a board choice (or both). There is a history of succesful signings being credited to the manager, and any poor ones get blamed on the board. 

Nobody knows exaclty what goes on behind closed doors, but a manager can't throw his toys out whenever he doesn't get his tops target. We work within a budget now, and perhaps in the case of Sandro, spending £70m (or whatever it would have taken) on a LWB was deemed as effing mental. I am not sure he is even than good. He hasn't managed more than 20 odd league appearances each season for Juve, which suggests he is either left out a lot, or he is injured a lot. 

I think there is also a case of people taking comments too literally......when Conte said, "I dont buy the players" that is very different to "I have no input in the transfer targets". No modern manager actually buys players any more. The chief exec does (at all clubs) all the negotiating on transfer fee / wages. 

Edited by paulw66

37 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Nobody knows exaclty what goes on behind closed doors, but a manager can't throw his toys out whenever he doesn't get his tops target.

To be fair I don't think Conte ever really did that in public.  On 2 or 3 times before deadline days he was pushed by the press about who we were trying to buy.  His weak English didn't help.  I know from experience that it can be hard to both speak in a foreign language and think about how what you way will be received at the same time.  Some natural linguists can manage both language and "deception" at the same time.  Some non-natural linguists find it like patting their head and rubbing their stomach at the same time - just not possible together.

His denial that he had anything to do with the buying of players was simply a way to get out of the press conference without saying too much.  At the time I don't think anyone took it as anything but a poor joke.  But as soon as press started digging into conflict between board and manager, the quote got dug up time and time again.  Almost always a long time after the last actual quote.

The media twist quotes, and the readers get sucked in. Its the same on every page of the press from Front page to Back.

Why are people still even debating this? Conte went to the board with a ridiculously unrealistic list of targets and quite rightly the board didn't bow down to him.

I'd imagine Sarri would have liked Hamsik and Koulibaly to go with Jorginho,  maybe Mertens too but it was never going to happen. I haven't seen him behave like a petulant child because of it.

I bet if you asked Guardiola who he wanted to sign in the summer he'd probably say Messi but he got Mahrez.

Conte not getting who he wanted is one of the weakest excuses that have been constantly made for him.