• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Christian Pulisic

It sounds like a lot of money for a 20 year old “prospect”,  but surely it’s worth factoring in his commercial value for the club in the USA. That fee might be seen as a bargain if things go well for him. 

Unlike many here, I’m not impressed by this transfer. We’ve spent top money on a player who is not known for goal scoring when we need realiable goal scorer more than anything. Hopefully he can improve on that with us. 

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You buy a 20 year old, and the club are wasting money on a "prospect", you buy a 28+ year old, and the club are wasting money on a "has been" 

Narrow age window we are allowed to sign players without anyone getting upset. 

interesting signing, especially as we had less to offer than the bin-dippers in terms of guaranteeing CL football next season - hopefully it will mean the exit door for the likes of Willian and Pedro

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

Hope we are getting some players in now. Otherwise we risk he comes to a team out of all euro competitions

paulw66   
20 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

interesting signing, especially as we had less to offer than the bin-dippers in terms of guaranteeing CL football next season - hopefully it will mean the exit door for the likes of Willian and Pedro

Understnad the Willian frustrations, but Pedro has consistently scored goals since he arrived. 

50 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Hope we are getting some players in now. Otherwise we risk he comes to a team out of all euro competitions

Yes. I think when Sarri said he wanted a winger, he actually meant for this season, not next. 

GURJ SS   

Great signing, this kid has great ability and will certainly strengthen us, also he will only get better. However I'm disappointed at the club in negotiating the deal, we've done well to acquire someone like him because it'll let other players know that we are serious about building a squad under Sarri, but having paid big money for him we shouldn't have let him be loaned back, it seems like we've given the full asking price and also agreed to loan him back where for £58M he should be joining us right away - because the bottom line is we need him now.

The only thing I can think of is that Sarri is still deciding between getting rid of either Willian or Pedro and going with Hudson for next season or getting rid of CHO and keeping the older players. CHO either needs to step up or he'll be gone, to put it into perspective Pulisic is 2 years older than CHO but plays like he's at least 4 years older. Ignoring the stats, Pulisic is twice the player, now I know he has had more game time but he's also not had the luxury which CHO has right now. The luxury is CHO is coming on with 20-30 mins left in a game and in those minutes he needs to gas himself out showing what he's capable of while having little responsibility. Take a look at how players like Hazard, Ronaldo, Sterling and Rooney came about, they'd get 20mins to make an impact and they'd explode with everything they've got; even Walcott and Chamberlain did the same to get to where they are today, but CHO just looks weak without any fight, much like RLC; is our academy too nice to our top talent and they think it's all too easy?

Back to Pulisic, I hope he is coming in to partner Hazard but I'm actually quite worried because he has been loaned out that he is here to replace him. If Pulisic had come in now it would have only helped in Hazard's negotiations, because Hazard would have had a few month of experiencing how our football will be with someone with an end product partnering him; instead we are 'getting ready' for next season rather than building on what we have.

Sciatika   

I don't think he is being bought as a replacement for CHO (or Hazard). He is right-sided. I think he seems more like a replacement for Pedro or Willian when they finally go.

Edited by Sciatika

16 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

but having paid big money for him we shouldn't have let him be loaned back

I guess the Dortmund have said they might sell him in the summer  if we pay cash up front so they can get another player, and we have said have the cash 6 months early.  It's a summer signing, done early.

18 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

is our academy too nice to our top talent and they think it's all too easy?

I think there is a lot in that.

19 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

even Walcott and Chamberlain did the same to get to where they are today

The Academy young kids really ought to choose has long been Southampton's.  

22 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I don't think he is being bought as a replacement for CHO (or Hazard). He is right-sided. I think he seems more like a replacement for Pedro or Willian when they finally go.

Quite right, his signing will have no negative impact on Hazard, if anything, along with signing Kepa, Jorginho and hopefully Kovacic, extending the contracts of Azpilicueta,  Kante and Alonso it shows how ambitious we are and hopefully he will want to be part of it.