• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Nottingham Forest 0

JaneB   
8 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

It's the clubs way of protecting themselves from being caught with their pants down and having unmovable assets on longer term deals. It also helps keep older heads motivated and puts more emphasis on them maintaining their performance levels to earn new contracts. 

It shouldn't be a hard and fast rule, but one applied on a case by case basis. Some players still perform at their peak until 32/33, others rapidly fall off once they hit 30. 

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

1.  It isn't rigid.  There are counter examples and a lot of examples where 29 year olds have been given long deals.

2.  It suits the players as much as the club.  A 1 year deal means you get full pay.  A 2 year deal means you get much less because of the chances that your form will drop off the 2nd year.  If a player really does expect to play regularly for the next 4 years, then single year deals will bring him more money.  Plus you can move on for free if some youngster arrives and starts outperforming you.

Well if you both put it like that I suppose I have to understand.

But thank you, I learn so much coming on here.  Still gutted about the wonderful Cesc though and now it seems his move is being held up until we sign a replacement?

The trouble with me is I follow Chelsea with love not economics.

Edited by JaneB

Sciatika   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

1.  It isn't rigid.  There are counter examples and a lot of examples where 29 year olds have been given long deals.

2.  It suits the players as much as the club.  A 1 year deal means you get full pay.  A 2 year deal means you get much less because of the chances that your form will drop off the 2nd year.  If a player really does expect to play regularly for the next 4 years, then single year deals will bring him more money.  Plus you can move on for free if some youngster arrives and starts outperforming you.

People often don't get this, though it cuts both ways for the older player whose form may drop off and so not be able to get a new contract at the same level. I sometimes wonder if players (and the manager) should only be allowed to have one-year contracts and can only play for one club in any calendar year (and agents should be paid by the player, not the club). The club is hiring the services of the playing and managerial staff for the season in just as theatres might contract actors and singers for a season of performances. Not being allowed to sack a manager or change your entire lineup at Xmas might be a welcome change.

Edited by Sciatika

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

1. How was it backwards step when we won 2 titles with him? He got 20 assists in the 2014/15. Phenomenal. 

Exactly 

now it time to let him go before he become a bench warming player keeping the younger players out because the current coach is in awe of the senior players. 

Blue Rod   
8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

1. How was it backwards step when we won 2 titles with him? He got 20 assists in the 2014/15. Phenomenal. 

2. KdB and Salah (in particualr) don't play in his positio. KdB left Chlesea 6 months before Cesc joined, so I fail to see any correlation between them leaving and him joining. 

Well, there is a correlation. The average age of the team correlates with its average speed, its intensity of play, and its collective stamina. For every Fabregas, there has to be a Kante to do the running. You may win trophies with older players but you can also win with a younger squad that lasts.

With all due respect, Fabregas came to us in the declining part of his career, and it showed when we came up against top European opponents. He could still pick a pass,  but losing a yard to the ball makes a lot of difference. 

Yes, we let go a young KDB, then 6 months later signed a player in the waning stage of his career. You've made my point. A backward move, imo.

Edited by Blue Rod

GURJ SS   
On 1/6/2019 at 0:56 AM, Droy was my hero said:

No, we'd just have sold Hazard and Willian instead and have never bought Costa.  We bought far too much talent for one club then, some of it had to be let go.  
And we might well have kept Schurrle and Zouma and two or three others and not got the likes of Kante and Rudiger.
Some in some out is the way it goes.

Hazard was never going to be sold, Willian was not needed but Jose wanted to hunt Silverware instead of putting his effort into developing players. The club as a whole went for short term success instead of what they wanted to be which was a powerhouse, by selling players that have gone on to be massive worldwide names we've lost out in the big boys game in the long run. We didn't have too much talent, if we did then someone better go tell Man City to start selling quickly.

GURJ SS   
On 1/6/2019 at 5:51 AM, xCELERYx said:

I think winning something is neither here nor there for us at this point in time. In fact, winning something may actually hurt us longer term because the board could view the squad as being good enough when in reality it's merely papered cover cracks yet again.

