• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Christian Pulisic

Kezza   

Not sure how beneficial this sign and loan back to club thing is. Don't see any incentive for Dortmund to play him now knowing he's not theirs. Rather continue to blood Sancho. 6 months of low intensity and fewer appearances for Pulisic.

Edited by Kezza

6 hours ago, Kezza said:

Not sure how beneficial this sign and loan back to club thing is. Don't see any incentive for Dortmund to play him now knowing he's not theirs. Rather continue to blood Sancho. 6 months of low intensity and fewer appearances for Pulisic.

Ir's just an early summer purchase.  Same as we did with Cech and Robben - that went fine.

On 04/01/2019 at 9:34 AM, paulw66 said:

SWP remains the biggest dissapointment of the RA for me. 

Sheva was old, and Torres was crocked, but SWP was bought at a good age on the back of a really impressive season at City, and was RUBBISH!

SWP should never have been brought as he was over hyped and even in his 'great' season displayed a lot of technical deficiencies. I remember when we brought him and was fuming. I think if we take inflation into account he is probably the worst signing £ for £ in the Roman era as £21m in 2006 must be along the lines if £50m+ these days. 

xCELERYx   
On 05/01/2019 at 4:19 PM, Kezza said:

Don't really get it either. It's not as if he's really contributing as it is, he's 16th of 23 in terms of league minutes played this season for Dortmund (483 minutes). That list includes 2 GK's as well. 

jones   
1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

Don't really get it either. It's not as if he's really contributing as it is, he's 16th of 23 in terms of league minutes played this season for Dortmund (483 minutes). That list includes 2 GK's as well. 

Suppose it is financially, and not sportingly motivated. Dortmund did not want to let him go now, and Chelsea wanted it done now. It is a compromise, and one that makes sense long term. Just indicate how much the club wanted this deal.

Dortmund are in the title hunt, which bodes well for Pulisic as they will want to play the best players. And whether he plays 500 or 1000 or 1500 minutes in the last half of the season, is not going to have a lot of impact on his development.

xCELERYx   
10 minutes ago, jones said:

Suppose it is financially, and not sportingly motivated. Dortmund did not want to let him go now, and Chelsea wanted it done now. It is a compromise, and one that makes sense long term. Just indicate how much the club wanted this deal.

Dortmund are in the title hunt, which bodes well for Pulisic as they will want to play the best players. And whether he plays 500 or 1000 or 1500 minutes in the last half of the season, is not going to have a lot of impact on his development.

Most likely, keeps a commercial interest in the US for a little longer I suppose, while still getting a hefty fee for a player that is barely getting a run and has been effectively replaced already. 

As for his development. According to a number of Dortmund supporters they seem to suggest his development has already stagnated over the last 12 months or so from what I've read. Although still obviously talented in his own right, you're right in that playing more minutes between now and end of season probably doesn't change a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. 

Still personally indifferent about the deal. Doesn't really seem the type of player we need, but I suppose we'll wait and see. Just hope it works out, we can't afford to have it not. 

2 hours ago, jones said:

It is an early deal, not a late arrival.

22 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

It is an early deal, not a late arrival.

Exactly. What did people think the Robben deal was? Same thing. Exactly the same thing. 

We wanted Pulisic and Dortmund were happy to sell as he wouldn’t sign a new contract. The timing just ensures us being the winners. I’ve also read reports stating that Pulisic himself didn’t want to join mid-season but rather joining in the summer having a full pre-season with the club before playing. 

bert19   
5 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Exactly. What did people think the Robben deal was? Same thing. Exactly the same thing. 

We wanted Pulisic and Dortmund were happy to sell as he wouldn’t sign a new contract. The timing just ensures us being the winners. I’ve also read reports stating that Pulisic himself didn’t want to join mid-season but rather joining in the summer having a full pre-season with the club before playing. 

I'd also wager that agreeing that he comes in the summer rather than now saved us £15-20m on his transfer fee too....

It's the exact same as the Naby Keita deal Liverpool made about 12 months before he joined. Sometimes in order to sign a highly coveted player you need to go early. I'm just happy he will be joining on day one of pre-season rather than deadline day. 

Also heard murmers that there's a transfer ban coming and this is our way of navigating it. That would provide a few problems.