Unless we have senior players who are performing to their abilities, their spot in the side should be up for grabs. With some of the younger lads in these positions given a chance. They're ultimately the ones who could well be our future if handled correctly, and we've certainly got a couple who show first team talent. 

Don't get me wrong, if CHO or any other young player with talent takes one of the older guys place then I'm happy with it, now is the time to bed them in. In my opinion I think Sarri did well to balance the dynamics of the dressing room but he should have gone with Christensen or made a CB a priority, Luiz has too many faults in his game to be around any longer than this season.

2 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Hazard was never going to be sold,

And Salah was never going to take his place.

3 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

The club as a whole went for short term success instead of what they wanted to be which was a powerhouse,

Thank RA for that then, because the only way to be a powerhouse is to match the PSG/City budget, and the club has no plans for that.
Even if Salah was today a Chelsea player we'd have to sell him - we can't afford 2 players demanding £350k a week.  
2 wonderful PL titles later, it is clear the club did the right thing.

2 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Luiz has too many faults in his game to be around any longer than this season.

One of those weird campaigns about our better players.  Alonso, Luiz, Fabregas, Willian, it all gets made up and repeated.

GURJ SS   
20 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

And Salah was never going to take his place.

Thank RA for that then, because the only way to be a powerhouse is to match the PSG/City budget, and the club has no plans for that.
Even if Salah was today a Chelsea player we'd have to sell him - we can't afford 2 players demanding £350k a week.  
2 wonderful PL titles later, it is clear the club did the right thing.

One of those weird campaigns about our better players.  Alonso, Luiz, Fabregas, Willian, it all gets made up and repeated.

Salah plays on the right.

Salah has only just got to £200,000, we wouldn't have had to sell him at all. We can't say we wouldn't have won what we won if we hadn't sold them, also with more talent to provide a challenge and keep the squad fresh we'd have probably won more. I'd blame RA instead of Jose if he'd got the job done a Man U, but he seemed to be going down the same path before the club stepped in.

Alonso - brilliant football brain and smashing left foot, but as a fullback he lacks one major thing and that's speed. Players retire as fullbacks when their speed starts to go or they decide to not push forward; Alonso bombs forward and then gets left behind. Great player but not someone you can build a flank with(especially when the guy in front (LW) isn't going to help defend, I'd stick him upfront as a target man though).

Luiz - He has fire and gets physical nwhen needed, but he still switches off far too often at the age of 30, he still gets drawn into the ball, in a back 3 brilliant because he's aggressive enough to stop the ball before if reaches a deeper area but as a back 2 he's just too shakey, especially when the guy next to him is also a more ball playing defender. Too many flaws.

Fabregas - We've just got rid of our best midfielder and possibly player.

Willian - Box to box midfielder or wing back, never an attacking mid/winger. His own worst enemy, should have picked a position where he has a simple job to do and has very little time to pick a choice, instead he receives the ball and then can't decide what to do and hasn't got the ability to run direct towards goal; so it ends up with recycling possession far too often for a player in his position.

Edited by GURJ SS

1 minute ago, GURJ SS said:

I'd blame RA instead of Jose if he'd got the job done a Man U, but he seemed to be going down the same path before the club stepped in.

He did.  When will Man U ever win 2 trophies in a season again?  When will they next get 81 points in a season?  The second highest win rate of any Man U manager since WW1.

It's the Alonso, Willian, Drogba Malouda thing, some people can look straight at something good and refuse to see it.

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

Hazard was never going to be sold, Willian was not needed but Jose wanted to hunt Silverware instead of putting his effort into developing players. The club as a whole went for short term success instead of what they wanted to be which was a powerhouse, by selling players that have gone on to be massive worldwide names we've lost out in the big boys game in the long run. We didn't have too much talent, if we did then someone better go tell Man City to start selling quickly.

Yep, that about says it all methinks.